closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car chat / sales advice

Craftsman

Car chat / sales advice

Afternoon all,

My current lease runs out end of Feb and I want to buy my next car. Due to how little I drive, I find that leasing isn’t proving me with much value. Im in the market for a golf gti, as it’s fun and seems to have good residuals. I reckon March 19 could be the last run of the current mark and so I’m hoping to catch a deal on the run up to new ref plates. Do you think this is likely? Right now a dsg is about 31 new (before incentives of 2k ish and pre ref about 26/27. Do you think I’m kidding myself thinking I could bag a new or pre ref for 23 ish if I hold out? 2 yr olds come in at approx 20k so it seems there is quite an incentive to drive down the price of new as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I had an email from Drive the Deal yesterday offering 17.5% off a 245 GTI Performance 5door DSG. The price they listed was £26,310 after discount.
    I am not up to date with the current Golf range so I don't know if the Performance is a separate range or they just added it in the title!
    I don't know if other incentives are there for taking out VW finance or this price included them.
    Check out their website for full info and conditions.
    Not sure if this answered your question, but at the moment I would say the price you are after is not achievable unless you got lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by RBear1981 View Post
    Afternoon all,

My current lease runs out end of Feb and I want to buy my next car. Due to how little I drive, I find that leasing isn’t proving me with much value. Im in the market for a golf gti, as it’s fun and seems to have good residuals. I reckon March 19 could be the last run of the current mark and so I’m hoping to catch a deal on the run up to new ref plates. Do you think this is likely? Right now a dsg is about 31 new (before incentives of 2k ish and pre ref about 26/27. Do you think I’m kidding myself thinking I could bag a new or pre ref for 23 ish if I hold out? 2 yr olds come in at approx 20k so it seems there is quite an incentive to drive down the price of new as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Car chat / sales advice

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I had an email from Drive the Deal yesterday offering 17.5% off a 245 GTI Performance 5door DSG. The price they listed was £26,310 after discount.
    I am not up to date with the current Golf range so I don't know if the Performance is a separate range or they just added it in the title!
    I don't know if other incentives are there for taking out VW finance or this price included them.
    Check out their website for full info and conditions.
    Not sure if this answered your question, but at the moment I would say the price you are after is not achievable unless you got lucky!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply. The offer you’ve recd is prob consistent with the best on Carwow etc. Gti performance is now what they are calling the base gti with added performance pack. It gives better brakes, ltd slip diff and a bit more horsepower and costs circa 1k more. Having spoken to a couple of the test drivers at Vw they are nice but not essential extras however due to the rarity of uptake it pushes up the residual quite considerably. With that in mind I’d aim for a performance model if the price was right. I guess what I’m really looking to see is if they’ll discount much further on the run up to registration in March and more so than usual given that mk8 is expected later in the year.

Last edited by RBear1981; 12th September 2018 at 13:15.

I’d definitely consider an ex demo. Should get 10-15% off for those

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can't advise on the financial stuff, but I've had a GTI for about 18 months and it's been utterly brilliant and so much better than the M135i I had before it.

I tried the performance pack and normal and didn't really see any difference in road so I'd look to get it thrown in free on a new car.

performance pack gets you red decals, calipers, electronic LSD and a slight power increase from memory.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I’d definitely consider an ex demo. Should get 10-15% off for those
    Hi Rusty. Can quite easily achieve 10% off new at the moment and 15% plus for pre reg. I’m greedily looking for up to 25%

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Can't advise on the financial stuff, but I've had a GTI for about 18 months and it's been utterly brilliant and so much better than the M135i I had before it.

I tried the performance pack and normal and didn't really see any difference in road so I'd look to get it thrown in free on a new car.
    Thanks for the advice

Hi Rusty. Can quite easily achieve 10% off new at the moment and 15% plus for pre reg. I’m greedily looking for up to 25%

I meant an additional % cos ex demo. 20 might be achievable

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I meant an additional % cos ex demo. 20 might be achievable
    Wow. That would be nice. Any contacts or idea where to source? The one I drove was brand new and all taped up to be sold as such.

