closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Member - S.Wales

Apprentice

New Member - S.Wales

Morning all.

I've lurked for a little while and decided to sign up. I've always wore watches, but nothing fancy, Casio's as a kid, smart watches with 1 day battery life (!) recently then a Withings Activitie Sapphire as a compromise between smart watch/real watch.

I'm based in S.Wales, IT engineer hovering around the new DevOps methodologies and have recently inherited my first 'proper watch'

My grandad was a keen diver in the 70's & 80's, and so in 1978 he bought himself a Sea-Dweller. I understand it to be a 'Rail Dial' and from what I've learnt these seem to be rising in desirability, and has also impacted my insurance premium He wore it 24/7, and so do I, so it's never been pampered.

I believe I need to have it serviced and so would appreciate any guidance available in the process and how to ensure its vintage qualities are retained. The dome is perpetually scratched due to it always being on my wrist in work, mountain biking, gym, kids etc! And the strap is a bit stretched, so any pointers on those two fronts would also be welcomed.

Apologies for the long intro, I'll attach a picture now and sign off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Welcome and that's one hell of an introduction. I have had a few vintage Rolexes serviced by Duncan Potter, an accredited Rolex service agent, he does an exceptional job:

https://genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/
    "A man of little significance"

Welcome to the forum!
    First off there are plenty of people here who will be able to advise you on the service side. But for me what a great watch to own, a true classic and one that has been used and worn and has the scars to prove it.
    If it was me I would look to get the watch serviced with a movement only service and keep all the scratches and dinks it may have as memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a lovely watch. The crystal might clear up with a bit of a light polish.

Welcome
    I certainly recommend independents, including Duncan. However, his site specifically excludes Seadweller servicing, and previous talks with Rocco, another independent, seemed to indicate that Rolex themselves do not allow independents to service SDs, and they do not supply them the parts to do so, so they are all serviced in-house.
    RSC is your option for servicing.
    Michael Young is excellent on bracelets, so is Seth, search for them on the forum.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Welcome
    I certainly recommend independents, including Duncan. However, his site specifically excludes Seadweller servicing, and previous talks with Rocco, another independent, seemed to indicate that Rolex themselves do not allow independents to service SDs, and they do not supply them the parts to do so, so they are all serviced in-house.
    RSC is your option for servicing.
    Michael Young is excellent on bracelets, so is Seth, search for them on the forum.
    Dave
    That's a very good point, I'd forgotten about the SD rule!

If you do send it to Rolex make sure to tell them you only want the movement serviced and no polishing or parts replaced. Unless of course you want it returned to you looking like new but that would be a terrible shame for such a beautiful watch with all that history.
    "A man of little significance"

Apprentice
    Thank you for the warm welcome and advice.

Yes, my fear is having it serviced and it comes back as a 'new' watch, as I understand Rolex are not bothered about preserving its vintage qualities. I was not aware I could specify a movement only service so that's good news.

Dare I ask, what is the ballpark for a service? I've read a couple of threads the past hour that suggest I won't get a quote until Rolex themselves have assessed it.

Apprentice
    Welcome from another newbie ! Nice watch btw

Master
    Welcome!
    Same year here!

Apprentice
    Nice!

Where should I look to find straps like yours? V.nice
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Welcome!
    Same year here!

The 'just got the call from my AD' Rolex threads leave me cold, but that's a great introduction!

Somehow your Rolex looks more appealing than 95% of the others here, because of the back story!

i can't help on servicing, but there are plenty here who can.

Cheers.

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbakes View Post
    Nice!

I bought it from a Finnish watchmaker who sources them from Italy.

Welcome

Nice watch with lovely history

Master
    Welcome. Really loving your SD.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Morning all.

I've lurked for a little while and decided to sign up. I've always wore watches, but nothing fancy, Casio's as a kid, smart watches with 1 day battery life (!) recently then a Withings Activitie Sapphire as a compromise between smart watch/real watch.

I'm based in S.Wales, IT engineer hovering around the new DevOps methodologies and have recently inherited my first 'proper watch'

My grandad was a keen diver in the 70's & 80's, and so in 1978 he bought himself a Sea-Dweller. I understand it to be a 'Rail Dial' and from what I've learnt these seem to be rising in desirability, and has also impacted my insurance premium He wore it 24/7, and so do I, so it's never been pampered.

