closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mudlarking

Mudlarking

I'm following some really good Thames mudlarking pages on Instagram and Facebook, anyone here ever go?

https://www.facebook.com/LondonMudlark/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/741963675849764/

https://www.instagram.com/london.mudlark/?hl=en
    "A man of little significance"

Not been yet,but im a detectorist so always have my eyes on the ground..Nicola White mudlarking has a good You tube channel and has a lovely soothing voice and is quite easy on the eye also.

Apprentice
    The finds look more interesting than the lads who go magnet fishing in Manchester’s canals: 32 pence, a kitchen knife and bunch of hypodermic needles.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfuzz View Post
    The finds look more interesting than the lads who go magnet fishing in Manchester’s canals: 32 pence, a kitchen knife and bunch of hypodermic needles.
    I used to live on a narrowboat on the Thames, for a while moored up next to a fantastic 1920s fast launch with a load of history, including Dunkirk. It was falling apart, I wish I'd paid more attention to it. Huge engines, built for a very wealthy owner, then used for smuggling, confiscated on the Thames in central London by the police and used by them until the war as a fast pursuit boat. Anyway, we were moored next to Kingston bridge and occasionally kids bunking off school would appear on the end of the boat with string and magnets and pull up various types of 100-year-old enamelled metal boat licence and so on. I wish I'd bothered!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I used to live on a narrowboat on the Thames, for a while moored up next to a fantastic 1920s fast launch with a load of history, including Dunkirk. It was falling apart, I wish I'd paid more attention to it. Huge engines, built for a very wealthy owner, then used for smuggling, confiscated on the Thames in central London by the police and used by them until the war as a fast pursuit boat. Anyway, we were moored next to Kingston bridge and occasionally kids bunking off school would appear on the end of the boat with string and magnets and pull up various types of 100-year-old enamelled metal boat licence and so on. I wish I'd bothered!
    There used to be knackered one moored near Kew Bridge,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Earlier this year I bought a detector and downloaded the application forms for licences for Mrs Draft and myself. So far however she has been reluctant to pursue it.

My wife has a foreshore permit, and used to go down there to fossick in the dirt all the time. To date, nothing valuable, but she lives in hope!

There is a club you can join, it has tours run by the ‘Mud God’, if you’re even more unlucky Jonny Vaughan might appear too !https://sites.google.com/site/thamesandfield/home

Journeyman
    I bought a lovely classic VW Beetle off of SteveBrooker, aka MudGod!

Craftsman
    I wouldn't mind having a go but have pretty crap luck so far as finding interesting things goes.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

I assume you have seen Johnny Vaughan's TV series Mud Men?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I love my detecting but have fancied having a go on the Thames mudlarking, a mate I go detecting with has paid to go out with Steve Brooker and said its well worth it, probabley just for the stories of whats found! Its a good 240 mile round trip to get to the Thames for me and you have to catch the right tides but I'm sure I'll give it a go one day.

For now I'll stick to roaming the fields with my XP Deus, anymore detectorists on here would be great to see your finds Here is some hammered coins from Henry VI and Henry VII I found with the Deus, This is the type of thing that can be found along the foreshore mixed in with the mud and stones so good eyes needed.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I love my detecting but have fancied having a go on the Thames mudlarking, a mate I go detecting with has paid to go out with Steve Brooker and said its well worth it, probabley just for the stories of whats found! Its a good 240 mile round trip to get to the Thames for me and you have to catch the right tides but I'm sure I'll give it a go one day.

For now I'll stick to roaming the fields with my XP Deus, anymore detectorists on here would be great to see your finds Here is some hammered coins from Henry VI and Henry VII I found with the Deus, This is the type of thing that can be found along the foreshore mixed in with the mud and stones so good eyes needed.

Those are wonderful finds - actually holding a tangible piece of history!

Any more?

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Those are wonderful finds - actually holding a tangible piece of history!

Any more?

Thank you, yes when you find something like this you know the person who dropped it was living a very different life to what we live, here is Groat of Elizabeth 1st

So those Hammered coins are around 500 years old, but when you find Roman coins and artefacts you know they date to over 1700 years old and the last person to touch them was of course a Roman.

This is Roman brooch complete with pin, quite often the pins are gone being that old so nice to find one intact.

Roman coins are quite common and I found quite a few like this one below, its Constantine the Great, so around 272-337 AD

If your lucky you can find with eyes only very old history, this is Flint Scraper I found along with some other similar age tools, its Neolithic and dates to around 2300 BC, well over 4000 years ago was the last person to touch this! It's really strange to hold as it fits perfectly between thumb and finger and has a really sharp edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I assume you have seen Johnny Vaughan's TV series Mud Men?
    I haven't, so thank you for the heads-up!

murkeywaters - amazing stuff! My grandfather was an archaeologist and I have a few of his old finds, including a rather amazing Stone Age axe head. I should take some pictures and upload them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    murkeywaters - amazing stuff! My grandfather was an archaeologist and I have a few of his old finds, including a rather amazing Stone Age axe head. I should take some pictures and upload them here.
    Yes post them up, axe heads are great whether Stone Age or Bronze Age, either way very old..

Those are wonderful - thank you for posting them.

The detail on the groat, and the artistry on the brooch, are both stunning. Lovely to see.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Some lovely stuff there Murkey, such an interesting hobby.

My wife's nephew is a keen detectorist and has found a lot of interesting stuff, recently a medieval brooch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.