closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop; just a Wednesday morning

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; just a Wednesday morning

It's been a while. Holidays are over and time again to post some workshop pics.

This morning a -what you can call- an English village garage pic! Three iconic British cars inside. The Landy needs the most attention. This car's ignition switch gave up. This combined ignition switch/fuel pump cut off, makes it pretty unique. So unique in fact that a LHD version is not longer available... So the guys have to come up with a new ignition switch and a new place for the fuel pump cut off cable. It started with the removal of the special bolts... you can't remove them, so they had to be drilled out. The total time for removing & installing a new set-up will take about 6 hrs!

The Daimler only needed new ATF for the 'box. That's a simple job. And the owner has just come over and has collected his car. Finally the Midget. Brilliant little car. New tyres, balancing and alignment is all that's on the program for today. Waiting for the tyres to be delivered. Nice job for this afternoon.

Just noticed after posting the pics: the tartan adds to the village garage look-and-feel don't you think?

upload photo

photo upload
    Last edited by thieuster; 12th September 2018 at 11:55.

Ah, the old Double Six - lovely car.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Ha that’s like a step back to 1985, nice!

Ha!
    The Double Six....you couldn't make it up could you?
    Wonder why they didn't go with the 'Treble Three instead?
    Lovely looking car with the unique grille.
    Always remided me of a Jag in a shell suit though.

I've a fondness for the Double Six/Jag V12 as I had one about 18 years ago. One of the early fuel injected Jag XJ12's from 1978 it had a lovely combination of black coachwork and red leather interior. It had been driven by one chap all it's life until I bought it, he was a chauffeur that drove it from new for a large shipping company's headquarters in central London, when he retired they retired the car and sold it to him for a nominal sum.

Grand Master
    Menno's workshop always looks neat, tidy, clean, and full of interesting motors. By way of comparison, here's a picture I took earlier today....

Decided to fit telescopic shock absorber conversion, and new polyurethane bushes to the leaf springs....what could go wrong? In a nutshell.....

1. The shock absorbers wouldn't align in a vertical position, had to get mess around with washers/spaces.

2. One set of suspension bushes were wrong, had to order the right ones and await their arrival.

3. New shockers foul up on the exhaust, a well-known problem that can usually be fixed by realigning the exhaust.

4. Exhaust on my car is a mixture of parts from two suppliers, despite my best efforts, including splitting all joints and juggling around trial fitting, I cant get it right. Next step is to take one section to an exhaust fabricator in Leeds and get it modified. A 10° angled bend needs increasing to 14° to get everything right, thank god I listened at school when we did trigonometry in maths! Ended up downloading a picture of a protractor and printing it out A4 size to measure the angle.......you couldn`t make it up!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Ha!

Arithmetic? 😄

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Arithmetic? 
    👍

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Menno's workshop always looks neat, tidy, clean, and full of interesting motors. By way of comparison, here's a picture I took earlier today....

Decided to fit telescopic shock absorber conversion, and new polyurethane bushes to the leaf springs....what could go wrong? In a nutshell.....

1. The shock absorbers wouldn't align in a vertical position, had to get mess around with washers/spaces.

2. One set of suspension bushes were wrong, had to order the right ones and await their arrival.

3. New shockers foul up on the exhaust, a well-known problem that can usually be fixed by realigning the exhaust.

4. Exhaust on my car is a mixture of parts from two suppliers, despite my best efforts, including splitting all joints and juggling around trial fitting, I cant get it right. Next step is to take one section to an exhaust fabricator in Leeds and get it modified. A 10° angled bend needs increasing to 14° to get everything right, thank god I listened at school when we did trigonometry in maths! Ended up downloading a picture of a protractor and printing it out A4 size to measure the angle.......you couldn`t make it up!

Paul
    At least you're know what you're doing. Imagine you're a newish MGB owner, trying to upgrade his car...

I got an email from a fellow forumite asking me to explain why it takes so long to install a new switch and pull knob. The switch has to match the original routing of the wires, otherwise, we end up with a fire or a non starting car. Obviously, the choice of switches was limited by the fact that it had to be British... Some come with a steering lock, others don't have that. The new one doesn't have a steering lock.

The handle & cable is orginally routed through a tube with a smalled diameter inner tube that has cut outs. Off course, we had to search for a proper fitting inner and outer tube contraption. The steering column and switch form a sturdy part of the car, so you can push and pull the handle without any problem. Now it's on the dash, so it needs a reinforcment! Just to prevent that the dash stays flat and don't become corrugated(...) over time.

