closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vertical lift installation at home

Vertical lift installation at home

Right guys I posted just over a week back asking for help/advice on stair lifts for a family member who has MND, a few great members got in contact who I’ve update and apologised to as I made the error and it’s not actually a stair lift they require it’s a vertical loft.

So back to the beginning can anyone help or advise on persons/companies who cover Northamptonshire who might be able to help, I’m not after favours or discounts etc just recommendations I’m seeking.

Thanks in advance

I had a look at these last year, it was almost cheaper to build a suitable extension.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I had a look at these last year, it was almost cheaper to build a suitable extension.

Eddie
    Yeah awkward situation they have already built an extension prior to the illness and it’s the family home, obviously they could sort sleeping arrangements downstairs but want to keep some form of normality for their little girl who’s not even two yet.

If you don’t mind me asking did you get a specialty company to quote or just from research etc?

My parents had one installed last year. Rather than cut a hole in the floor they had a lift shaft built on a the side of the house, however this caused the job to get a lot more complicated not to mention more expensive. My dad had to deal with planning consent and building control, had to contract an architect and also a builder who was prepared to take on the job, and had to liaise with the lift company with regards to the specs and their schedule. It took 18 months from start to finish and was a very frustrating experience, the lift company, although very professional, was only interested in fitting the lift, they usually install them to transport you from a ground floor room into an upstairs room so they didn’t want to get involved with the building of the lift shaft. The lift shaft although a relatively simple structure was complicated by the building being a bungalow with a retro fitted loft conversion, most builders we contacted didn’t want to know when they’d viewed the job. The total cost was over £30k from memory but the lift itself was less than a third of that cost as it was an ex demo model they’d been displaying at various trade shows. The lift was provided and installed by a company called Stiltz and I can’t fault it, it’s very well made, inherently safe and affords my mum the use of the whole of the house now she’s no longer able to tackle the stairs.

Master
    We looked at installing one at work when we moved our shop layout so most of it was on the first floor rather than the ground floor.
    Iirc we were quoted around £12k

Not much help but a start, the series welcome to le Chateu fitted a really clever one, worth taking a look if you can find the episode/

Blog Entries
    We have fitted platform lifts in new offices and homes, should be about a £29k job.

Pitch

Those lifts look great but you do lose a lot of room space and are pretty expensive.

I realise it may not suit all situations but my Mum has a Stannah stair lift and it has been a boon.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Just saw an advert in a magazine and it was for these guys but just out of interest does anybody know what the impact is on selling the property?

Thanks guys I’ll look into and pass the info on.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Those lifts look great but you do lose a lot of room space and are pretty expensive.

I realise it may not suit all situations but my Mum has a Stannah stair lift and it has been a boon.
    They already have a stair lift but it’s not going to be suitable soon and they’ll need a vertical lift.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just saw an advert in a magazine and it was for these guys but just out of interest does anybody know what the impact is on selling the property?
    Imagine that you can just take it out and board up the hole, re-plaster, carpet etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Yeah awkward situation they have already built an extension prior to the illness and it’s the family home, obviously they could sort sleeping arrangements downstairs but want to keep some form of normality for their little girl who’s not even two yet.

If you don’t mind me asking did you get a specialty company to quote or just from research etc?
    I just did online research and then went with a stairlift, which does the job fine. I really wanted to build the extension complete with wetroom but the wife didn't want the upheaval during the build.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    There are lots of (generally small) companies out there that will supply and install. I don’t know of firms local to you, but have used Stannah in the past for vertical platform lifts countrywide and am currently using Evolift for a project on the south coast. Regardless of supplier the actual lifts come from a very small pool of manufacturers- Aritco are pretty common at present. £15k seems to be about the going rate depending on exact details.
    The lifts tend to be freestanding but you may need to tie to some structure at high level for lateral restraint. You may also need some structure to support the lift base if you have a basement or suspended ground floor rather than a ground bearing concrete slab. You will also need a sparky to sort the electrics.

Blog Entries
    fitted several of these.

https://www.gartechome.com

Master
    Have you tried the MND association