closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Modern (TAG) Heuer Autavia & Monza - any good?

Modern (TAG) Heuer Autavia & Monza - any good?

I'd really like a motorsport orientated chrono next and these two seem to fit the bill...

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tag%20...58/item/117732

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tag%20...84/item/117070

They don't really get mentioned on here very often though and I don't think I've ever seen either in the Friday threads, are they not very well thought of?

I would much prefer if the Autavia had seconds on the bezel rather than hours and the chrono on the Monza only seems to go up to 30 minutes which makes it pretty useless but I think it looks great.

I had been considering a Speedy but I've already got a 2500 PO which looks very similar and I'd prefer an auto with a date.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you buy at a decent price both are fine. I'd advise against buying at full RRP unless you're sure it's a keeper

The new Autavia is a tad chunky for my small wrist and I didn't like the polished effect when worn with the BoR bracelet.

The Monza, although I like it, is not for me in PVD/coated style

If your budget is at full RRP or a bit more, I'd buy a vintage Heuer in your position - there's been a few on SC recently

Master
    I’ve got the Monza and it’s a great looking watch... being titanium nice and light.

Master
    Really like that Monza re-issue, never realised it was titanium.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    I'd really like a motorsport orientated chrono next and these two seem to fit the bill...

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tag%20...58/item/117732

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tag%20...84/item/117070

They don't really get mentioned on here very often though and I don't think I've ever seen either in the Friday threads, are they not very well thought of?

I would much prefer if the Autavia had seconds on the bezel rather than hours and the chrono on the Monza only seems to go up to 30 minutes which makes it pretty useless but I think it looks great.

I had been considering a Speedy but I've already got a 2500 PO which looks very similar and I'd prefer an auto with a date.

I’ve sent you a pm

Journeyman
    Obviously the designs are quite different, but I would go with the Autavia over the Monza. With price being the same, you get a much better movement in the Autavia.

The new(er?) Tag in house movements are really nice. I have a Carrera with the "semi" in house (made but not designed) 1887 and have had the opportunity to handle ones with the 1969/ Heuer 02 movement (the 1969/ Heuer 02 is fully in house I believe). They are both really nice column wheel chronographs and IMHO much better than Calibre 17 - particularly given the fact that that the 17 is a modular chronograph rather than an integrated one. It's basically a ETA 2892, albeit a chronometer grade one, with a "standard" cam wheel chronograph module tacked on.

To be clear, I think both are great watches and nothing wrong with ETA based or modular chronographs. Just that at the same price, I would always go for the in house movement, particularly if it is a more sophisticated one like the Heuer 02.

Master

Thanks for the info Jimbo, I was already leaning towards the Autavia but that's swung it for me. Although the Monza posted above does look seriously cool! And thanks for the recommendation JK but the Chopard is waaay over budget!

I like them both.

I "almost" bought an Autavia...I went into the shop to try one on...

It looked great, the only trouble was...I couldnt read it easily with my 58 year old eyes!

A real shame, as I would have bought it otherwise.

The re-edition Autavia is in my view a lovely watch, but the left hand sub-dial is marked in two and a half minute increments which is the only thing which I found off putting (2.5, 5, 7.5, 10 etc.). I m not sure if this has been changed on more recent models. If not and you can see past this, then I think it’s a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    The re-edition Autavia is in my view a lovely watch, but the left hand sub-dial is marked in two and a half minute increments which is the only thing which I found off putting (2.5, 5, 7.5, 10 etc.). I m not sure if this has been changed on more recent models. If not and you can see past this, then I think it’s a great choice.
    I believe it has been changed, I wonder what TAG would charge to swap dials, I wonder if the early dial is going to become more collectible (in 20 years time...)!
    "A man of little significance"