closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar to sue Christopher Ward

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchfan_66 View Post
    Some interesting comments on the official CW Independent (albeit not independent) Forum:

https://www.christopherwardforum.com...hp?f=1&t=50433

As one posting indicates, Jaguar probably want to get the message out that they produce quality products and that if a watch company is to collaborate with them, CW isn't the brand they want to be associated with (and who can blame them when Bremont is the brand chosen to fly the Jaguar flag). This alone speaks volumes about CW and how Jaguar view them. CW have often tried to poke Bremont in the eye; maybe this is more than just an issue between JLR and CW.

I'm still gobsmacked that CW haven't seemingly sought permission to use the Jaguar name and have allowed Jaguar to take them to court (as it would appear discussions have already been in place prior). Then again neither did CW with their Becketts and Wimbledon/LTA 'inspired' models. Unbelievable really.

Closing down sale anyone?
    Why the vindictive attitude dude? Gloting in someone elses misfortune/mistake is barely on the human platform.

Some interesting comments on the official CW Independent (albeit not independent) Forum:

https://www.christopherwardforum.com...hp?f=1&t=50433

As one posting indicates, Jaguar probably want to get the message out that they produce quality products and that if a watch company is to collaborate with them, CW isn't the brand they want to be associated with (and who can blame them when Bremont is the brand chosen to fly the Jaguar flag). This alone speaks volumes about CW and how Jaguar view them. CW have often tried to poke Bremont in the eye; maybe this is more than just an issue between JLR and CW.

I'm still gobsmacked that CW haven't seemingly sought permission to use the Jaguar name and have allowed Jaguar to take them to court (as it would appear discussions have already been in place prior). Then again neither did CW with their Becketts and Wimbledon/LTA 'inspired' models. Unbelievable really.

Closing down sale anyone?
    Why do you think it’s not an independent forum?

Master
    Not vindictive or gloating. The comments from their own fans are far from sympathetic either. I hope for CW's sake they take heed of whatever JLR throws at them and learm from any apparent mistakes made. But this isn't the first time CW failed to seek permission.
    Are you the Watch Police?

The forum is owned, financed, run and administered by the brand. How can that make it independent?
    Because CW have never tried to censor or exercise any editorial control over the forum, even when there were some extremely critical comments posted about, for example, their logo changes.

I didn't realise it was owned by Christopher Ward.

If it is as you say - I'd call if 'hands off', it doesn't fit my view of what independent means.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I didn't realise it was owned by Christopher Ward.

If it is as you say - I'd call if 'hands off', it doesn't fit my view of what independent means.
    I believe the words in the forum banner are an accurate representation of the reality...

Master
    ^^ I know it’s pointless to argue with you, but for the record...

The CW company owns the forum and pays for the hosting. They have a technical guy who liaises with the hosting company, and yes, he is a forum member (although he has not posted anything outside of the mods forum). The reason he is a member is to enable him to carry out technical maintenance activities.

Master
    ^^ as I said, pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I believe the words in the forum banner are an accurate representation of the reality...

So no moderators there are employees of CW or have any financial relationship with them?

Master
    This forum is owned, controlled and financed by Eddie. Would you say it isn’t independent either?

When I used to post on the CW forum, I was at times very critical of the brand and its direction, it was never censored.

Master
    So no moderators there are employees of CW or have any financial relationship with them?
    No.

As sure as night turns to day, watchfan_66 was going to come along and turn a simple discussion on Christopher Ward into a mudslinging exercise.

Master
    Which hardly makes it independent then does it?

And the forum moderators have meetings at CW HQ as has been shown/discussed in a thread on there recently too (much to many members' annoyance). Come on, this is not independence.
    And Madjam jumps the shark. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Because CW have never tried to censor or exercise any editorial control over the forum, even when there were some extremely critical comments posted about, for example, their logo changes.
    Agreed. I have never seen posts deleted by the Mods for being critical of the brand or company. Very very few posts are “moderated” - usually only if someone has been obnoxious.

Indeed as far as changes to the logo are concerned, if I recall correctly, one of the most vociferous critics of one of the versions of the logo is a Mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    No. "Hear" as with ears. Unless you are reading it as "here" in the UK. I should have written "I hear..."
    You're right, my mistake. Bit of brain deadness schnuck in there

Master
    Come on Richard. Explain the forum's independence when it has close collaboration and meetings with the forum board/mods and that it owns, finances, runs the forum.
    Please read post #72.

watchfan_66, this is for you man.....

So how is the forum independent from CW then?
    Bing Bong........Medication time....

Master
    This forum doesn't pretend to be independent though.

Many forum members have been told to shut up by the Mods for speaking out.
    The point is, ownership, financing and interaction from its owner doesn’t automatically mean a forum isn’t independent, any more than just a ‘fan website’ means it is.

Look, we get you don’t like CW for whatever reason, but perhaps you should drop your vendetta and get back to the topic, which is unrelated to whatever beef you’ve got going on with certain CW moderators?

