closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: N Yorks - walking weekend - places to stay and walk - UPDATED

Blog Entries

N Yorks - walking weekend - places to stay and walk - UPDATED

Me and my mates are looking at a walking weekend away (4 of us)

Dales or Moors…. Nice village with a pub…. A couple of walks of around 15 miles a pop

So two sets of advice - where to stay and where to walk please!

I’ve done a load of coastal walks (Robin Hoods Bay area) so maybe something in land…

Ben
    Last edited by Wolfie; 23rd October 2018 at 14:33.

Blog Entries
    https://www.yorkshire.com/places/yor...coast/staithes
    no better place, im there regular.
    ive stayed in many place but keel cottages are great for access to the village and the main road to get to other towns, they are at the top of the village at a place called "trigg point",
    there are of course some great cottages to rent down in the village.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=...oiowCnoECAoQCQ
    Last edited by jimp; 16th September 2018 at 13:47.

Leyburn, a good place to stay, plenty of walks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

I would second Leyburn it is a lovely place and a good base with plenty of places to stay and has a nice vibe to it.

I’m sure there must be loads in the lakes ,a little further than N Yorks,but loads of places to stay,with routes on your door step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Hawes is good, haven’t been for several years but it used to have an Indian restaurant too! Stayed there in the past and thoroighly enjoyed it.

Avoid Malham, limited accomodation and v. expensive pubs! Stayed there in 2014, having not been for donkeys years, and was disappointed.

Kettewell’s another of my favourites, Grassington’s good too. Rod’s suggestion of Leyburn’s a good call, he knows the area because he lives up there.

Be sure to book the weather in advance, it can make or break this type of trip!

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    https://www.yorkshire.com/places/yor...coast/staithes
    no better place, im there regular.
    ive stayed in many place but keel cottages are great for access to the village and the main road to get to other towns, they are at the top of the village at a place called "trigg point",
    there are of course some great cottages to rent down in the village.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=...oiowCnoECAoQCQ
    Cheers …. I’ve done a fair amount of the clevland way and hay looks lovely …. Looks very Robin Hoods Bay esque…

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I would second Leyburn it is a lovely place and a good base with plenty of places to stay and has a nice vibe to it.
    I used to live in Middleham for a year…. So, know Leyburn well…. Was a bit more ‘up market’ when I went back around 4 years ago…. Nice spot! I stayed in East Whitton last time I was up there…

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I’m sure there must be loads in the lakes ,a little further than N Yorks,but loads of places to stay,with routes on your door step

An option!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Hawes is good, haven’t been for several years but it used to have an Indian restaurant too! Stayed there in the past and thoroighly enjoyed it.

Avoid Malham, limited accomodation and v. expensive pubs! Stayed there in 2014, having not been for donkeys years, and was disappointed.

Kettewell’s another of my favourites, Grassington’s good too. Rod’s suggestion of Leyburn’s a good call, he knows the area because he lives up there.

Be sure to book the weather in advance, it can make or break this type of trip!

Paul
    A bit of rain won’t do me any harm…. There’s some posh grub in Hawes if memeory serves me well! About 15 miles away from Leyburn…
    Last edited by Wolfie; 16th September 2018 at 15:41.

Master
    Hawes is a lovely place as well :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Hawes is a lovely place as well :)
    Mmhhh…. Off to Google Hawes…

Another shout for Hawes here. The Chippie is epic, good pubs are plentiful and there's lots of decent accommodation. Loads of fine walking to be had close by on Ingleborough and Whernside.

Despite it being my local area (roughly) I'm not much of a walker, but I'd suggest The Board at Lealholme as a base. Apparently it's a great area for walking and the village and pub are lovely.
    Last edited by Tony; 17th September 2018 at 14:14.

Herriot Way

This walk looks good to me. I am giving it a go next Easter.
    You could do half of it maybe?
    https://www.herriotway.com/route/

Yorkshire 3 peaks if you're up for a challenge one day.

Some nice walks I remember from childhood hikes. Roseberry Topping, Goathland and Bolton Abbey.

I went to Fountains Abbey yesterday, that's a nice day out too.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 17th September 2018 at 13:20.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthemull View Post
    This walk looks good to me. I am giving it a go next Easter.
    You could do half of it maybe?
    https://www.herriotway.com/route/
    That looks good…. Quite possible over 3 days too

Blog Entries
    Update on this…

I stayed in Hawes in the heart of the Dales…. This was two weekends ago and the weather was biblical…. Had the tail end of the hurricane and weather came in side ways!

