closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aaargh boiler down help needed

Aaargh boiler down help needed

Ok,our remeha 28c boiler has stopped working,E13 fault? So will try to get a quote to fix but if too much may have to bite the bullet and buy new.Which is the best ? Any advise welcome

Lifted from t'internet...

"Error code E13 like the dreaded number can be unlucky for some. Fault E13 indicates that the main heat exchanger thermal fuse has blown or failed and I am sorry to say is a catastrophic failure meaning the main heat exchanger will require replacement. That said we would often advise our customer to do a straight boiler swop as it would be quicker and may be cheaper in the long run as the main heat exchanger is a very expensive item. This is a rare fault and is normally caused by external faults or running the boiler whilst dry. You maybe lucky though and find the fault is a wire problem between the thermal fuse and the PCB. Pump checks and boiler pressure should all be checked but the F13 Fault code is normally serious. The F13 is thankfully a very rare occurrence on the generally well behave Remeha Avanta series of gas boilers. "

Sounds a bit moody sorry to say...

I had fitted a Baxi Platinum 33 in March of this year and it's been really good with a great hot water rise and flow rate, fills a deep P shaped shower bath in around 6 minutes, just add cold to suit.
    The heating in my modest semi, with 10 radiators is piping hot in a short time.
    It's a minor step up from the usual 28-30kW options and needed a 28mm gas feed rather than 22mm but that was no biggie in my situation.
    I'd highly recommend it.

Agreed, a boiler swap may well be the best course of action, lots of decent options out there these days. How old is the boiler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Luckily it's went pop just before the cold weather sets in.

Get rid of it IMHO.

boilers 9yrs young.
    noticed the internet page of doom,spoilt my tea that did!
    I have the feeling it could be just a flow issue,pump ,blocked filter this then causes a rise in heat exchanger temp and trips the safety fuse(one shot)

Grand Master
    Just had to replace mine, 2k fitted but with 10 year servicing and repair thrown in
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

WB Greenstar 30si. 7 year warranty and was £2100 all in with system drain down and flush, magna filter, water softener, wireless thermostat, etc.

In my experience, once a boiler starts going wrong it will get fixed for a little while, then leave you cold and hot waterless right in the depths of winter. Get it swapped now.

Blog Entries
    Or have the on demand BG product at a fixed price???

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/home-se...-repair/b.html

Craftsman
    Sign up and ask about it on here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/plumbing/ you’ll get as many answers as there are boilers and probably start a heated debate. 😂

I have the 39c avanta, when it was fitted it the fitter also installed a fernox TF1 to catch all the crap that flies around the system. The gas fitter commented on how good the boiler was compared to the newer boilers, stainless steel heat exchanger, grundfos pump etc.. all good stuff, making spares easy to get should the need arise.

Presuming you have tried the switch of and reboot option?

Only thing I’ve had to do to mine in 8 years is replace a valve which never failed just started to leak a little. Part cost £13 and took 30mins to fit.

Great boilers, and Broag if I remember rightly were the inventors of the condensing boiler. Huge in Europe more geared towards commercial, entering into the UK with the Avanta range. But as far as I know pulled out in the last few years.. think Baxi now Service them?

Fingers crossed it’s alright as I absolutely love mine.

Reckon about ten years is the life of a modern boiler nowadays, just long enough to run out the guarantee.

My Worcester Bosch has just packed up at eleven years old and have had replaced with a Baxi at the recommendation of my plumber.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

To be honest its been a good boiler,and choice was down to good reviews back in 2009,and like you the stainless exchanger etc all seemed ideal. The issue is a E13 code which from searching appears to be a safety fuse on the heat exchanger ? Just seems a shame to replace a whole boiler for what could be a simple fix,its just finding someone who knows these boilers

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Reckon about ten years is the life of a modern boiler nowadays, just long enough to run out the guarantee.

My Worcester Bosch has just packed up at eleven years old and have had replaced with a Baxi at the recommendation of my plumber.
    read somewhere that remeha and baxi merged

Aaargh boiler down help needed

They certainly don’t build them like they used to, my dad still has our first boiler (original Worcester) fitted back in the 80’s. If I remember it was installed just before I moved out lol. House went from having a paraffin heater on the landing, blankets on the beds and condensation on the windows, immersion heater, to hot water, radiators and warmth.... oh how I miss the 70’s

He called me only last week saying, the pilot light wouldn’t stay lit, £10 spent on a universal thermocouple, 10 mins to fit, and she was back up and running, and that is all it has ever had in over 30 odd years!
    Last edited by Anygreg; 16th September 2018 at 09:52.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    They certainly don’t build them like they used to, my dad still has our first boiler (original Worcester) fitted back in the 80’s. If I remember it was installed just before I moved out lol. House went from having a paraffin heater on the landing, blankets on the beds and condensation on the windows, immersion heater, to hot water, radiators and warmth.... oh how I miss the 70’s

He called me only last week saying, the pilot light wouldn’t stay lit, £10 spent on a universal thermocouple, 10 mins to fit, and she was back up and running, and that is all it has ever had in over 30 odd years!
    Moved into a house in 1976 and had CH installed the boiler lived outside and apart from the odd thermocoupler replacement was still going strong when we moved out in 2009.Just sold the last house that had a Biasi boiler BG were its friends to the OP the heat exchanger on this boiler was around the £450.00 ex fitting.

yep £450 for heat exh ouch. the annoying thing is its the small fuse thats gone and that is not available separate (bloody plastics in a boiler!!!!)

Yep read that ,not great news

Yes, seems the fuse blows once the heat exchanger(?) has over-heated to prevent further damage or fire. The damage is already done and no-point in replacing fuse.