closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help/advice needed from a Londoner

Craftsman

Help/advice needed from a Londoner

We are travelling to France later this week in our Motorhome and on the way down to Folkestone I could do to “nip into London”.

Could anyone suggest somewhere that I could park a 20ft Motorhome on the outskirts near a tube / rail station for a few hours while I go into London?

I don’t think the station car parks I’ve seen could accommodate me and was thinking maybe an industrial park or out of town large shopping centre with free parking may work.

Cheers

You will find something on the north circular,there’s loads of shopping centres and industrial estates,sorry can’t be more specific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    One of the open air car parks at Brent Cross Shopping Centre might work. Free parking. It’s right by the junction of M1 (which I assume you would be taking into London) and North Circular. About 10-15 min walk to a couple of tube stations on the Northern Line. Then on your return take A406, A13, M25 and M20 to Folkestone.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    One of the open air car parks at Brent Cross Shopping Centre might work. Free parking. It’s right by the junction of M1 (which I assume you would be taking into London) and North Circular. About 10-15 min walk to a couple of tube stations on the Northern Line. Then on your return take A406, A13, M25 and M20 to Folkestone.
    Bang on. This is the answer.

Craftsman
    I’d suggest either the small village of West Horndon, Essex or Lakeside shopping centre. Both near to the Dartford crossing and have good train links to Fenchurch/Liverpool street.

Last edited by Motman; 18th September 2018 at 07:34.

The caravan park in Crystal Palace? Then overground into London Bridge or Victoria.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What day are you thinking?

Lakeside shopping centre in Essex. A couple of minutes from J30/31 of the M25, has open air car parks and Chafford Hundred mainline station is 30 minutes into London Fenchurch St then a short walk to the tube station. Or get off at West Ham and change for the tube. I assume you will be going M1 (or A1) >> M25 >> M20 to Folkestone so the above will keep you on the main road.
    Last edited by rgee; 18th September 2018 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Lakeside shopping centre in Essex. A couple of minutes from J30/31 of the M25, has open air car parks and Chafford Hundred mainline station is 30 minutes into London Fenchurch St then a short walk to the tube station. Or get off at West Ham and change for the tube. I assume you will be going M1 (or A1) >> M25 >> M20 to Folkestone so the above keep you on the main road.
    This was my thought too

I live in London and personally I think you'd be mad to try and park that anywhere and then battle on the tubes/train to actually get in to London.

What are you hoping to do there?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I live in London and personally I think you'd be mad to try and park that anywhere and then battle on the tubes/train to actually get in to London.

What I was thinking. Not easy just to 'nip into London', sounds like a stressful start to a holiday.

From Lakeside (as suggested) need to take mainline then probably tube to wherever. Will take more than a couple of hours!

You may find that large motor homes aren't allowed in a lot of shopping centre car parks, and a lot also have a time limit of 2-4 hours and this is strictly enforced. .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Not a leisure activity that’s for sure, like I said I need to make a call in Central London so thought I may kill 2 birds with one stone as I’m passing the place. I’ll only be in the city an hour or so. Quite often use trains in and around London in the course of my work and don’t find them a battle generally.

Thanks for the all the replies there are some good suggestions for me. I had thought of parking near Lakeside and going in from there.

Neil

Master
    Could you not do your ‘shopping’ in Lakeside?
    Or you could even go to Bluewater, which has ample open parking and much nicer shops.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    What day are you thinking?
    Friday this week, probably not the best I know.

I think you’ll find that both Bluewater and Lakeside have height restrictions on their car parks.

I’d look at parking in South Mimms service area and Uber to High Barnet to get the Northen line.

just Checked online, 2 hours free then £15 for 2-24 hrs. But that’s cars HGV is £ 21-31.

Are you alone? What about if partner drops you at High Barnet then heads to South Mimms (6 miles) then circles back. It’s an easy drive all good clear roads.
    Last edited by justin44; 19th September 2018 at 07:22.

Craftsman
    Another option might be to park up somewhere residential for free within a 10-15 minute walk of Upminster station or use www.parkonmydrive.com to find a paid parking space and you can get the C2C mainline to Fenchurch Street (28 mins). The tube into London is less than a 5 minute walk from Fenchurch St. Upminster is only around 15 mins from the Dartford crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post

Are you alone? What about if partner drops you at High Barnet then heads to South Mimms (6 miles) then circles back. It’s an easy drive all good clear roads.
    On a Friday? Rather the OP than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Another option might be to park up somewhere residential for free within a 10-15 minute walk of Upminster station or use www.parkonmydrive.com to find a paid parking space and you can get the C2C mainline to Fenchurch Street (28 mins). The tube into London is less than a 5 minute walk from Fenchurch St. Upminster is only around 15 mins from the Dartford crossing.
    This. Just find a convenient spot with free parking. It’s free in my street in SE19 and you are half hour away to either Victoria, or London Bridge on the train. No idea how that works for the driving journey as I don’t own a car!

if you want to drive into Central London-ish (outside Congestion charge zone). I live in Zone 2 SE london and there is free parking along the surrounding residential streets. probably a 15min walk to Canada Water Tube station (Jubilee Line).

Driving on Friday in my area is ok outside of peak hours (7-10am) and (4 -7pm).

There's pretty decent links down to the A2 as well which goes straight to Dover.

PM if you want more info on my location.

Master
    You’ll be able to park it in the Enfield council depot on crown road. Don’t know if it’s any use to you, size wise don’t worry that’s where I put an artic for the night if I need to. 02084430602 is the phone number to ask for costs and book in. Secure and plenty space.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    If you do decide on this, pm me and I’ll tell you where to park for free within a ten minute walk of the station.