closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waltham RN Issue non-luminous pocket watch

Waltham RN Issue non-luminous pocket watch

https://www.anchorsupplies.com/watch...ket-watch.html

Surely this must be Royal Navy Nuclear Submarine Fleet issue … not 'possibly' as per Anchor Supplies description?

And would be 'non-luminous' "Not to disturb radioactivity sensors, the watches should not radiate any lumination" (Konrad Knirim, p.646) … and nothing to do with covert ops as per Anchor's description.

Tempted to buy myself but have other £spends in mind … So maybe one for a TZ military watch enthusiast?

After much thought could not resist … so ordered it … will be an interesting addition to my military collection.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 12th September 2018 at 13:19.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I guess its difficult to say must unless there is a record of where it it was used.

It looks to be a WW2 era pocket watch that has been reissued prior to the standardisation of NSNs; so would it have had a radium /tritium dial when made and then had been redialed by the MOD?

The reason for removing the lume was to prevent spurious Geiger readings on nuclear subs, (0552=Navy) why would someone on covert ops take a big pocket watch with them?
    1. its totally impractical
    2. it would be in someones pocket / day sack so the lume would not be seen anyway

It is a handsome watch that looks to be in very good condition but I think the price is a bit toppy.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 12th September 2018 at 13:07. Reason: added info

From the link..."This pocket watch which appears at the top of page 647 in Konrad Knirm's excellent book on British Military Timepieces." There may be some more info there.

Konrad Knirim shows exact same model SN 15262 on p.647 British Military Timepieces 'Other Nuclear Submarine watches non-luminous'

dunk

There's a thread on the Military Watch Forum...link...but many of the pictures are not showing. However, there is another example of your, soon to be, new acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    There's a thread on the Military Watch Forum...link...but many of the pictures are not showing. However, there is another example of your, soon to be, new acquisition.
    Thank you. The MWR thread shows the exact same Waltham watch illustrated in KK's British Military Timepieces.

dunk

Today, Anchor Supplies is listing a CWC pocket watch but their description is a variation on that used yesterday for the Waltham and likely incorrect in its 'covert or secret operations' assumption

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post

Surely this must be Royal Navy Nuclear Submarine Fleet issue … not 'possibly' as per Anchor Supplies description?

And would be 'non-luminous' "Not to disturb radioactivity sensors, the watches should not radiate any lumination" (Konrad Knirim, p.646) … and nothing to do with covert ops as per Anchor's description.

Tempted to buy myself but have other £spends in mind … So maybe one for a TZ military watch enthusiast?

After much thought could not resist … so ordered it … will be an interesting addition to my military collection.

dunk
    I returned the Waltham RN Pocket Watch to Anchor Supplies because I was not happy with the 'far too stiff' crown action … I could not reset the hands and did not want to risk damage by pulling the crown too hard. Anchor subsequently advised that "… the crown requires 'a firm pull' to reset the hands … and that's how they were deliberately made ..." I disagree, the crown action s/b much smoother. Furthermore their descriptions regarding 'covert or secret operations' sounds a bit 'far fetched' … but I was aware of the rather odd description before purchase. Pleased to have eventually received a full refund. The watch has been relisted. The CWC pocket watch also listed has a similar rather optimistic 'covert operations' description.

https://www.anchorsupplies.com/watches/military.html

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 3rd October 2018 at 09:57.