Menno

Why has the landy got an electric fuel pump? My friend had a series one with an electric pump and it's a long time since I had 2A and 3, but I'm sure they were both mechanical pumps??

Blog Entries
    Were yours petrol or diesel? This is a diesel and has a common set up (as we found out searching the internet for a new LHD ignition switch...). Landrovers - LaRo's in Dutch are not our common customers' cars so we're not too familiar with the differences between certain modles. I am sure that FFF can tell us more

S1 petrol (a friend's), electric pump
    S2A petrol (mine), mechanical pump
    S3 diesel (mine), mechanical I think
    90 diesel (mine), can't remember, didn't poke around too much with this one, it was for work not a hobby!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    90 diesel (mine), can't remember, didn't poke around too much with this one, it was for work not a hobby!
    I think I didn't write that it has an electrical pump. I referred to the combined switch and the pic shows it: key and knob - for the pump to switch off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Ha!
    Perhaps because it's a V12 with two banks of six??? Just guessing..

And of course, because three 3s make nine....

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post

The Double Six name was used for the Jag V12 when it was installed in the Daimler variant.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Were yours petrol or diesel? This is a diesel and has a common set up (as we found out searching the internet for a new LHD ignition switch...). Landrovers - LaRo's in Dutch are not our common customers' cars so we're not too familiar with the differences between certain modles. I am sure that FFF can tell us more
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Yeh Every series 1 petrol I've seen has had an electric pump.
    Series 2&3 petrol were afaik were all mechanical pumps with sight glass. Some have the hand pump in the car which primes the sight glass bowl and filter.
    All the series diesels I've seen are mechanical with early 2s having the pull cable to switch the engine off.
    Later models have the solonoid cut off with the ignition.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 13th September 2018 at 22:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The Double Six name was used for the Jag V12 when it was installed in the Daimler variant.
    They also used the name as a nod to past, in particular the 50, 40 and 30hp V12 sleeve valved engined cars (which to be accurate were actually running chassis). Manufactured between 1926 to 1930, these were also known as the Double Six models.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post

Maybe nine was the maximum number of cylinders you could expect to be working at one time?

That MG is lovely. If I was ever allowed a vintage fun car it would be something along those lines. But SWMBO can’t see the attraction saying they are rust buckets and money pits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    That MG is lovely. If I was ever allowed a vintage fun car it would be something along those lines. But SWMBO can’t see the attraction saying they are rust buckets and money pits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They can be money pits and like all cars from that era they suffered with rust problems. However, it's not all bad news, there are plenty of well-restored MGs available; if the body restoration's been done correctly (photographic evidence helps) and the car's been rustproofed properly it'll never have problems again. Running old cars when there's salt on the road is questionable IMO but the majority of classic owners don`t do that.

Being able to do most of the maintenance yourself is a big plus, but if the car's been restored thoroughly it shouldn't need much input apart from servicing which is very straightforward.

There are plenty of MGBs available that have ben rebuilt using a new body shell, generally these are the best ones to go for and provided the shell's ben rustproofed thoroughly they won't suffer from bodywork issues.

It's a bit like old watches, once you get them sorted out properly they usually stay sorted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    They can be money pits and like all cars from that era they suffered with rust problems. However, it's not all bad news, there are plenty of well-restored MGs available; if the body restoration's been done correctly (photographic evidence helps) and the car's been rustproofed properly it'll never have problems again. Running old cars when there's salt on the road is questionable IMO but the majority of classic owners don`t do that.

Being able to do most of the maintenance yourself is a big plus, but if the car's been restored thoroughly it shouldn't need much input apart from servicing which is very straightforward.

There are plenty of MGBs available that have ben rebuilt using a new body shell, generally these are the best ones to go for and provided the shell's ben rustproofed thoroughly they won't suffer from bodywork issues.

It's a bit like old watches, once you get them sorted out properly they usually stay sorted.

^^^this^^^

A well-sorted MGB is a safe way to get involved in classic cars.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ^^^this^^^

A well-sorted MGB is a safe way to get involved in classic cars.
    Yep.

Those B series engines are very strong and there is nothing very complicated under the bonnet at all.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Years ago had a Daimler Double Six VDP Coupe with a manual gearbox. Beautiful car except for the awful colour, sort of dark mustard.

Bought it from a garage in Kingswood, £2999 if I remember correctly, with a few bob now I would guess,