closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    When you say 'top tip', do you mean 'life hack'?
    Absolutely not. Life Hack is an adult phrase and I’ve not developed beyond childhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    But wait no bottle opener if you used all that ammo up before lunch you will need to open up a beer, I suppose you could just hack the top off with one of those knives instead but I know what I would do.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

EDC is just grown men with too much time on their hands curating some trinkets which they desperately hope they can engineer a use for during the day which will garner them some attention in an otherwise meaningless existence.

The rest of us just have the essential stuff in our pockets, then scrabble around asking to borrow pens and paper or enlist the other half with 'where are the scissors?!' for that one instance every few days when we need to open a packet or box the postman just brought.

A good rule of thumb: If someone uses Field Notes notepads, they're an irritating try-hard. It's probably filled with fruit Latte recipe ideas.

Men buying "tactical" items is the next level down in sadness (though for maximum effect, of course, tactical and EDC are combined). These are people who are basically pretending they are in the army to themselves, thinking that other people think it is cool and deluding themselves that they have "special spy powers".
    Last edited by 200mwaterresistant; 19th September 2018 at 06:46.

Perhaps I’m missing something but in my nearly half century on the planet I’ve never found it necessary to carry any kind of knife about my person, apart from in obvious scenarios like going fishing. I did have a leatherman micro attached to a key ring for a few days which was given to me as a gift, but I’d put my hand in my pocket and my finger would go ‘between the handles’ and I got a couple of knicks in my finger tips from the scissors, so they went into a drawer somewhere. Phone has a torch, Apple Pay and most things I need - car keys and a £20 note, job done. All this edc stuff looks like macho nonsense to me

Craftsman
    Interesting concept, hilarious execution - though wallet keys phone probably makes a dull vlog.

I will confess I added the smallest folding knife I could find to the key ring - won’t do much in the zombie apocalypse but it’s actually useful nearly every day

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I don't mind the EDC thing, after all people always find a name for all sorts of ideas.

I suspect that manufacturers are the ones that came up with it to boost sales and offer people things they don't need.

Personally i have always carried a knife but I suspect the need does arise from your current job or lifestyle, if I had no need I would not, likewise with a torch. So for me it is always most convenient to put certain things in my pockets at the beginning of every day, they are though things I use, not things I may potentially use.

Realistically it is just a good marketing term to encourage people to buy and carry trinkets they will never use or need.

Master
    Phone, Wallet, Watch, Keys and Leatherman.

Am i an EDC guy?

Should i photograph these things for everyone?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Condoms, wallet and bail money..........check.

I doubt that you'll ever need more than a Spartan. (Although, to undermine my own point, there's a Gerber Shard on the ring there...)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    EDC is just grown men with too much time on their hands curating some trinkets which they desperately hope they can engineer a use for during the day which will garner them some attention in an otherwise meaningless existence.

This made me think of divers watches...

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    This made me think of divers watches...
    Exactly. For most people a phone covers telling the time.

If I can remember my house keys & phone, it's a plus...

Although for the brogue-toting style hounds among us, this is how to present your everyday carry :

I carry loads of stuff with me everyday, some of it is about the climate here, some about being self sufficient, some about helping others, some of it because my life revolves around one of two houses that I live in, and my work.

I have a small rucksack to carry my stuff in. An extra pouch that filts on the bottom of the pack to give me 5 litres of space, useful for dirty clothes, or books that I might pick up, or anything that is wet, and I want to keep away from others. I have some waterproof trousers, hat and gloves as I use public transport whenever possible and have to walk between it and work/home etc. I use my pushbike whenever the wind and time allows including cycling 18 miles with a fridge on a trailer on the bike to go to the recycling centre. The weather here can quickly change, and with the almost constant wind, the water is driven into every crevice. I always carry an iPad and or a laptop, depending on what I need. I also carry a book, the latest copy of Private Eye and a set of BT headphones and my work keys plus spare charging cables. On me I carry home keys, pen, notepad (for quick notes or shopping lists), keys, wallet, old Nokia phone, business cards, knife (I struggle to open some packaging these days, and often receive post in Tyvek envelopes or bound with yards of packing tape). It's used daily, at least once a day. The blade is 1.75 inches, so it rarely gets a comment. I am often asked to lend it to people. I also carry a pocket camera everywhere. I am of course wearing a watch.

Most people don't carry the amount of stuff that I do, but they usually step out of their homes and walk a few feet to their car, drive to work, walk a few yards from the car park, drive to the supermarket, walk a few yards to the door etc. The car serves many purposes, from transporting you, to keeping you dry, to charging your gadgets, to carrying loads.

I tend to be the bloke that resolves problems for the under-prepared!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps 2 types of EDC

Those for which it’s a hobby and those that use/need the stuff they carry because they are out and about rather than office bound.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    If I can remember my house keys & phone, it's a plus...

