timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Rolex prices

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    269

    Rolex prices

    Everyone, just been looking over the secondary market dealers this afternoon and the level of asking prices over RRP. Got me thinking on what the market would look like if RRP was actually at the levels in the secondary market and whether buyers would start to think twice if a BLNR was RRP 10K, Hulk 10.5k, Deepsea was 13k and would a Daytona still be value at 17k RRP.

    Obviously Rolex will increase prices at some point in the future and maybe in a couple of years, with Brexit and custom taxes etc affecting the market, maybe a BLNR will cost 10k etc.

    Could the secondary market still charge a premium, BLNR 12k! Do you think that Rolex pricing has a limit to what they could charge RRP before being laughed at.

  2. #2
    Master -Ally-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,969
    I reckon Rolex know the game better than anyone else.

  3. #3
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    5,883
    OP, please just go play with your jigsaws.

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    s60
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I reckon Rolex know the game better than anyone else.
    This.

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    13,520
    Oh how we have missed you......not.

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    269

    Game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    OP, please just go play with your jigsaws.
    More of a Kerplunk player myself but you can get back to your Comics and leave this thread alone as it does not interest you.

  7. #7
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    More of a Kerplunk player myself but you can get back to your Comics and leave this thread alone as it does not interest you.
    Indeed. GN.

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I reckon Rolex know the game better than anyone else.
    They certainly do play the game very well and have done so for some time, could well say the same for Patek etc. Obviously Rokex, Patek can control levels of production and pricing too some extent but outside influences such as currency fluctuations and customs duties have an affect.

    Purely hypothetical my starting post and you can always point to the RRP that Patek and AP place on steel models but would a 10k or 13k RRP on a Rolex professional give you a pause for thought before buying.

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    101
    If rolex RRP become the grey/2nd market price the RRP of Patek, Vacheron & AP will go up.

    Rolex has already become apple of the watch world by establishing itself as the de facto leader due to marketing.

    Rolex is no different to apple if they increase the price by 30% over all nobody cares as they are now the bench market regardless of how bad or good they are


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  10. #10
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    If rolex RRP become the grey/2nd market price the RRP of Patek, Vacheron & AP will go up.

    Rolex has already become apple of the watch world by establishing itself as the de facto leader due to marketing.

    Rolex is no different to apple if they increase the price by 30% over all nobody cares as they are now the bench market regardless of how bad or good they are


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Great point.

  11. #11
    Master -Ally-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Purely hypothetical my starting post and you can always point to the RRP that Patek and AP place on steel models but would a 10k or 13k RRP on a Rolex professional give you a pause for thought before buying.
    Yes, certainly.

    Patek Aquanaut and 5711 and 5712 is perfect example. I’d have bought at previous RRP but now it’s too much for SS, I’d sooner have a 5146

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,244

    Rolex prices

    I think you have to add in desirability nobody wants a 5416.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Corona Borealis
    Posts
    6,833
    Rolex are underpriced in the current market.

  14. #14
    Master -Ally-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    I think you have to add in desirability nobody wants a 5416.



    I do.

  15. #15
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    More of a Kerplunk player myself but you can get back to your Comics and leave this thread alone as it does not interest you.
    Why the hostility towards the OP?

  16. #16
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    13,520
    Quote Originally Posted by watchfan_66 View Post
    Why the hostility towards the OP?

    History.

  17. #17
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    History.
    The query/question asked is valid though.

  18. #18
    Master -Ally-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,969
    Quote Originally Posted by watchfan_66 View Post
    The query/question asked is valid though.
    Certain people on this forum hold grudges though.

  19. #19
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Certain people on this forum hold grudges though.
    So it seems.

    To the OP: fair comment.

  20. #20
    If prices rose to the grey market then a lot of people would think twice,I know I would .The wife wouldnt believe anything I said to justify buying a hulk at 10.5K, or gmt at that price.I would be out of the rolex game

  21. #21
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    KB, IR
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    If prices rose to the grey market then a lot of people would think twice,I know I would .The wife wouldnt believe anything I said to justify buying a hulk at 10.5K, or gmt at that price.I would be out of the rolex game
    Folks trying or thinking or nearly able to get in the game, but only at current RRP levels are also thinking twice.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Master luddite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Upper Buggersdale, Nr Leeds
    Posts
    1,389
    People are sheep.
    Sheep who don't understand economics.
    They don't realise they can control prices, they see Rolex raising prices and it doesn't enter their thick noddles that if they stopped paying through the nose prices would fall.
    The sheep continue to buy and Rolex continue to overprice humdrum watches.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

    Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

    I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Rolex are underpriced in the current market.
    Wait till next year...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •