closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Decent light and torquey cordless drill / impact driver

Craftsman

Decent light and torquey cordless drill / impact driver

I have a DeWalt drill for heavy duty purposes but have a DIY project (ceiling pelmet with a Starscape false ceiling) coming up soon that involves drilling (400 holes) and screwing (100 screws) into the ceiling which I know the DeWalt is going to be really heavy and cumbersome for.

Can anyone recommend a decent light and torquey cordless drill / impact driver please that's under £80 - a spare battery would be nice too. I am not a brand snob so happy to buy a shop-own model.

I bought a lightweight DeWalt in B&Q a month or so back for exactly that kind of thing. Didn't have a spare battery but the one that came with it lasted well. It was about £80, I can't remember the exact model number and I'm on a different continent now but I reckon it was probably this one.

https://www.diy.com/departments/dewa.../765799_BQ.prd

I bought one of the Titan ones from Screwfix recently, have been really pleased with it for the price point

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Dewalt 18v cordless will do the job.

Master
    I bought a bosch Psr1800 drill with 2, 4 amp hour batteries very small and light but i put a new bathroom in on 1 battey charge very impressed with it as it looks like a kids toy

Craftsman
    https://www.kielder.co Make some excellent tools

Craftsman
    Dewalt 18v from screwfix, easiest warranty ever as if it goes wrong you just take it back and they give you a new one no question

Master
    If you are not a brand snob this is a good deal with 2 batteries :-

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6063838

Or this with a brushless motor but only 1 battery :-

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7179068

Both with 13mm chuck, most around this price only have a 10mm
    Last edited by genesos; 15th September 2018 at 08:27.

What's the argument that would warrant hoisting the extra weight of a 18 or 20v tool above your head over the smaller lighter ones? Doesn't seem like this job really requires huge torque to be honest.

If recommend a 10.8 or 12v impact driver. Not sure which one is best to be honest. Probably won't go far wrong with Makita but might get away with a cheaper one if necessary. Carpenter friends used to swear by Hitachi 14.4v drivers too but still heavier than the little ones.

I like the look of the ones that you can switch between drill and driver in one body. https://www.frankhoward.com/mobile/p...xoCXIcQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by ernestrome; 13th September 2018 at 18:58.

Master
    The Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 probably fits the bill. It is fairly often on offer on Amazon with two 18 V Lithium-Ion Batteries for sub £60. Check CamelCamelCamel for exact prices and when

Small, light, great torque - used mine today and it drives in 100mm screws with ease.

https://www.milwaukeepowertools.co.uk/milwaukee-m12bd-0
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I bought a bosch Psr1800 drill with 2, 4 amp hour batteries very small and light but i put a new bathroom in on 1 battey charge very impressed with it as it looks like a kids toy
    A third vote of confidence for this one.

Drove myself demented reading multiple reviews and this one consistently ranked well for the occasional DIY user, which is all I need it for. On hammer setting it munches nicely through masonry, light & compact enough, batteries last forever (and charge very quick), comfy in hand and the angled light is handy.

True, there’s a tiny bit of runout/chuck wobble, but a look online reveals most hand drills seem to suffer to some extent - in fact, many of the higher-end ‘name’ drills punch well below their price point, with many trading on past glories since manufacturing base changes, it seems.

Blog Entries
    You do not need a hammer drill, or one for building work. You need a good one for second fitting.
    I have used the Makita 10.5v from one of the contractors, and is great and light.

Considering that it comes with two batteries, an impact and drill - this looks an excellent buy to me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B84HB..._2dTMBbG5M5ZW5
    Last edited by Franco; 13th September 2018 at 22:20.

Master
    A while back I bought a Bosch drill and impact driver but it's only 10.8v. I was concerned it wouldn't be enough but to date I haven't come across anything it has struggled with. But mainly it's very light and easy to use. Worth a look I'd say.
    These I think - 10.8 is now 12v but all compatible
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p30...SABEgKVufD_BwE

Craftsman
    Thanks people - some good food for thought there. I think an impact driver is the way to go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    A while back I bought a Bosch drill and impact driver but it's only 10.8v. I was concerned it wouldn't be enough but to date I haven't come across anything it has struggled with. But mainly it's very light and easy to use. Worth a look I'd say.
    These I think - 10.8 is now 12v but all compatible
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p30...SABEgKVufD_BwE
    Another vote for the Makita kit. Very light for overhead work and as much power as you need. Impact drivers are perfect for overhead work as there is no torque reaction when driving screws so you won't get thrown off the stepladder!