Although for the brogue-toting style hounds among us, this is how to present your everyday carry :
    I give up on that video as soon as he called his handbag a briefcase.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    But at least you can use it for one of its purposes, even if diving with it will never happen. How many times will a compass or whatever be needed in urban life, let alone the other stuff?
    I use a compass regularly for navigating in cities I don't know.
    You come out of a metro station, it is a cloudy day so you cannot see the position of the sun. So I use it to work out the direction I need to walk in to the office or the hotel.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I carry loads of stuff with me everyday, some of it is about the climate here, some about being self sufficient, some about helping others, some of it because my life revolves around one of two houses that I live in, and my work.
    I am a regular traveler abroad, colleagues always joke about the weight of my laptop rucksack but I like to be self sufficient and prepared. So I carry a few what you might say 'EDC' items. Torch, penknife, spare phone charger, cables, spare phone, batteries, protein snack bars, mints, compass, screwdrivers, plyers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I give up on that video as soon as he called his handbag a briefcase.
    There is that.

Although I do tend to call my briefcase "my handbag".

Craftsman
    To me it's just an excuse to spend money on shiny ornaments, but each to his own.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    I am a regular traveler abroad, colleagues always joke about the weight of my laptop rucksack but I like to be self sufficient and prepared. So I carry a few what you might say 'EDC' items. Torch, penknife, spare phone charger, cables, spare phone, batteries, protein snack bars, mints, compass, screwdrivers, plyers etc.
    Do you use them?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Exactly. For most people a phone covers telling the time.
    I would say that for most people a watch covers telling the time. Often seen a wrist check, getting your phone out? Not unless you are actually using it.

EDC all coincides with man bags and hipster's, you can have lots of "cool" items with you all day but need your man bag to carry them, this is because your hipster jeans are so tight you can't get a cash point receipt in your pocket let alone a tactical USB.

Would be interesting to see a woman’s EDC. What exactly is in their handbags?

Master
    As a 12-year old at boarding school, we were expected always to carry a comb, clean hankie, pen or pencil, notebook or diary. Swiss Army penknives were optional, though most of us had them and prefects were allowed a sheath knife on the belt. Nobody ever stabbed anyone else though we did carve bits of wood, cut open parcels from home and cut up apples.

40 years on and I carry much the same, though it’s a mini Leatherman now, and the iPhone replaces the calendar. Plus, of course, without Matron to let me in, I need a set of keys...

Phone, wallet, keys.
    Keys usually have a leatherman squirt attached to it.

'EDC' is mostly a marketing manguff exercise, but then so is most of the watch related crap you seen on here. People mostly just need something to fill their time with (and spend their money on :))). Arguing with other people, mostly strangers, on forums about this stuff is also an option.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I often forget my phone, I'm bloody sure I wouldn't want to try and carry round all of that other useless guff as well into the surburban jungle.

The whole EDC thing is quite hilarious really.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Proper EDC from across the pond.

Extra marks if you get the maths right or can tell what watch he is wearing.

https://youtu.be/5vRYKgyrjiI
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Too dumb to count...yet they carry firearms. Brilliant.

At a loss on the watch, I am actually pleased I could not identify it!

Looks like he has sausages for fingers. Reckon he could even get them on a trigger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to find a folder, torch and multitool handy in Saudi.

Wouldn't bother with the knife in the UK now, even a UK legal one, not with the way our knife laws are going and the cluster of knife attacks the last lot of months.

Still have a bladeless leatherman multi-tool i keep on me and a torch, if i'm driving somewhere that is.
    Last edited by tekbow; 26th September 2018 at 17:04.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    I used to find a folder, torch and multitool handy in Saudi.

Wouldn't bother with the knife in the UK now, even a UK legal one, not with the way our knife laws are going and the cluster of knife attacks the last lot of months.

Still have a bladeless leatherman multi-tool i keep on me and a torch, if i'm driving somewhere that is.
    Yet you carrying a knife will affect this how.? I just read my comment....it does not come over well on the Internet, no rudeness meant. What I mean is , carry a knife if you need to, what these scum sucking divs do, all stabbing each other has no relevance on the way you conduct your self.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Yet you carrying a knife will affect this how.? I just read my comment....it does not come over well on the Internet, no rudeness meant. What I mean is , carry a knife if you need to, what these scum sucking divs do, all stabbing each other has no relevance on the way you conduct your self.
    Cops in scotland are becoming less tolerant of any kind of knife, UK legal or not, and they'll try it on.

Someone nearly got convicted a couple years back with a SAK. Cops tried to claim the corkscrew was a push dagger, or otherwise offensive weapon.

That's the thing about the offensive weapons act. Anything can be an offensive weapon under certain circumstances and penknives are even less hard to justify.

Plus your average fella carrying a pocket knife is a much easier target for arrest quotas. If for whatever reason they happen to catch you with one, you're a much less troublesome collar than a chav with priors.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    They are not stabbing each other with a SAK it’s getting ridiculous this paranoia.