Walked for miles over various fells during the two days of walking and only saw one other walking group…

Tourist information were really helpful and recommended some good local walks…. I downloaded the OS map on my iPhone, which means you can’t possibly go wrong (it felt like I was cheating!)

Laburnum house was nothing to write home about, but, was clean and functional with edible breakfast

The Crown was the best for food and everyone was very friendly…. Lots of chatting to the locals

The Dales are stunning and I thoroughly recommend them for a walking weekend…. I’ll be back!

TZ is a great place for recommendations- thanks all!

Dudley looking windswept

Wolfie did you find Buttertubs and also the Waterfall behind the pub !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It’s a great walk from a small village called Thwaite in Swaledale over Great Shunner Fell to Hawes and back. Been over twenty years since I was last in that part of the world. Now I’m thinking of spending some time there next year.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 24th October 2018 at 08:17.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Wolfie did you find Buttertubs and also the Waterfall behind the pub !

What this one?

Hadraw force behind the green dragon…. It was great…. I did it on the way home Sunday…. Also did Aysgarth

No idea on buttertubs!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    It’s a great walk from a small village called Thwaite in Swaledale over Great Shunner Fell to Hawes and back. Been over twenty years since I was last in that part of the world. Now I’m thinking of spending some time there next year.
    Do it…. Walking is one of the main things that me and my mates do together …. I have to say the Dales is truly stunning…. I would love to go back soon!

Started to enjoy a bit of walking myself lately since getting a new dog, only a few miles a time, but it's some good exercise for me.

I'm just south of Darlington on the Co. Durham side of the Tees, so if anyone has any suggested spots/routes for walks nearby, 4-5miles for now, not too much up/down, it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brighty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Started to enjoy a bit of walking myself lately since getting a new dog, only a few miles a time, but it's some good exercise for me.

I'm just south of Darlington on the Co. Durham side of the Tees, so if anyone has any suggested spots/routes for walks nearby, 4-5miles for now, not too much up/down, it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brighty
    You are not far from the top end of the Dales? Worth the trip in my opinion! Plenty of options…. Walking out of Gayle (next to Hawes) there is a beautiful route along a river with a lovely waterfall

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

Drive to Whorlton, park by the village green and walk on the North bank of the Tees to Barnard Castle. Stop off for coffee/lunch in one of the many cafes/pubs. Return on the South side of the river via the 'meeting of the waters'. OK, that's ~4 miles each way but you can have a long break in the middle.

Alternatively make your way to Greta Bridge, park by the Morritt Arms and walk up by the River Greta to the old ruined church, or further if you wish. To return you can either simply retrace your steps, or take the field path from the old church up to Brignall and walk back down the lane.

OS map is recommended in both instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    You are not far from the top end of the Dales? Worth the trip in my opinion! Plenty of options…. Walking out of Gayle (next to Hawes) there is a beautiful route along a river with a lovely waterfall
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Drive to Whorlton, park by the village green and walk on the North bank of the Tees to Barnard Castle. Stop off for coffee/lunch in one of the many cafes/pubs. Return on the South side of the river via the 'meeting of the waters'. OK, that's ~4 miles each way but you can have a long break in the middle.

Alternatively make your way to Greta Bridge, park by the Morritt Arms and walk up by the River Greta to the old ruined church, or further if you wish. To return you can either simply retrace your steps, or take the field path from the old church up to Brignall and walk back down the lane.

OS map is recommended in both instances.
    Thanks gents, will check those out. Gayle is about an hours drive away, but Whorlton/Greta Bridge is only 30mins.

Blog Entries
    Lovely part of the world and sounds a great trip buddy.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    What this one?

Hadraw force behind the green dragon…. It was great…. I did it on the way home Sunday…. Also did Aysgarth

No idea on buttertubs!

Yep that is the Hadraw falls (see the photo’s) of the band playing behind in the 20’s ?
    Buttertubs your on top of the moors and there is the great hole int ground! Will see if I got any shots.

Best I could find of mine. Not brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Despite it being my local area (roughly) I'm not much of a walker, but I'd suggest The Board at Lealholme as a base. Apparently it's a great area for walking and the village and pub are lovely.
    I'll second the Board at Lealholme the double fried chips are awesome - generous portions of really good food.