closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PayPal fees

PayPal fees

Anyone help ?
    I’ve sold a jacket to a guy who said he will pay
    Via PayPal. Price was £270 but I’ve only received £260.62
    I questioned the buyer and he said it’s the fee.
    Is this correct ?
    Cheers Andy

If sent by Goods and Services then yes, they take a cut.

Always calculate it in advance from their published figures on how much they take, or use something like:

http://finalfeecalc.co.uk/paypal-fee-calculator-uk/

This is why some sales listings will insist on payment via Gift, but this leaves the buyer with no PayPal protection if the item doesn't arrive/they need to get a refund. But equally, a gift payment can be reversed far more easily by the buyer, meaning the seller equally has no protection even if they can provide evidence they sent the item and the buyer received it.

Stick to bank transfers as a seller, and PayPal Goods and Services as a buyer!

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Anyone help ?
    Is this correct ?
    Cheers Andy
    PayPal fee is 3.4% iirc. Check your PP account and it will show the fee taken.

Thanks. Also he said he’s sent the money and sent me a screen shot
    But the money isn’t in my account yet. I’d that normal as well ?

Wait until it's in your account. There can be a slight delay in transfer, but how long are we talking?

Who is the buyer? Just some random bloke on eBay or suchlike, or a trusted member of here?

PayPal will sometimes 'hold' money for 'security reasons'. It might say 'funds pending' or similar next to the entry in your account.

I wouldn't post anything until you see the funds and have transferred them to your bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Wait until it's in your account. There can be a slight delay in transfer, but how long are we talking?

Who is the buyer? Just some random bloke on eBay or suchlike, or a trusted member of here?
    A Stranger off schpok. He said I need to provide the tracking number before PayPal
    Release the funds. So basically send it rmsd then wait for the money
    Seems dodgy to me

Blog Entries
    A Stranger off schpok. He said I need to provide the tracking number before PayPal
    Seems dodgy to me
    It is dodgy Do not post until the money is in your PP account you should receive a notification and definitely do not provide a tracking number.
    The normal process is PP are paid and they notify you and tell you to post there is a fee for their services which is taken at source and will be shown on your account.

Seems dodgy to me
    That is totally wrong.

I suspect he hasn't sent it to you and is a scammer.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    It is dodgy Do not post until the money is in your PP account you should receive a notification and definitely do not provide a tracking number.
    The normal process is PP are paid and they notify you and tell you to post there is a fee for their services which is taken at source and will be shown on your account.
    Cheers Mart. That’s what I thought
    I’m totally new to PayPal. Wish I’d have asked for a BT
    What happens if he now says “right ok I’ll have my money back “ .?

- - - Updated - - -

That is totally wrong.

I suspect he hasn't sent it to you and is a scammer.
    Cheers for the advice. Sounds a bit dodgy

Seems dodgy to me
    This is nonsense. He's either trying it on.

Cheers Mart. That’s what I thought
    I’m totally new to PayPal. Wish I’d have asked for a BT
    What happens if he now says “right ok I’ll have my money back “ .?

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers for the advice. Sounds a bit dodgy
    If he says he wants his money back...you don't do anything as you haven't got it.

Honestly, this guy sounds like he knows you don't know how PayPal works and is just trying it on.

Call PayPal/contact them directly and ask them if they have this transaction in their system on your account. If not, ignore the guy and report him on the site you're dealing with him on.

If he says he wants his money back...you don't do anything as you haven't got it.

Honestly, this guy sounds like he knows you don't know how PayPal works and is just trying it on.

Call PayPal/contact them directly and ask them if they have this transaction in their system on your account. If not, ignore the guy and report him on the site you're dealing with him on.
    It says the money is on hold in the PayPal account. After I’ve sent the coat
    I’ll get Payment on 5th Oct.
    3 weeks to get cash

Anyone help ?
    Is this correct ?
    Cheers Andy
    It is the fee and he owes you 9.38! He'll have to transfer more than that to cover the fee. Suggest you refund him and get him to trader the correct amount.

