closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: In praise of the humble(ish) Rolex OP 116000

Master

In praise of the humble(ish) Rolex OP 116000

So I had an unexpected incoming on Sunday. I was in Brent Cross and popped in Fraser Hart. They had received a fresh delivery the previous day, and this white grape OP 36mm was freshly sat in their display. I tried it on, it was a perfect fit on my 6.75" wrist, I loved the colour and variety of the dial and so I decided that I may as well pick it up! So I now have a 3rd Rolex after my Hulk and BLNR, and something a little bit different. With the size, mix of polished and brushed surfaces, it really is both a perfect everyday watch and dresses up and down very well. This really could be a genuine one-watch contender if I ever slimmed down the collection (unlikely!). As the "basic" Rolex, the quality of the dial and finishing is excellent. And given the feature set and price (£3900) it compares very well against offerings from Omega (the Railmaster or AT) and is so much better value than entry-level IWCs and the like. Anyway, I am super pleased and can't see this one leaving the collection anytime soon, although it means I may have to rotate at least one other piece out. I have a few photos below which hopefully show off the superb sunburst dial, which is probably my favourite aspect of the watch!

Grand Master
    One of my favourite Rolex models, the natural sucessor to the old Air King model IMO. Simple understated class.

36mm is plenty big enough for most folks too, despite the current big watch trend. I tried one of these on a few days ago and it certainly wore bigger than the 36mm Explorer 1 I was wearing, the squarer cases have that effect.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A great choice and a beautiful watch. My daughter chose the exact same model as her graduation present. I was very glad she did. Such a nice piece, with a lovely hue to the dial.👍

Journeyman
    Very nice watch at one point was considering this however I got offered a BLNR and purchased that instead.

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    So I now have a 3rd Rolex after my Hulk and BLNR, and something a little bit different. With the size, mix of polished and brushed surfaces, it really is both a perfect everyday watch and dresses up and down very well. This really could be a genuine one-watch contender if I ever slimmed down the collection (unlikely!). As the "basic" Rolex, the quality of the dial and finishing is excellent. And given the feature set and price (£3900) it compares very well against offerings from Omega (the Railmaster or AT) and is so much better value than entry-level IWCs and the like.

Great looking watch, love the dial colour. You refer to it a as a “basic” Rolex, presumably a reference to the price but is there any discernible quality differences between this and your other Rolex watches?

Master
    In its 36mm guise its probably my favourite Rolex although I prefer the white dialled version.

Master
    Saw one of those today, I was very tempted, great watch and pics!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Welby View Post
    Great looking watch, love the dial colour. You refer to it a as a “basic” Rolex, presumably a reference to the price but is there any discernible quality differences between this and your other Rolex watches?
    It’s the “entry” range, but there is absolutely no quality difference, just less features - e.g. no easy link, glidelock, trip-lock crown or bezel you get on some of the sports watches. It’s every bit as well made as my hulk.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    It’s the “entry” range, but there is absolutely no quality difference, just less features - e.g. no easy link, glidelock, trip-lock crown or bezel you get on some of the sports watches. It’s every bit as well made as my hulk.
    Great to hear, enjoy your purchase

Lovely watch & one I’m seriously considering instead of Sub, mind you it’s the 39mm black dial. Just need to try one on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Nice pick up and they seem good value comparatively (everything's relative!).
    I've just swapped from my SD which I only wore for the afternoon to my 14270 Explorer and it always feels like a ladies watch for the first few minutes.... then it feels like the perfect watch. I only have a 6.75" wrist but there's plenty of space in any collection for a hefty tool watch and something c36mm for that vintage/classy/any event feel.

Craftsman
    Purchased one for my wife, none of her other watches gets a look in now. It just looks "right".

I have the 39mm red grape , fantastic all rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    One of my favourite Rolex models, the natural sucessor to the old Air King model IMO. Simple understated class.

Paul
    Absolutely agree with this.

Craftsman
    Beautifully balanced dial without the date, congratulations on your latest acquisition.

Cheers
    Rory

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Lovely watch & one I’m seriously considering instead of Sub, mind you it’s the 39mm black dial. Just need to try one on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yeah, that's the variant that I like.

A nice and understated alternative

Owl1
    Love the dial

Craftsman
    It's really nice, everything on the dial just works so well - a proper simple watch. I also like the subtle vintage air it's got about it, which only comes with products that have been carefully refined over a long period of time by people who understand what they're doing.

Master
    Super watches. Solid bracelet and clasp and a wonderful dial layout make it a popular watch in the line up.

I have one of those (albeit on SC now) and have to say I think they represent excellent value for money in the Rolex line up.

Understated class is the only way to describe them.

Journeyman
    Now that's a proper Rolex doing proper watches properly!

I like the double batons on these 36mm OPs that are absent on the other sizes... but for me a smooth bezel datejust would always offer that extra usability as a daily wearer.

Master
    Love these and have come close more than once. The dial gives off a vintage vibe but the relative thickness and width of the case just looks solid and modern. Prefer these to the 39mm size personally. I felt the Black 39 looked bland relatively speaking.

Ant

Great dial colour- good taste sir

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    I like the double batons on these 36mm OPs that are absent on the other sizes... but for me a smooth bezel datejust would always offer that extra usability as a daily wearer.
    Would you go an extra step and consider a Turn-O-Graph? If I was in the market for a Rolex, I definitely would - I need the date and hence the DJ, but I've always found that a plain bezel doesn't quite do it for me, and the fluted one is a bit too dressy. The Turn-O-Graph is thus perfect because the bezel has a slight toolish slant, and it's also functional.

Journeyman
    I have the Blue dial version, it's the only watch that I want to wear now.

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    Would you go an extra step and consider a Turn-O-Graph? If I was in the market for a Rolex, I definitely would - I need the date and hence the DJ, but I've always found that a plain bezel doesn't quite do it for me, and the fluted one is a bit too dressy. The Turn-O-Graph is thus perfect because the bezel has a slight toolish slant, and it's also functional.
    Apologies to the OP for going off topic.

Turn-o-graphs are a bit of an oddity really. In theory they are great, adding the utility of a timing bezel to the sleek lines of a datejust - but in practice they are less useful than a sub and less good looking than a regular datejust.

The modern versions with the WG bezel are flawed as to operate the bezel you have to touch it and I’ve seen some really quite worn white gold bezels (that aren’t cheap to replace). Most of the older ‘thunderbird’ models have slow set date, which is just annoying. Maybe the elusive 16264 is the short lived sweet spot, or just an ‘engine turned’ bezel - although the 34mm design looks better

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just spotted this thread and its pretty apt for me.

Bought this for the wife over the weekend off SC the green dial is beautiful and for 34mm it wears really well so much so when this 36mm blue dial came up on SC I had to have it. They are everything and more that as been said on this thread

34mm Green

36mm Blue

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Just spotted this thread and its pretty apt for me.

Bought this for the wife over the weekend off SC the green dial is beautiful and for 34mm it wears really well so much so when this 36mm blue dial came up on SC I had to have it. They are everything and more that as been said on this thread

34mm Green

36mm Blue

Paul
    Ah, so you’re the lucky guy who ‘s bought it!

Thought about this one for a few days, decided to go for it, only to find it’s sold.

If you’ve got experience with the 34mm version I can’t see you suffering buyer’s remorse on this one, and the blue dial’s simply superb. Had a 34mm Air King with the same design several years ago, it’s a classic.

Enjoy it.....I’m sure you will.

Paul