I believe I need to have it serviced and so would appreciate any guidance available in the process and how to ensure its vintage qualities are retained. The dome is perpetually scratched due to it always being on my wrist in work, mountain biking, gym, kids etc! And the strap is a bit stretched, so any pointers on those two fronts would also be welcomed.

Apologies for the long intro, I'll attach a picture now and sign off.

This is mint, wow just wow

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

New Member - S.Wales

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice.

Yes, my fear is having it serviced and it comes back as a 'new' watch, as I understand Rolex are not bothered about preserving its vintage qualities. I was not aware I could specify a movement only service so that's good news.

Dare I ask, what is the ballpark for a service? I've read a couple of threads the past hour that suggest I won't get a quote until Rolex themselves have assessed it.

Contrary to popular belief Rolex will service a vintage watch and will follow your instructions if you ask them not to replace dial / hands. I’m not sure about case polishing or replacement of other parts (crown tube, crown, seals etc) but I can’t see why they wouldn’t follow your instructions.

Just one word of warning though, the last time I had a vintage watch serviced at RSC they phoned me up about a week after I’d dropped off the watch to let me know that there was a little bit of what looked like lose lume on one of the hands and that they couldn’t guarantee that the hands would “survive” the service process and might need to be replaced. All was not lost though - I could have the damaged hands back if I wanted them, meaning I could get the lume matched and have them re fitted to the watch by an independent if necessary.

In the end none of that was actually required because the hands survived and were re fitted.

For what it’s worth, and I’m not sure where you are based, but I would drop it into RSC at St James Square personally if it is at all possible. This should avoid any instructions you give getting lost in translation so to speak between you, the AD, and the service centre.

As for cost, the last time I had a 70s GMT done (around a year or so ago) it was about £700 I think. A Sea Dweller may be a little more expensive, but give or take, I recon you’ll be in for just under a grand which in my opinion would be money very well spent.

Beautiful watch by the way, wear in good health.

Last edited by Piemuncher22; 13th September 2018 at 22:25.

Apprentice
    Thank you for the informative reply.

I'm based in South Wales, but am more than happy to take a trip to the big smoke.

I believe it's already got a service insert fitted. I'd be happy for them to perform any mechanical maintenance needed, but keep the dials and hands, and possibly not polish it.

I've set aside £1k for the service so it's all good news so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Contrary to popular belief Rolex will service a vintage watch and will follow your instructions if you ask them not to replace dial / hands. I’m not sure about case polishing or replacement of other parts (crown tube, crown, seals etc) but I can’t see why they wouldn’t follow your instructions.

Just one word of warning though, the last time I had a vintage watch serviced at RSC they phoned me up about a week after I’d dropped off the watch to let me know that there was a little bit of what looked like lose lume on one of the hands and that they couldn’t guarantee that the hands would “survive” the service process and might need to be replaced. All was not lost though - I could have the damaged hands back if I wanted them, meaning I could get the lume matched and have them re fitted to the watch by an independent if necessary.

In the end none of that was actually required because the hands survived and were re fitted.

For what it’s worth, and I’m not sure where you are based, but I would drop it into RSC at St James Square personally if it is at all possible. This should avoid any instructions you give getting lost in translation so to speak between you, the AD, and the service centre.

As for cost, the last time I had a 70s GMT done (around a year or so ago) it was about £700 I think. A Sea Dweller may be a little more expensive, but give or take, I recon you’ll be in for just under a grand which in my opinion would be money very well spent.

Beautiful watch by the way, wear in good health.

Journeyman
    Welcome, nice watch.

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

That's one hell of a minty vintage piece. Wear in good health (and it deserves to be worn!).
    Last edited by Steelgecko; 15th September 2018 at 06:55.

Nice!

Lovely combo

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

lovely watch and what a great legacy

it may be worth PM'ing Haywood Milton on here who I am sure will be happy to give you some advice on the servicing. He will have seen more of these than most.

My two-penneth on the bracelet is maybe to source a newer (but not new) bracelet that you can use on the watch without fear, and keep the original safely stored elsewhere.