closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A couple of recent arrivals plus a bit of a mod.

A couple of recent arrivals plus a bit of a mod.

Here are a couple of watches that I picked up recently.

I was browsing for a watch that I could do a blue dye job on, particularly an ICERC ‘Dolphin and Whale’ one as I think blue suits the theme of the watches.

I did spot this advert and decided to go for it as the ICERC watch is an unusual one and is rarely seen and it had the advantage of coming with another G Shock, never a bad thing. I picked up both watches for a really good price.

The DW-6900 look-a-like is actually the G-7210K-7AJR. This watch is particularly suitable for dyeing as the original clear resin was over a dark case not white and this gave a bit of a ‘dirty’ look to the watch even when new. Not sure why Casio thought this was a good idea.

Here is the watch as it arrived.

The watch has some good functions. It is tough solar and has an 100 hr stopwatch, it has a yacht countdown timer, settable for auto repeat or elapsed time modes, together with all the reset time and progress bleeper functions you tend to find on these. It has five alarms including snooze, dual time, auto EL, power save and that unusual feature a brightness alarm for if you want to wake up with the sunrise.

So I went ahead with the dying project as I am not that keen on the pee yellow colour of the aged resin and here are the results.

I did a dark blue to make sure the case was obscured. Perhaps I should have left it a little lighter. I am not sure whether to colour the bezel lettering white or not.

Here is the other watch.

It is the G-8100-7JF. The look of the watch is a bit ‘challenging’ and was very sci-fi when originally made. I think the look has aged pretty well and I think it looks pretty good, pretty modern.

The watch has 24 hr stopwatch and countdown timer. The countdown timer can auto repeat and has progress bleepers if required. It has world time, three fully functional date alarms including snooze and twin auto EL panels, you can turn the button tone off if desired.

The twin auto EL panels produce a pretty spectacular light display.

The watch was in very good condition, these glossy resin watches often show considerable wear on the bezel as the coating wears or is knocked off. This one has only a couple of very small marks.
    Some wrist shots.

So pretty pleased with these two. They are very rarely seen so I thought it worthwhile to post about them as members are not likely to have seen them before, even though they are ‘marmite’ watches

Any thoughts on the watches and the dye job?

Mitch

Journeyman
    Great job on the blue (much better than pee colour). What do you use to dye the resin?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PTelli View Post
    Great job on the blue (much better than pee colour). What do you use to dye the resin?

I used Rit dye, very easy to use and takes well on the resin.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by PTelli View Post
    Great job on the blue (much better than pee colour).

The black case makes the bezel look a darker colour and I did perhaps do the watch a little darker than ideal.

Here are a couple more photos.

Here is the EL panel, which continues with the whale theme.

Because jelly resin is more resistant to damage the new dye makes the watch look new and I think the colour is more suitable to a 'Dolphin and Whale' theme than aged yellow.

Mitch

Well, because of the obvious interest in these watches, here are a couple more of my G-8100's.

Certainly a 'striking' look and many will hate the look.

As I said though, I think the design has aged pretty well and is probably seen as more acceptable now than when issued. Certainly not many will have been shown on this forum I would think.

Kind of odd therefore (or perhaps not) that no one wants to comment on them good or bad and I would expect a lot of 'bad' comments, with which I would have no problem as they are a 'challenging' design.

Still I expect folk are saving their efforts for the next 'I have had a phone call from an AD' thread.

Mitch

I really like the negative-display red 8100, it's got that funky, retro look that good designs achieve when they were originally meant to be super-futuristic.

I'm only just starting out in G-shock appreciation, and have always struggled to like the clear resin ones - the blue dye works really well and (to me at least) looks better even than the non-aged, as-new clear resin. Does the "whale-themed" EL backlight make it harder to read the display? I've seen a few limited editions with logos etc built into the EL and have always wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Does the "whale-themed" EL backlight make it harder to read the display? I've seen a few limited editions with logos etc built into the EL and have always wondered.

On old G Shocks these logos were very prominent on the display. On modern G Shocks it is not really an issue and you don't see the logo until you illuminate the display.

Mitch

Just spotted this. I've got a V. old ICERC in a drawer at home. Not that one, it didn't have the black body and it had a whale in the lume / LED if i remember right. Might dig it out and have a think about dying it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by beem View Post
    Just spotted this. I've got a V. old ICERC in a drawer at home. Not that one, it didn't have the black body and it had a whale in the lume / LED if i remember right. Might dig it out and have a think about dying it. Thanks for the inspiration.

No problem.

If you find the watch you should post it on here so that we can see what model it is.

Mitch

Congratulations on your find(s). Particularly like the 7210 and what you ve done with it dyeing it blue. What was the process?

Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    Congratulations on your find(s). Particularly like the 7210 and what you ve done with it dyeing it blue. What was the process?

I use Rit dye, dissolved in water just off the boil. The length of the process depends on how deep you want the new colour. Keeping the resin in the water for about 20 minutes gives a nice colour.

The colour change is permanent and will not fade. The darker colours seem far more resistant to UV colour change than just clear, I don't think you would really notice any difference over many many years.

You can only go from light colour to darker colour it does not work the other way. It is possible for Casio to make resin that will not change colour under UV light. The strap keepers are made of different resin that seems unaffected over the years and also will not take the dye very much, or at all, even though you keep it in the dye for much longer. You must not put the strap keepers in really hot water or they will distort.

You can always dye the jelly resin black and then you cannot really distinguish it from ordinary black resin and it will never rot out on you.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch. I d not seen the ICERC g-shocks before, but I can feel a purchase and a little modding of my own coming on!!