Craftsman
    He's got the right to reverse the transaction even after he's got your jacket! You can transfer the money to yiur account BUT he can still open a case and paypal will block your funds. This is dodgy...
    You can take pictures of your jacket and send it RMSD but he can argue saying whatever he likes (not the right jacket, not as described, etc...), paypal will decide in his favour.
    Refuse the transaction on paypal or refund it if you'd like peace of mind.
    If he really wants it...he can do a paypal gift - no fees and no way to reverse it. Provide him any sort of assurance and send him the jacket.

If you are new to paypal its possible they may be holding the funds as a new account user. That being said the whole thing with this buyer doesnt sound right. I would phone paypal and ask them about the funds and why they are being held and for how long but to be honest, I think your best bet would be to just cancel the transaction and refund the money something which could easily be done.

By the way, usually when someone has paid for something by good and services then you should have a recipt of payment and the option to print out a postage slip to put on the parcel.

Quote Originally Posted by kokolino23 View Post
    He's got the right to reverse the transaction even after he's got your jacket! You can transfer the money to yiur account BUT he can still open a case and paypal will block your funds. This is dodgy...
    You can take pictures of your jacket and send it RMSD but he can argue saying whatever he likes (not the right jacket, not as described, etc...), paypal will decide in his favour.
    Refuse the transaction on paypal or refund it if you'd like peace of mind.
    If he really wants it...he can do a paypal gift - no fees and no way to reverse it. Provide him any sort of assurance and send him the jacket.
    This is incorrect - gift payments can be reversed more easily than trade payments as they are gifts and as such have nothing linked to them, like a proof of delivery of an item etc. You can easily say you gifted the money to the wrong person; the seller cannot claim that it was paid in relation to an item as it's a gift payment.

Master
    I may be wrong but I think the funds may have been held because you are a new seller on PayPal? If this is the case the buyer might be legit.

Craftsman
    From paypal website:
    Re: I've sent money as a 'gift' how am I protected?

Unfortunately not, no. There's no legal agreement in place where we can start reversing payments sent as gifts. We might be able to investigate the sellers account and shut it down if we have evidence of them breaching the user agreement but that would still not give us the right to reverse the payment.

You might want to look down the card protection or legal route for something like this.

Craftsman
    You can say that the account was hacked but what the person who received the funds has to do with this ?!

Craftsman
    Just to prove it, send me £20 as a gift, then reverse it. You can open a resolution but I don't think you'll get away with it. As any gift, it's your decision to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by kokolino23 View Post
    Just to prove it, send me £20 as a gift, then reverse it. You can open a resolution but I don't think you'll get away with it. As any gift, it's your decision to do so.
    I'm not going to go through the faff of PayPal disputes just to prove something to you that I already know is the case? If you're happy to take gift payments for items then crack on - it's all down to what you and I deem to be acceptable risks, which we seem to differ on.

Master
    Seems dodgy to me
    Scam.

Scam.

Scam.

He Sent you fake PayPal confirmation.

Block and report.

Andy
    It sounds like you’ve been fleeced
    Give me a bell and I’ll pop in and see you and run you the through things

Incidentally - i mistyped my PayPal address to a guy in here recently
    It was gift

The money sat as unclaimed and the buyer cancelled it

I won’t use PayPal outside of the bay oropervwebsites without fees unless on here or with family

Craftsman
    Here you go. Simples.

https://youtu.be/aGvqXXR745o

Andy

I am going to upset a few people here but you've received unbelievably bad advice from some posters.

I am both a business and private seller on eBay (so am familiar with PayPal) for 10+ years. I have no experience of Shpock however. So please bear with me.

Based on info you have supplied, this is NOT a scam. PayPal have taken, in line with Ts and Cs for private sellers, a 3.4% +20p cut as a fee for providing the merchant service (handling the money). It's not a free service!

Yes for new accounts funds are normally held - which is what has happened here. Perfectly normal! See this below from Paypal:

"Payments as a new*seller*are*held*for 21 days UNLESS when you send an item the buyer leaves feedback OR if you send the item trackable and that item shows as delivered + 3 days then email paypal and they will release thefunds*sooner. Payment*holds*occur because: You have been*selling*oneBay*for less than 90 days."

Provide the tracking number to the buyer and apologise to the buyer for the confusion.

The buyer sounds decent and is trying to help you by sending screenshots, and you have people on here trying to get you to cancel the transaction and report him! (Honestly guys I'm not trying to make enemies but a couple of you have given really poor advice without the benefit of knowledge.)