Craftsman

Did you select any extras mate?

Master
    Blog Entries
    No I had a 100% stick car but it comes with everything I wanted.

Folding mirrors
    Adaptive cruise
    Manual :)
    Heated seats
    DAB
    Navigation

Even the standard audio is as good as the Hartman Kardon in the BMW.

Love it, though considering a change soon for other reasons I want a Z4M coupe.

Craftsman
    No I had a 100% stick car but it comes with everything I wanted.

Folding mirrors
    Adaptive cruise
    Manual :)
    Heated seats
    DAB
    Navigation

Even the standard audio is as good as the Hartman Kardon in the BMW.

Love it, though considering a change soon for other reasons I want a Z4M coupe.
    Lovely. What do you think of the virtual cockpit? Lots of nice extras but all shoot the price up far too much ti be worthwhile from new.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great on the test drive, honestly a bit of a gimmick and hard to see when the sun is behind you

Master
    Wow. That would be nice. Any contacts or idea where to source? The one I drove was brand new and all taped up to be sold as such.

There is no chance of getting an extra 20% on top of a drivethedeal discount
    Won't happen ex-dem or not.
    There will be decent discounts this month as it is end of quarter so sales targets need hit but there isn't fire sales on these sort of cars.

Craftsman
    Great on the test drive, honestly a bit of a gimmick and hard to see when the sun is behind you
    So you deselected? They come as standard now. Might not have been the case 18m back

Master
    Looking at Pistonheads you'll be lucky if you can get one at all never mind a discount. Was just reading a thread in the car buying section where someone had been trying to track down a dealer that could deliver a car for almost 2 weeks now. VWGs supply chain is rubbish and is being further compounded by the new emissions rules.

Craftsman

Car chat / sales advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    There is no chance of getting an extra 20% on top of a drivethedeal discount
    Won't happen ex-dem or not.
    There will be decent discounts this month as it is end of quarter so sales targets need hit but there isn't fire sales on these sort of cars.
    Thanks for your input Jim. With this in mind I’ll keep my eyes out end of December. I also hear that Jan can be a slow month for sales. Reality is that although there will be plenty of golfs for the chop only about 2% of them will be gti.

Master
    Thanks for your input Jim. With this in mind I’ll keep my eyes out end of December. I also hear that Jan can be a slow month for sales. Reality is that although there will be plenty of golfs for the chop only about 2% of them will be gti.

If they have oversupply of these towards the end of their run or if they are not shifting you will start to see them appearing on cheap lease deals.
    Phoning around in the middle of a last quarter month where they are looking to hit targets has always served me well if buying new. Would need to be a stock car at that point obviously.

Craftsman

Car chat / sales advice

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Looking at Pistonheads you'll be lucky if you can get one at all never mind a discount. Was just reading a thread in the car buying section where someone had been trying to track down a dealer that could deliver a car for almost 2 weeks now. VWGs supply chain is rubbish and is being further compounded by the new emissions rules.
    I have heard a bit of that. Apparently their plant is shut for ten weeks or so the dealer told me. Also heard them saying that they have stock problems at the moment. However I don’t believe any of this is material, certainly not when looking to buy in Feb/March. They had a fair few pre reg manual gtis on the computer for around 25 that we’re good to go, so I wonder what spec he was after. Maybe more of a problem if looking to factory order.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If they have oversupply of these towards the end of their run or if they are not shifting you will start to see them appearing on cheap lease deals.
    Phoning around in the middle of a last quarter month where they are looking to hit targets has always served me well if buying new. Would need to be a stock car at that point obviously.

Carwow have a list of lead times (supposedly updated regularly) and it's currently quoting 10-14 weeks plus an additional 4 weeks if you want performance pack. Factory is currently only running a 3 day week to try and get on top of the emissions situation so this may not be accurate at all.

We looked (briefly) at a VW before we swapped this time round and the sales guy said expect to wait at least 6 months for a new factory order.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Carwow have a list of lead times (supposedly updated regularly) and it's currently quoting 10-14 weeks plus an additional 4 weeks if you want performance pack. Factory is currently only running a 3 day week to try and get on top of the emissions situation so this may not be accurate at all.

