closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100,000 Miles!

100,000 Miles!

Just as I parked today my car hit 100,000 miles!

It’s a 2007 (07) Xsara Picasso which has been an incredible family car for the six and a half years I’ve owned it.

I bought it with 23,000 miles on and it’s still on the same set of brakes! It recently passed it's MOT too.

These crappy French cars eh ;)

[URL="https://postimg.cc/FdbKRkbC"][IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/DZH4xqSh/66_B8_B3_C0
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 18th September 2018 at 20:28.

That is very good going on original brakes!

This thread is a bit of coincidence as our Alfa 159Ti just broke 100k this afternoon on the return trip from Brighton. Another brand that is slated for its reliability, we have only owned it three years and done 30k but its been brilliant as a cheap run around.

Used to change our 406s at 100,000, still plenty of life left in them.

Buy a lottery ticket.

My old Citroen BX 1.9 managed 186,000 before I sold it. After which it did another 60k before being written off by a coach. My brand new ZX 1.9 Turbo did over 120k before I sold it to my sister who put another 40k on it before she moved it on.

Great cars.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Long story but I inherited a Citroen BX many years ago with over 250,000 miles on it (was a reps car!) Cost me nothing and I did not use it but sold it straight on.
    When I rang around touting it and told them the mileage, I got some right coughs n spluters LOL!! Sold though!!

A motoring milestone! My abarth 500 from 2013 is on 99400 so should join you in a fortnight

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Great going. Original breaks. You sure!??

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

I didn’t say original brakes, they’re the brakes that were on when I bought it 77,000 miles ago so yes I’m sure I’ve never changed them.

I do think most cars will easily do 100k if not abused,the nearest I’ve been was a Toyota Corolla with 95 on it and it pulled like it had 20k on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    That is very good going on original brakes!

This thread is a bit of coincidence as our Alfa 159Ti just broke 100k this afternoon on the return trip from Brighton. Another brand that is slated for its reliability, we have only owned it three years and done 30k but its been brilliant as a cheap run around.
    My wife had an Alfa 156 Diesel as a company car back in 2001/2002. Put 120k on it. Never had any problem. At the same time, I drove a brand-new Merc C class... During here Alfa-period. she picked me up from the Merc dealer a few times... That car received 2(!!!) new engines during that two year period!

(* first engine after 5k... jammed piston due to oil starvation. Second engine same problem after 4k. After searching, the factory found out that there was a problem with the oil transport inside the block. The third engine was a good one - so in our house, Merc's reputation is lower than Alfa's)

M

100k miles is a lot of time spent in the one car, don’t you get bored ?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    100k miles is a lot of time spent in the one car, don’t you get bored ?
    Yes and I’d like a new car but it’s neither affordable or important. The car does what we need it to do and that’s enough for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Yes and I’d like a new car but it’s neither affordable or important. The car does what we need it to do and that’s enough for me.
    Also, one man's "bored" is another's "happy I don't have to learn where everything is all over again".

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

I don't think Zsara Picasso's go fast enough to need them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don't think Zsara Picasso's go fast enough to need them.
    Not far from the truth!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Diesel engines if maintained can easily run for 300k-400k miles, low revving diesel truck engines can pass 1Million miles!

A national accounts manager at a company I used to work for put 93,000 miles on a Mk3 Cortina in one year. When you worked out how many hours it would have taken to drive 93,000 miles, you realised that he wasn't actually doing any work.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    A few of my friends have had the same car and they've been very reliable. It's called "Xsara Picasso" here in Finland.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    A national accounts manager at a company I used to work for put 93,000 miles on a Mk3 Cortina in one year. When you worked out how many hours it would have taken to drive 93,000 miles, you realised that he wasn't actually doing any work.

Eddie
    At an average 40 mph, ~290 days driving for 8 hours. Or he rented it out to a mini cab driver nights and weekends ;-)

I often get in Taxis in the City where I live and they have done 350,000 miles, admittedly they don't use French Cars though, so maybe this is an impressive milestone.

Master
    We bought a Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi as a temporary car when my wife broke her car (again). Ended up keeping it 3 years and went from 110,000 to 160,000 without me ever having to put a spanner anywhere near it...... not even annual servicing.

Sold it 4 years ago and it's still driving around the town to this day.

