closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Emirates - what a disaster

Craftsman

Emirates - what a disaster

Due to fly today from BHX at 14.20. Flight delayed and said a decision would be made shortly whether to fly or not due to technical fault. It got to 16.30 so I wandered up to desk and asked if there is a possibility I could go from LHR and be taken there as I had a Business Class ticket and flying with hand luggage only. I had a connecting flight to Bahrain at 8am do didn’t want to miss that as only going for a few days purposely booked a daytime flight to avoid flying overnight.

Next thing I know they’ve said YES and the chauffer is outside...happy days I thought.

So I’m outside for best part of 40mins thinking “I’m going to miss the 20.40 from LHR if I’m not careful as it’s a good 2hr drive. Talked to the chauffer about how long to leave and he said “still waiting for 3 people, lap of the gods mate”.

I headed to the Emirates desk and a long story short the original flight was only just departed but they couldn’t get me on it. I’m now back in BHX waiting for the ****ing 21.40 flight, have been in the Emirates lounge since 11.30 and am due to land about 5pm tomorrow at destination.

They have ONE login to amend flights so the LHR booking took over 45mins to book and have no direct comms with drivers....useless.

Rant over.

Sorry to hear this. It’s a timely highlight for me as I am due to fly on the same 1420 flight next Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

All airlines are great when things go well. All airlines are dire when things go wrong. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, this applies to the “quality” airlines just as much as it does to the “budget” airlines.

I hope the rest of your journey is uneventful.

Craftsman
    Almost had a similar scenario but it ended up working out for the better in our case.

We were flying with emirates to Mauritius (via Dubai, obviously). The London to Dubai leg was delayed meaning we’d miss the connecting flight. Emirates solution was for us to fly down to South Africa and back up to Mauritius adding many hours of travelling. After a bit of fuss, they agreed that to transfer us on to a direct BA flight ending with us getting there early.

I don’t think Ryanair or EasyJet would have ended quite as well.

Spent three years flying back and forth to Hong Kong every month using Emirates, never had an issue once, surprised at this tbh...

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear your bad experience, I've been flying out to South Africa via Dubai for last 6 months. 12 journeys so far and all been spot on not one issue. Find Emirates great as there business class you get a far better service for me then the likes of BA.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    All airlines are great when things go well. All airlines are dire when things go wrong. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, this applies to the “quality” airlines just as much as it does to the “budget” airlines.

I hope the rest of your journey is uneventful.
    Jinx - I missed the 8.30 connection and have to wait until 16.40 for the next. Joy.

Emirates have been surprisingly useless with all of this. Why is it I can point my phone to the sky and be told via an app the plane / flight info but it takes 45mins for someone to re-book you on one...and don’t get me started in the dot-matrix printers :)

Journeyman
    Booked 3 times with emirates. Never had an issue. But this current trip was awful.

Booked a trip to atlantis. Long story short. They accepted the booking but overbooked and offered me a full money back refund.

Told them to f* off and get the issue sorted. Servers emails and heated phone discussions. They honered the booking and upgraded me by 2 suits.

Would do that all again given the upgrade

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASD25 View Post
    Booked 3 times with emirates. Never had an issue. But this current trip was awful.

Booked a trip to atlantis. Long story short. They accepted the booking but overbooked and offered me a full money back refund.

Told them to f* off and get the issue sorted. Servers emails and heated phone discussions. They honered the booking and upgraded me by 2 suits.

Am I missing something here? All airlines overbook, it’s how they maximise their profits. So you were unfortunately one of those that they were looking to bump, but in the end they give you flight and upgraded two classes and you say it was awful?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Am I missing something here? All airlines overbook, it’s how they maximise their profits. So you were unfortunately one of those that they were looking to bump, but in the end they give you flight and upgraded two classes and you say it was awful?
    Was the overall holiday. The rooms were bumped. Flight class remained as it was.

Craftsman
    I flew home on Ryanair last week and no cheese and ham sandwiches left. Disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    I flew home on Ryanair last week and no cheese and ham sandwiches left. Disgraceful.
    It's a front, they never have them.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by ASD25 View Post

Classy.

Master
    I've only flown Emirates once and found that, at least in cattle class, it's no better than more budget friendly airlines.

Return flight from London to Melbourne, Australia. The flight out went OK, apart from my entertainment system screen being broken. On the way back though, the plane was delayed by a couple of hours, which meant that I missed my connecting flight in DXB: cue several hours of standing in line at the Emirates desk only to be told that there were no other flights until the following morning. Emirates flights, that is, they wouldn't even check with other airlines.

What was even worse was that we only missed our connection by maybe 15 minutes and almost all of us on the delayed plane needed to make that same connection back to Heathrow, so they could easily have justified holding the plane out a tiny bit longer (I wonder if it flew mostly empty), or even put on another flight.

At least they put us in a hotel and didn't have to spend the night in the airport.

On that experience alone, I wouldn't chose Emirates over a budget airline as they are no better when things go wrong.

Master
    I've been flying 2, sometimes 3 times a year with Emirates for the past 15 years. I have to say, in my experience, they are very good, punctual, and the in flight service is better than most.
    I'm sure they aren't without problems but I've had no issues with them.

Could always try these guys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg

Master
    I was very disappointed with Emirates when we flew with them. We were going to Dubai for a couple of nights stop over on the way to a far east tour. Immediately after taking off from Heathrow they announced a passenger was ill and we would be stopping at Munich. We then sat on the ground for 4 or 5 hours, whilst the cabin crew did not even offer any refreshments, not even water. Then we were told that the crew would be out of hours (despite having done NOTHING) and we would have to disembark. After a few more hours delay they took us on a Lufthansa plane to Dubai - and that had no working in flight entertainment.
    After 1 day in Dubai we then went to catch our next connecting flight to KL (and onward from there to Hanoi) to be told that we were being bumped - as were others including a young couple going on to Australia. After the stress this caused after a couple of hours were then told we had seats.

No offer of compensation was made, but when we got back my wife tried to sort it - as a minimum we wanted the cost of the hotel in Dubai refunded plus the transfer that we had paid for there (say £150). After several months, lots of letters and emails, we got an offer of £900 - which I have to say we were very happy with. Other than the shaky start we had a wonderful time in Laos and Cambodia, and also looked around KL and Vietnam.

I cannot say I bother with in-flight entertainment - my iPad loaded with stuff always has a better selection...