I know that, you know that, but an easy collar is an easy collar.

Craftsman
    I would be interested in the truth to that account. I would put money on the facts either telling a story that any-one would see as rational for the arrest or, and more likely, it is all cobblers.

I'm relaying that anecdotally, from one of the british outdoor forums i used to be on. More formally, there's this from 2010 when things weren't even as strict.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/17...-land-in-court

Craftsman
    Cheers.

I will choose to believe it is total cobblers then!

Things are not that bad. The Police still understand the laws.

Cheers.

I will choose to believe it is total cobblers then!

Things are not that bad. The Police still understand the laws.
    Did you read the linked article though? A disabled man was prosecuted for having a SAK in his glove compartment.

That's actually worse than my relayed anecdote.

I have taken to storing spare batteries in a lift instant lemon tea container...

It's only my DDC, though... Diving Day Carry

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    Did you read the linked article though? A disabled man was prosecuted for having a SAK in his glove compartment.

That's actually worse than my relayed anecdote.

No, sorry, I have found over the years that the press tend to print total rubbish weaving a story generally round one thread of the truth.
    A SAK is legal carry so that would never have rendered a prosecution in of itself. To be prosecuted there would have had to have been other factors that turned this article into an offensive weapon.
    The fact that he was disabled is really immaterial, I have met a fair few disabled folk who were total arses. Proportionally the same as people that have no disabilities! Human nature is human nature disabled or not.

Craftsman
    What do people do with their days to require utilising all this stuff? I hate taking anything but the bare essentials with me. What possible use do people have more a pen knife in day to day life?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    What do people do with their days to require utilising all this stuff? I hate taking anything but the bare essentials with me. What possible use do people have more a pen knife in day to day life?
    I am suprised you need to ask. Not every-one works in an office or in a role where one is not needed. A knife remains a tool. Use your imagination.

Craftsman
    I am suprised you need to ask. Not every-one works in an office or in a role where one is not needed. A knife remains a tool. Use your imagination.
    I still don’t get the need. I appreciate not everyone works in an office. I take EDC to refer to items you don’t leave the house without. If I was popping to the shops I’m not sure why I would need anything other than phone, keys, wallet etc.

I still don’t get the need. I appreciate not everyone works in an office. I take EDC to refer to items you don’t leave the house without. If I was popping to the shops I’m not sure why I would need anything other than phone, keys, wallet etc.

I’m with you 100%. All this manly talk of daily knife use confuses the life out of me. If I’m off camping or fishing, fine - but if I was stopped by the police with a penknife and I had to explain I needed it for opening parcels or whittling apples I don’t think I’d be very convincing!

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it’s UK street legal you don’t have to explain.

I find it staggering,have you seen what they carry in Corsica,Sardinia,Spain etc.?

They laugh when I am trying to find sub 3” non locking.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This little knife I got in Portugal on the motorbike road trip I got back from today.

It also has a little fork at the other end,I used it to remove tea bags when I had a brew in my room.
    It’s a good slicer ideal for snacks on the road and opening bottles,I also bought a standard slip joint.
    I bought a fixed blade for my kitchen,the lady in the shop gave me the dark handled one for free after I admired the way she used it.
    Lots of cheese and meat shops used that size I also saw them being used in a cobblers.
    The appeal to me is they are working class tools nothing else.

I also bought a traditional Asturias knife and one from the Grenada region,all of a similar construction.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This kindly lady was using them in the shop up the mountain next to the old early warning centre in Portugal.

No, sorry, I have found over the years that the press tend to print total rubbish weaving a story generally round one thread of the truth.
    A SAK is legal carry so that would never have rendered a prosecution in of itself. To be prosecuted there would have had to have been other factors that turned this article into an offensive weapon.
    The fact that he was disabled is really immaterial, I have met a fair few disabled folk who were total arses. Proportionally the same as people that have no disabilities! Human nature is human nature disabled or not.
    The article clearly states that some SAK's have locking blades which are illegal (and I'm assuming the gentleman in question had one of those ).

Craftsman

Yes but that is because you do not have any need. Many do in their work.
    EDC for me is what I always carry, I don't think about whether I am leaving the house, I just have these items on me. We all lead very different lives.
    Here is an example for me, yesterday, woke up. In to pockets ...clean handkerchief (once a Boy Scout) small torch, penknife, pencil. Every day I carry these because I know that during the day I am likely to need them and it saves me looking for them.
    Torch only got used later when walking the dogs. Hanky stayed clean, today there was no maiden in distress. Knife, used for scoring marks on wood on gate I am making, cutting my apple at lunch and then cutting cord while using a brushcutter.
    Yes, some lifestyles do not need a knife, fine, but many out there do. If you don't get it you must live and work in a town?
    As I say, use your imagination.
    Last edited by Carl.1; 27th September 2018 at 07:35.