Master
    I had a mk 3 golf that I bought new in 1995, non turbo 1.9 diesel, and ran it between myself and wife up to 155k before selling to her sister in law. Two sets of glow plugs, two sets of brake discs, original clutch and exhaust when sold. I did pop into Kwik fit every 5k and change oil and filter tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Used to change our 406s at 100,000, still plenty of life left in them.
    I sold a 406 with 260,000 on the clock. I'd bought it with <50k.

I got £70 for it from the chap who used to tidy the garden for my Mum. 2 years later he overtook me in it on the A35.

The only (recurring) problem was the rear suspension, but other than that it was about the most reliable car I ever had.

I've taken some over 100,000 and a few others nearly got there:

VW Scirocco 1.6 GLi bought at 70k - sold at 120k (first car for me!)

Nissan Maxima QX 3.0 SE+ bought at 95k - sold at 125k

Lexus GS430 bought at 22k - sold at 105k

Others that were close:

Rover 414SLi bought at 25k - sold at 85k
    Nissan QX 3.0SE (a different one) bought at 16k - written off at 78k (ex wife crashed the blooming thing!)
    Renault Laguna Dynamique 1.9dci sport tourer bought new - sold at 75k (I would bet good money that it never made 100k!)
    Jaguar X-Type 3.0SE bought at 30k - sold at 85k

I think that pretty much any modern (i.e. sub 15 year old) car should easily be capable of 100k miles with sensible maintenance (barring accidents - see above).

Cheers,

Mark C

I haven't had a car with less than 100k on it for several years.

I took a petrol BMW 5 (1999 reg year) series from 90k to 198k (it sold to someone here and kept going beyond that), then I had a diesel 5 series (2000 reg year) from 155k until it died at 236k (it only died because it was too expensive to repair). Then 2 years with a Mini Cooper S from 118k to 128k. Just bought a Golf GTi with 155k on it. When I had the BMWs I used to do reasonable mileage annually and they were fine. These days I'm doing less than 5k per year, I think.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I had a coolant hose break loose, but other than that I'm happy with this. 159Ti going strong passed 111,111 miles.

You people with all your luck getting to 100k with no issues on the car!

Car number 1: 2001 Punto, bought in 2006 for £2500 on 42k miles. Ran for 6 years to 102k, total cost of keeping on the road including servicing: £3500. New power steering, power coil, new ECU due to engine misfire of cylinder 3, head gasket (twice, second one killed it), 2 exhausts (including lambda sensor failure due to cheap exhaust cat, 2 sets of front discs (one set warped), water pump and cam belt, oil sump (corroded from underneath). Eventually the cause of death was a leak in the heater matrix causing coolant to ingress the passenger footwell causing the second head gasket failure.

Car number 2: 2005 Megane, bought in 2013 for £3850 at 37k miles. Ran until April 2018 to 101k, total cost of keeping on the road including servicing: £4900. New front suspension springs, new macpherson struts (speed bump filled city), passenger window regulator (twice), starter motor and battery, new rear discs 3 times due to integrated hub failures on 2 occasions, new fronts once. Exhaust, glow plugs, glow plug control module, auxiliary belt 3 times (twice under garage warranty due to squealing) cam belt and water pump. £600 on trying to work out why the air con only held charge for 2 months before failing, new pipes, condenser and seals kit.

Touch wood, no issues at all with the new car which I plan on keeping to see 100k again as long as it doesn't cost double what it cost to get it there!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got an E36 318 that comes into the garage. Just clocked past 380,000 miles!

Blog Entries
    I had a Citroen Picasso…. It was made on a Friday afternoon…. I had an awful experience and don’t care to repeat…. It’s great you’ve done so well out of yours

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I had a Citroen Picasso…. It was made on a Friday afternoon…. I had an awful experience and don’t care to repeat…. It’s great you’ve done so well out of yours
    We’ve all had Friday afternoon cars :(

- - - Updated - - -

Bloody hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I've got an E36 318 that comes into the garage. Just clocked past 380,000 miles!

bought a citroen CX25 with 225000 miles on it - very long lived engines those 2.5s

I bought a Mercedes e350 coupe 2010 5 years ago with 74,000 on the clock. It drove like new , just changed the bushes and that was it .

On holiday in Greece you see all the Mercedes Taxis with over 500,000 on the clock.

Mileage doesn’t scare me as I don’t do much myself so will happily buy a higher miler knowing my miles will average it back down when I come to sell.

A thorough service history , Owners 1-2 max and is what I look for .

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Likewise.

