closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Builder Has Layed Screed Level Too High

Builder Has Layed Screed Level Too High

I usually keep a close eye on the build, but was away for a long weekend.

Anyway seems like the builder has layed the screed level too high as it seems like he has mistakenly built up screed to finished floor level, rather than 20mm lower to allow for wooden floor.

Can’t live with it because bifolds are in fabrication and wooden floor will now sit above the lip of the bifolds.

I have no doubts he’ll rectify it, but what are the options? Dig it out or grind it down? It’s 15m2 worth.

Any builders who can comment?

Bead blasting.

I am not an expert - but have been on construction sites for work.

On concrete slab the big construction companies will identify the high spots with laser, then level it off by grinding away the top layer with abrasive.
    Dirty, noisy, and disruptive, and slower than an impact hammer or windy chisel.

20mm is a lot of material.
    My guess is that he will dig it out manually to 30mm depth, then re-lay the top 10mm

Master
    What type of screed and is there any embedded heating?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    What type of screed and is there any embedded heating?
    I think just sand-cement of about 100mm or thereabouts, but I’m not sure. Whatever is ‘normal’ screed I think.

It is layered damp proof membrane, then 100mm celotex insulation, then the screed.

There is no underfloor heating, just a couple of new pipes for a one new radiator, and some cabling for electrical sockets.

Master
    It wants to be all out really, to take a portion off the top and refinish will end up with the remaining part probably cracked and weakened, getting the remainging part free from dust debris etc to key the new thinner weaker top layer will be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    It wants to be all out really, to take a portion off the top and refinish will end up with the remaining part probably cracked and weakened, getting the remainging part free from dust debris etc to key the new thinner weaker top layer will be problematic.
    Absolutely. You want the whole slab to be one, not a 10mm pour over the top - that's just cowboy style.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Absolutely. You want the whole slab to be one, not a 10mm pour over the top - that's just cowboy style.
    Yes this. You can’t do a thin layer of screed ( less than about 45-50 mm ) without risking it delaminating, curling up at the edges or just breaking up. Best to get the whole lot out ASAP while it’s still curing and start again.

Craftsman
    Could bring in a scabbler to grind it back...

Master
    Oh dear. Not good news. What has the builder suggested? To it properly yes I would suggest whole lot out and redo.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Sounds like it's a traditional sand/cement screed, which is likely to have been laid semi-dry. That means that it will immediately appear to be much more solid than it actually is. It will be easy to rip out as long as it's done without any delay. It will be best to slow the drying process while any debate is going on - cover it with a layer of polythene and make sure the space isn't ventilated or heated, then insist that it's all removed.

All really annoying as the build was going so well up until now and this was the last of the major structure stuff. Plaster board and plastering was next.

Builder has been great and has done a quality job prior to this issue. He’s very experienced, but this is a basic schoolboy error.

A thick pencil mark was made for the FFL, and he usually comes in first thing in the morning to ensure his guys are set for the day. Obviously didn’t communicate it clearly to his workers who laid the screed to this pencil mark.

I’m seeing him tomorrow morning at 7.30am. I can’t see a way out apart from digging it up and staring again based on advise from this thread.

I’ll let you know what happens.

If the existing floor looks good, wouldn't it be quicker and cheaper to order new doors and let the builder pay for them?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Raise the lintel for the door frame by 20mm.

Master
    Having gone through a previous build. There will be numerous reasons why the heights can't be raised. For example. Levels between rooms perhaps? Depending on the circumstances. Good luck with the builder tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    For example. Levels between rooms perhaps?
    Spot on.

The bifold company surveyor laser levelled the existing FFL to find the new FFL level at the far reach of the extension where the bifold doors are installed.

It means that the existing FFL level will also be 20mm lower than the new FFL. I’ve checked with a spirit level in many locations and it backs it up. Any newly installed wooden floor will be bouncing due to the 20mm change in level.

As a say a real schoolboy error. But can’t imagine it’s more than £100 materials and a couple of many days of labour to sort out.

I picked it up straight away and I’m a desk jockey with no building experience.

Very disappointed, but how the builder reacts to this is the most important thing.

He’s already dug out several cubic metre of concrete for this build. Hopefully he’ll take this in his stride.

I was always told measure twice and cut once. The same analogy could be applied here.

If it’s screed I think the only way is to dig it out which won’t be hard ,if it’s concrete it won’t be hard to grind some slots in it and chisel it out,then unibond it up and add self levelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    If it’s screed I think the only way is to dig it out which won’t be hard ,if it’s concrete it won’t be hard to grind some slots in it and chisel it out,then unibond it up and add self levelling

It’s screed.