Craftsman
    I bought one of these last year from Screwfix for lighter duty stuff, and ended up using it far more than the Makita DHP481Z that I’ve got:

www.goo.gl/CDgWrR

More than enough power for 80% of the things that I needed a cordless for, and it’s extremely lightweight yet very well constructed.

Very slightly more than your £80 budget but it’s occasionally reduced to £60 on special offer. Comes with two batteries which last really well and take less than 50 minutes to fully charge.

Edit - screwfix have a bundle deal where you can get the brushless impact driver for an extra £50, so both tools, two batteries, charger and a case for £135
    Last edited by BaBa; 18th September 2018 at 20:29.

Craftsman
    If you have the money it's definitely a good idea to go brushless for the weight reduction and the battery efficiency much better.

Quote Originally Posted by BaBa View Post
    I bought one of these last year from Screwfix for lighter duty stuff, and ended up using it far more than the Makita DHP481Z that I’ve got:

www.goo.gl/CDgWrR

More than enough power for 80% of the things that I needed a cordless for, and it’s extremely lightweight yet very well constructed.

Very slightly more than your £80 budget but it’s occasionally reduced to £60 on special offer. Comes with two batteries which last really well and take less than 50 minutes to fully charge.

Edit - screwfix have a bundle deal where you can get the brushless impact driver for an extra £50, so both tools, two batteries, charger and a case for £135
    I'm sure it's a great drill. An 18v drill is a great tool, I don't bother with a corded drill any more and use an 18v for everything around the house

However, it weighs 2.3kg with battery compared to 1.15kg for a 12v Bosch drill driver. The little 10-12v drivers are half the weight and have better power to weight ratios than the larger cordless drills.

Which would you prefer lifting and holding above your head 400 times?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I'm sure it's a great drill. An 18v drill is a great tool, I don't bother with a corded drill any more and use an 18v for everything around the house

However, it weighs 2.3kg with battery compared to 1.15kg for a 12v Bosch drill driver. The little 10-12v drivers are half the weight and have better power to weight ratios than the larger cordless drills.

Which would you prefer lifting and holding above your head 400 times?
    Yes, I was surprised to read that in the specs - so I’ve just weighed it on a set of digital scales (accurate to +/-2g).

The true mass is 1318g with battery fitted, so nowhere near the 2.3kg quoted and similar to the 12v Bosch that you refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by BaBa View Post
    Yes, I was surprised to read that in the specs - so I’ve just weighed it on a set of digital scales (accurate to +/-2g).

The true mass is 1318g with battery fitted, so nowhere near the 2.3kg quoted and similar to the 12v Bosch that you refer to.
    I reckon that must be the boxed weight along with charger. The little 18V 1.3AH DeWalt that I mentioned in the first reply is similarly less than 1.5Kg. I used it to open an attic space that I had sealed up eight years ago with rather more screws than necessary and barely noticed the weight (possibly because it was like a bloody sauna up there and I was more concerned with the unbelievable quantity of sweat pouring off me).

Very interesting, maybe that's the boxed weight with both batteries?

Seems like the 12v bosch driver might only weigh ~900g though. Weighing about a third less would make sense.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Very interesting, maybe that's the boxed weight with both batteries?

Seems like the 12v bosch driver might only weigh ~900g though. Weighing about a third less would make sense.
    Boxed weight incl. both batteries, case and charger is just over 3.2kg.

From what I can see, the Bosch 12v models weigh around 950g as a bare tool, so probably nearer that 1.15kg figure with a small battery (though that is based on online specs and not actually having weighed one - and online specs aren’t necessarily accurate as has been proven!).

I can say from experience though that this 1.3kg tool is easily lighweight enough to work overhead all day, without any more noticeable fatigue than having one’s arm above one’s head without additional load would cause. I wouldn’t consider using my 2.5kg+ Makita for the same purpose.

Stanley Fatmax 18v with spare battery, built in torch & hammer action.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app