Last car (BMW) sailed past 110,000 before we swapped, except normal wear and tear I was faultless.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I had a company BMW 325i back in 2001 and I did 125,000 miles in it from new over 3 years, it still drove like new when it went back

Master
    127000 for our Mazda 6. Going fine (and has caused us little to no trouble) but this might be the year to replace it. In two minds.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    2008 Range Rover TDV8 with 170,000+ miles.
    Still makes me smile every time I get in it.

Master
    My old Jeep Grand Cherokee at 123456. Sold to a mate in 2013, whom then sold it to his mate a couple of years later, still going strong and approaching 190k👍

100,000 Miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan;
    Is it dark green? There’s an old boy who lives near us with one, when parked on his driveway it has all 4 wheels clamped and as an added safety measure he has some string attached near the back bumper, through his letter box and which is then tied to his bannister.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 18th September 2018 at 14:26.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Is it dark green? There’s an old boy who lives near us with one, when parked on his driveway it has all 4 wheels clamped and as an added safety measure he has some string attached near the back bumper, through his letter box and which is then tied to his bannister.
    No. Blue.
    Love the string around the bannister! Great.

104,000 in my trusted Mondeo. Apart from servicing and tyres not spent a bean. I waiting for everything to go at once now lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I had a mk 3 golf that I bought new in 1995, non turbo 1.9 diesel, and ran it between myself and wife up to 155k before selling to her sister in law. Two sets of glow plugs, two sets of brake discs, original clutch and exhaust when sold. I did pop into Kwik fit every 5k and change oil and filter tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Not quite 100K, I have a Mark 6 golf (March 2010 from new) hit 99K today. Has been good reliable car. It would have done much less but for the 100 mile commute for the first 8 months! Will see how long it will soldier on! Apart from the wipers it's had one brake pad change. Regular long life service every 20 K miles. Still returns 50 MPG on average. Can't fault it. I will be buying a new one early next year.

got 175k on an e46 beemer 330d...sweetest car ive ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    No. Blue.
    Love the string around the bannister! Great.
    I’ll try and get a picture next time I pass, the yellow clamps should show nicely, the string last time I took a picture was barely visible.

2002 Xsara Picasso, 103,000+. Bought at 3yrs old, ex mobility car with @ 11,000 on the clock.
    F.T.F.A.

highest miles young car ive bought was a 1997 jag x308 3.2 v8 regd x308fht...bought it 2 years old with 130k on it and it was lovely totally reliable and on the same chain tensioners when i sold it with 200k on the clock in 2006...still on its original nicasil engine, when less leggy ones were giving up the ghost at 30k...high motorway miles can be good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Not quite 100K, I have a Mark 6 golf (March 2010 from new) hit 99K today. Has been good reliable car. It would have done much less but for the 100 mile commute for the first 8 months! Will see how long it will soldier on! Apart from the wipers it's had one brake pad change. Regular long life service every 20 K miles. Still returns 50 MPG on average. Can't fault it. I will be buying a new one early next year.
    My last company car was a Golf 6 2.0TDI Bluemotion that had 112k on it when I had to give it back. In its later stages, I'd regularly see 750 miles from a tank, brilliant car. The Focus I've got now struggles to see 600 between fill ups

I'm looking at a possible MkV Gti now with 115k on it as my weekend car fun, test drove it again today and seriously tempted.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I have a 21 year old Toyota Landcruiser, that I've owned for just over 15 years - it has 190k miles on the clock, of which I have done 135k. Everything still works bar the electric aerial, which stopped retracting automatically about a month ago! (It will need the internal toothed nylon cable replaced....I'll get around that at some point).

When I say everything still works - I know people usually associate bombproof mechanicals with Landcruisers, however the truck has climate control, cruise control, all round electric windows, remote central locking, electrically adjustable and heated seats, tilt and slide sunroof, headlamp washers and so on, and so on. All of that stuff also works perfectly - the only thing I have changed is the old cassette radio head unit for a more contemporary one which plays CD/MP3/USB a few years ago.

I expect it will do another 190k without breaking a sweat....the body work is fine, not even a spot of rust (though admittedly the lacquer has started to peel on the bonnet and wings in very small patches).

It might be slightly boring but the Japanese certainly know how to put a vehicle together.

Craftsman
    195000 on my 2015 Ford Transit & it just keeps on going no matter how much abuse I give it .

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post

I'm looking at a possible MkV Gti now with 115k on it as my weekend car fun, test drove it again today and seriously tempted.
    The Golf I bought a couple of weeks ago is a MkV and it's a rather lovely thing.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day