How long to jackhammer and dig out 15m2 of screed 100mm deep, and re-screed to the correct height?

Craftsman
    This happens more often than you think,

I'm doing second fix on someone's extension at the moment and the builder did exactly the same thing,

It was actually even worse because he made the height of the foundation itself too high so no real going back,

If it was my place I would've made him plywood the whole area (it's an extension to a living room area) to bring the whole room to level but she went easy on him and now they have a ridiculous step..

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    It’s screed.

How long to jackhammer and dig out 15m2 of screed 100mm deep, and re-screed to the correct height?
    Depends how long it's been down - if it's a recent pour it will be a days worth of digging out.

As for the relay - looking at my costs this year, it was £340 for the pump, £195 for the labour (all Plus VAT) then the cost of the screed. We used cement based this time as it has a quicker cure time than gypsum based.

From memory it was just over £2k for 65sq. m all in.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Post up his suggestions tomorrow.

Craftsman
    Strip it out & start again.

Craftsman
    15m2 isn’t a huge area. Day to strip out with a small breaker & clean up then a few hours to relay it the next day. Bit of a costly mistake but surely quicker than trying to reduce the height and laytexing.

Master
    Agree. Saving grace is that it isn't a huge area and so should men's the builder is more flexible in putting it right. Look forward to updates...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Consaw and jackhammer will have 90 percent out in a morning. Pipe worn and cables will need more care.

Once an hole has been broken through it’ll come up easy,a mornings work really,probably about 1k to relay.
    With things like this ,materials isn’t too expensive 15m or 25m you’ve still got to pay for the labour and pump ,which is more expensive

An update on the situation.

I met the builder early this morning, and allowed him time to double check his measurements. He agreed with a little embarrassment that the screed level had been laid 15-20mm too high.

I then gave him a few mins to allow him to run through options including modifying bifolds if possible, grinding the screed floor lower etc. etc.

But, you could see that he thought none of the ideas were practical, and after a gentle nudge (you could see he was heading that way anyway), he decided to rip up the screed and re-lay it.

Having dealt with builders in the past, I’m sure others would have tried harder to bodge there way out of the situation. So, very happy with my builder given his excellent attitude not only when the build is going well, but also when a mistake is made.

Good to hear. Sounds like a sound builder. Mistakes will always happen, its how they're dealt with that matters.

Master
    An update on the situation.

I met the builder early this morning, and allowed him time to double check his measurements. He agreed with a little embarrassment that the screed level had been laid 15-20mm too high.

I then gave him a few mins to allow him to run through options including modifying bifolds if possible, grinding the screed floor lower etc. etc.

But, you could see that he thought none of the ideas were practical, and after a gentle nudge (you could see he was heading that way anyway), he decided to rip up the screed and re-lay it.

Having dealt with builders in the past, I’m sure others would have tried harder to bodge there way out of the situation. So, very happy with my builder given his excellent attitude not only when the build is going well, but also when a mistake is made.
    Good to hear. You're not based in E Sussex by any chance are you - we're currently looking for a good builder for our kitchen extension :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Good to hear. You're not based in E Sussex by any chance are you - we're currently looking for a good builder for our kitchen extension :)
    p.s. I've only just worked your forum name out after all these years - I've always read it as Not a glove..

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    p.s. I've only just worked your forum name out after all these years - I've always read it as Not a glove..
    That's just enlightened me too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    That's just enlightened me too
    :-)))

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Good to hear. Sounds like a sound builder. Mistakes will always happen, its how they're dealt with that matters.
    I totally agree with this philosophy and you learn more about any supplier / contractor in how they deal with a situation that does go wrong for whatever reason. Sounds like this builder is one of the good guys.

Master
    That's a great outcome, obviously a reputable builder.

I had also always read your moniker as not a glove !!

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    That's a great outcome, obviously a reputable builder.

I had also always read your moniker as not a glove !!
    It is not a glove.

Only kidding. You’re all bonkers btw!

How could you read ‘noTAGlove’ as ‘noT A Glove’, especially on a watch forum where the TAG brand gets a hard time.

Clue was supposed to be in the capitals.

Master
    It is not a glove

How could you read ‘noTAGlove’ as ‘noT A Glove’, especially on a watch forum where the TAG brand gets a hard time.

I thought it was No TAG Love. I also knew penisland.net was something to do with writing instruments.

Master
    It is not a glove.

We get that now !!!