closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Re-blasting a bead blasted bracelet

Journeyman

Re-blasting a bead blasted bracelet

I have a Sinn U1 with the blasted SS bracelet (non tegimented). The finish on the bracelet and especially the clasp is quite worn and whilst it doesn't bother me too much, it has got me thinking that at some point down the line I may look into getting it refinished. Anybody had this done ? Is it as easy as taking it to somebody that does blasting? Will the finish hold up as well as the original (which is fairly durable)? Do they just blast on top of the current finish or do they have to polish it to a smooth finish first?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougieb View Post
    I have a Sinn U1 with the blasted SS bracelet (non tegimented). The finish on the bracelet and especially the clasp is quite worn and whilst it doesn't bother me too much, it has got me thinking that at some point down the line I may look into getting it refinished. Anybody had this done ? Is it as easy as taking it to somebody that does blasting? Will the finish hold up as well as the original (which is fairly durable)? Do they just blast on top of the current finish or do they have to polish it to a smooth finish first?
    Not sure what the finish is meant to look like, but generally no shot blast or vapour honed finish will hide any marks. The coarser the finish the more you can get away with though.
    So any marks will have to be polished out, especially as this will no doubt be a very fine finish using a glass bead.
    This in itself can cause problems on a fully assembled bracelet as it is very difficult to get all the fine glass beads out. This would then act as a grinding paste. I am not sure if there are any tricks of the trade or the bracelet is fully disassembled for blasting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    Not sure what the finish is meant to look like, but generally no shot blast or vapour honed finish will hide any marks. The coarser the finish the more you can get away with though.
    So any marks will have to be polished out, especially as this will no doubt be a very fine finish using a glass bead.
    This in itself can cause problems on a fully assembled bracelet as it is very difficult to get all the fine glass beads out. This would then act as a grinding paste. I am not sure if there are any tricks of the trade or the bracelet is fully disassembled for blasting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    That was actually one of my worries, would the bracelet need to be dissasembled.

Journeyman
    Anybody had a bead blasted bracelet re-finished