As long as you kept proof of postage, then you are covered against the risk of a buyer claiming they did not receive. Seller protection isn't fantastic against item not described cases but sellers should get the item back. Unless by chance the buyer is also going to claim the item was not as described, then I'm sure this will all go fine for you.

Separately, to those suggesting getting paid by PayPal Gift is safer than getting paid by normal PayPal, total rubbish. It's actually less safe. You should accept as payment only when you are certain about who is sending money to you (it's why it's also known as friends and family). If the buyer pays by Gift and funds the gift via credit or debit card (and the seller will not know this), then the seller is subject to credit and debit chargebacks with ZERO Paypal seller protection measures afforded to those getting paid using PayPal merchandise. PayPal won't want to know.
    Last edited by Steelgecko; 15th September 2018 at 08:35. Reason: Updated to reflect Shpock not eBay

The new seller thing happened to someone I bought a bike from recently. He was a nice guy so we stayed in touch until he got his money, took about 10 days. I know I wasn’t scamming him obviously, but he was a bit concerned until it arrived. I spoke to Paypal to confirm some details and they said it was normal as he was a new seller and it was a few hundred quid.

Would this be the same situation?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    The new seller thing happened to someone I bought a bike from recently. He was a nice guy so we stayed in touch until he got his money, took about 10 days. I know I wasn’t scamming him obviously, but he was a bit concerned until it arrived. I spoke to Paypal to confirm some details and they said it was normal as he was a new seller and it was a few hundred quid.

Would this be the same situation?
    Morning yes. Very similar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Andy
    It sounds like you’ve been fleeced
    Give me a bell and I’ll pop in and see you and run you the through things

Incidentally - i mistyped my PayPal address to a guy in here recently
    It was gift

The money sat as unclaimed and the buyer cancelled it

I won’t use PayPal outside of the bay oropervwebsites without fees unless on here or with family
    Cheers John. I’m at shop till 12 if you fancy a coffee

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    Andy

I am going to upset a few people here but you've received unbelievably bad advice from some posters.

I am both a business and private seller on eBay. For 10+ years. So please bear with me.

Based on info you have supplied, this is NOT a scam. EBay have taken, in line with Ts and Cs for private sellers, a 3.4% +20p cut as a fee for providing the merchant service (handling the money). It's not a free service!
    I believe the OP was selling via Shpock not eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Correct

If u decide to pull out of the deal on PayPal it gives the option
    To refund. Do I just click on that and it will cancel the transaction ?

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Thanks very much Benny for the heads up.. got carried away with eBay! I have amended my post to reflect Shpock not eBay, as I think the advice re PayPal Protection for merchandise payments still stands. My apologies to the OP for my mistake.

I still maintain that the OP has NOT been scammed and should not worry unduly.

Master
    No reason to assume a scam. Buyer has used trade PayPal to protect himself in case seller/op is a scammer.

As a seller I wouldn't accept any trade PayPal outwith eBay as the 'buyer' can abuse the payment refund process quite easily.

The problem for buyers is that paying via PayPal gift gives them little to no protection.

Catch 22 - someone has to trust.

I’ve refunded the guy. I just didn’t feel right about the transaction I’ve said to him we can do a face to face
    So I’ve got a spare MONCLER jacket for sale. Lol.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As an aside to the OP's tale.
    I would recommend you don't make regular sales using g the pp gift facilities. I have been cut off by PayPal for exactly this and they are simply not going to listen to any appeals.

Whilst this is very inconvenient for me, it was ultimately my fault. However pp then also cancelled my wife's account without giving any info, guilt by association.....

The only way to get a new account will be to move house and change banks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    I would recommend you don't make regular sales using g the pp gift facilities. I have been cut off by PayPal for exactly this and they are simply not going to listen to any appeals.

Whilst this is very inconvenient for me, it was ultimately my fault. However pp then also cancelled my wife's account without giving any info, guilt by association.....

can you clarify what regular sales means ? as i used to do 3-4 pp payments a week by gift and have never had a problem. some of them would between £300-£500

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post

A bit worrying esp for watch collectors...
    I'd also like more details re frequency and volume of sales you made.