When the forum's Admin was a CW employee they certainly did censor and exercise editorial control. Many members spoke up and many members left to that effect, either of their own accord or were banned. The forum Admin and it's moderators keep a very close eye on criticism of the brand. CW does after after all recommend folk follow the forum. ...freedom of speech is often not welcomed though. Further references to this on there in the last day or two as well.
    I've only been a member of the CW forum since 2011, but in that time I've never seen any such evidence.

For those who are not members, perhaps a glance at the current thread discussing the Jaguar issue will help you make your own mind up as to whether CW censor the forum: https://www.christopherwardforum.com...hp?f=1&t=50433 (It should be visible without logging in, but be aware that there are some technical problem with the site right now which might make it slow to load).

Perhaps it is simply a case of CW assuming, quite reasonably, that 'D-type' and 'Le Mans' are in the public domain and didn't bother to check.

Master
    I guess we'll wait and see. The Christopher Ward (so called) Independent Forum (that is owned, run and financed by Christopher Ward) will surely shed more light on this in due course.
    Do you work for Jaguar?

By your ongoing diatribe you are showing yourself to be very biased in your view of the CW Forum. Something you accuse them of.

Isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?
    Last edited by Tiny; 18th September 2018 at 08:24.

Do you work for Jaguar?
    Nope, he just hates the CW forum, so much so that he will try and mention it in almost every tedious post he makes. Out and out head banger.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Nope, he just hates the CW forum, so much so that he will try and mention it in almost every tedious post he makes. Out and out head banger.
    Hate is very destructive, especially for the hater. One can make oneself ill with all that hate energy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Perhaps it is simply a case of CW assuming, quite reasonably, that 'D-type' and 'Le Mans' are in the public domain and didn't bother to check.
    This perhaps

Love a bit of AC/DC in the morning.

The CW (Not) Independent Forum is administered and moderated by a controlling clique, several of whom frequent this medium also. The brand and forum prides itself on a no smoke and mirrors policy which is the biggest irony. (C60 COSC-GATE anyone?)

Several honest forum members are contributing well to the ongoing Jag v Ward thread over there. It's them people ought to listen to.

Just for info, I hope CW don't go down the pan over this, but I do hope it wakes them up that alleged copyright /trademark infringement was always going to bite them on the bum (as it seemingly has done before: LTA and Becketts come to mind). If the forum could drop the whole 'we're independently run' (but funded, run and owned by CW) charade too that would be good.

Have a good day.
    Lovely...

NOW, next time you feel the need to splurge your diatribe about the CW Forum and its moderators on this forum, just take a moment to take a deep breath and remember 99% of us have now read it in one form or another many times over the last few weeks and wonder what you're actually contributing to this forum.

You're entitled to your view, but it's becoming mighty boring now...

M

Master

The CW (Not) Independent Forum is administered and moderated by a controlling clique, several of whom frequent this medium also. The brand and forum prides itself on a no smoke and mirrors policy which is the biggest irony. (C60 COSC-GATE anyone?)... ... If the forum could drop the whole 'we're independently run' (but funded, run and owned by CW) charade too that would be good.
    Suppose it isn't independent. So what. Who cares (apart from one member). Why complain here? Go to CW and complain. There are 13355 members here so you represent 0.0075%, which is almost nothing.

Master
    So, is the CW forum independent or not?

😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    So, is the CW forum independent or not?

Stirrer! :)
    Last edited by Tiny; 18th September 2018 at 23:04.

In light of the reason for this thread and CW's pride in transparency, openness, no smoke and mirrors tactics etc then I think people do/will care if so much BS seeps through the gaps. If CW strive to tell us that their forum has nothing to do with them, yet they own, run and fund it, what else about this brand can we/can we not believe?
    Give it a rest will you.

In light of the reason for this thread and CW's pride in transparency, openness, no smoke and mirrors tactics etc then I think people do/will care if so much BS seeps through the gaps. If CW strive to tell us that their forum has nothing to do with them, yet they own, run and fund it, what else about this brand can we/can we not believe?
    Everything/nothing.

They are subject to a lawsuit over trade mark/name association currently.

It will pan out over time.

They copy genre/type and do ok at it.

To much protesting methinks.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    What "lack of transparency, openness, smoke and mirrors tactics, BS seeping through the gaps"? Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. When someone just harps on and on and on and on and on and on, with so much emotion, it negates their argument because their views are seen as unbalanced and biased and they very quickly become irrelevant.

Master
    The records stuck. The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck...................

Master
    This is a clear case of Watchism, the blatant prejudice against a certain brand of watches!

Would it be wrong to say that the Bremont Jaguar watches look like they were made over at CW?

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watches-mens-jaguar

Good god man. Quit it. We are all bored of your obsession! You are like a one man crusade give us all a break from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys don't freaking get it. It's a a small part of a huge conspiracy in conjunction with Monsanto, the illuminati and the lizard men. Probably Prince Phillip too.

We're through the looking glass here, people.

Master
    The records stuck. The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck.The records stuck...................
    I wouldn't mind so much if you'd only missed the apostrophe once.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Would it be wrong to say that the Bremont Jaguar watches look like they were made over at CW?

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watches-mens-jaguar
    Yes it would be wrong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I wouldn't mind so much if you'd only missed the apostrophe once.
    Sorry. Here they are: ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Good god man. Quit it. We are all bored of your obsession! You are like a one man crusade give us all a break from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lol. I know, right? What is with this guy? He is obsessed with CW.

Journeyman
    Can someone explain the CW hate? Don't own one (yet?) But they are one of the few "affordable" brands doing anything interesting, and at times genuinely innovative, with movements on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Camulos View Post
    lol. I know, right? What is with this guy? He is obsessed with CW.
    I'm guessing he's a D!ck....

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Yes it would be wrong.
    So long as you're sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JimbobIJones View Post
    Can someone explain the CW hate? Don't own one (yet?) But they are one of the few "affordable" brands doing anything interesting, and at times genuinely innovative, with movements on their own.
    Hate is a strong word. I personally find most of their designs, like Bremont's, underwhelmingly anodyne. As a brand, they've attracted negative comments for that, changing their logo often and in an unsophisticated direction and for offering less value for money than they did previously. How fair all of that is, is in the eye of the beholder.

Master
    Hey Tiny. Are you?
    WINNER!

The last port of call when losing a "discussion" from a desperate person, the personal insult.

Master
    As to the actual subject.

That's for the courts to decide, here's a radical thought, let's wait until the verdict........................... Nah second thoughts that'll never work!!

Jaguar to sue Christopher Ward

The more I dig into this, the more I think this is going to be a claim of passing off -

From my experience when launching a new product or brand we would do a quick trademark check here: https://www.gov.uk/search-for-trademark
    Looking today JLR appear to have registered D TYPE in a number of classifications which would/should ring alarm bells if you were looking to use the name.
    Again, in my experience it would also lead to a discussion with the trademark owner. In many cases, if their trademark was in a different classification, we would be able to come to an amicable arrangement based around a non-compete agreement.
    Problems usually only arise if this step is disregarded - or overlooked.
    I believe that Montblanc provided a classic example of this with the Boheme range which was first launched as Rouge et Noir but rebranded after a trademark violation of the 'et Noir' element.
    However, whilst the Christopher Ward C70 D Type edition references a model which contains a small fragment of a specific vehicle from that marque, the bulk of the marketing materials discuss the car and its designer without making any specific claim for direct descent to that wider brand.
    This creation of brand linkage by way of association is always an interesting subject. For example, it appears that many believe that the Rolex Explorer was the first watch worn on the summit of Everest. This belief has been reinforced with images of the Explorer imposed over views of Mount Everest - without their having ever made a specific claim to that achievement.
    It will certainly be interesting to follow developments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 20th September 2018 at 16:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    WINNER!

The last port of call when losing a "discussion" from a desperate person, the personal insult.
    Ha! Just some light entertainment!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    From my experience when launching a new product or brand we would do a quick trademark check here: https://www.gov.uk/search-for-trademark
    Looking today JLR appear to have registered D TYPE in a number of classifications which would/should ring alarm bells if you were looking to use the name.
    Again, in my experience it would also lead to a discussion with the trademark owner. In many cases, if their trademark was in a different classification, we would be able to come to an amicable arrangement based around a non-compete agreement.
    Problems usually only arise if this step is disregarded - or overlooked.
    I believe that Montblanc provided a classic example of this with the Boheme range which was first launched as Rouge et Noir but rebranded after a trademark violation of the 'et Noir' element.
    However, whilst the Christopher Ward C70 D Type edition references a model which contains a small fragment of a specific vehicle from that marque, the bulk of the marketing materials discuss the car and its designer without making any specific claim for direct descent to that wider brand.
    This creation of brand linkage by way of association is always an interesting subject. For example, it appears that many believe that the Rolex Explorer was the first watch worn on the summit of Everest. This belief has been reinforced with images of the Explorer imposed over views of Mount Everest - without their having ever made a specific claim to that achievement.
    It will certainly be interesting to follow developments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's very interesting, I agree. I remember some years ago that IWC launched the 'Spitfire' model with photos and stands with prominent photographs of Supermarine Spitfires, including in WW2 livery.

As I remarked to an historian known who was doing work for IWC that IWC ostensibly supplied German forces during WW2 (e.g. U-boat instruments among other items) but neither had a contract with nor are known to have supplied British and Commonwealth Air Forces. Indeed, there were tensions around IWC's links in that regard in official circles during the war.

Thus, association, even if historically inaccurate, seems not to stop some corporations from endeavouring to establish it and a 'mystique' including in promotional material. Indeed, even the larger more established ones.

(Notably, IWC did receive a contract from the UK/Commonwealth forces after the tide of the war had changed (for the Mk X, not for air force use) and the UK were seeking manufacturers at that point amid restricted supply and other considerations. After the war for the famous Mk XI (for airforce use) saw a contract tendered to IWC and JLC).