We looked (briefly) at a VW before we swapped this time round and the sales guy said expect to wait at least 6 months for a new factory order.
    Interesting - thanks for info Chris

Craftsman
    Interesting - thanks for info Chris

Seems like there is some truth in the shortages. Spoke to a local dealer there and he said that Vw aren’t actually taking orders for the base 230bhp model at the moment due to lack of supply. You’d think someone might have mentioned that at the other place last night. Oh well

Craftsman
    Production issues may be Group wide for VW companies.

Porsche hasn't produced any new cars for EU market for months due to gearing up for new emissions standard. All recent production has been for export to outside of EU.

OP, if you're planning on purchasing in March 19, post-Brexit, I wonder what the lack of a trading agreement will do to prices. To say nothing of adverse currency movement.

Master
    Seems like there is some truth in the shortages. Spoke to a local dealer there and he said that Vw aren’t actually taking orders for the base 230bhp model at the moment due to lack of supply. You’d think someone might have mentioned that at the other place last night. Oh well

The guys on the floor in dealerships don't have a clue what the man behind the curtain is up to. I bet it was Arnold Clark as well as I see you are same location as me (Arnie owns everything up here).

If you aren't fussed about spec then you could probably pick up a pre-reg car as they'll have some in the network. You can forget about a factory order and don't expect them to be falling over themselves to shift stock GTIs as supply is so poor from the factory that they know they'll shift them. You would need a dealer absolutely desperate to meet their target for you to get the price you want.

As an aside. I waited 6 months on a Golf R being built and delivered despite the original lead time being 3 months. The factory has got worse since then I believe. Current car is a Cupra which took 3 months. Who would have thought the Spanish were more efficient than the Germans.

Craftsman

Car chat / sales advice

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    The guys on the floor in dealerships don't have a clue what the man behind the curtain is up to. I bet it was Arnold Clark as well as I see you are same location as me (Arnie owns everything up here).

If you aren't fussed about spec then you could probably pick up a pre-reg car as they'll have some in the network. You can forget about a factory order and don't expect them to be falling over themselves to shift stock GTIs as supply is so poor from the factory that they know they'll shift them. You would need a dealer absolutely desperate to meet their target for you to get the price you want.

As an aside. I waited 6 months on a Golf R being built and delivered despite the original lead time being 3 months. The factory has got worse since then I believe. Current car is a Cupra which took 3 months. Who would have thought the Spanish were more efficient than the Germans.
    Thanks for your input. You’re right re first point. They were wrong on a number of points and I just couldn’t be bothered arguing over it. The woman swore blind that it was not just the perf model currently available even when I told her to go on to their own website to have a look. I’ve not ruled out pre reg but as I don’t need it til early next yr I’d have to wait and see and it sounds like getting a spec I want could be difficult. Maybe I misunderstand the whole pre reg thing but it confuses me when they talk about stock problems, waiting list for new etc but then have a database full of pre reg. it seems anyway that based on best offers on carwow that there’s v little diff in price between pre reg and new.

Thanks for your input. You’re right re first point. They were wrong on a number of points and I just couldn’t be bothered arguing over it. The woman swore blind that it was not just the perf model currently available even when I told her to go on to their own website to have a look. I’ve not ruled out pre reg but as I don’t need it til early next yr I’d have to wait and see and it sounds like getting a spec I want could be difficult. Maybe I misunderstand the whole pre reg thing but it confuses me when they talk about stock problems, waiting list for new etc but then have a database full of pre reg. it seems anyway that based on best offers on carwow that there’s v little diff in price between pre reg and new.

Ah...good old WLTP, four letters that brings fear to even the most battle hardened retailer.

OP

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral View Post
    Ah...good old WLTP, four letters that brings fear to even the most battle hardened retailer.

OP

OP - as you have now discovered, the GTi 230PS is no more. The next time you will see a non GTi 245PS (aka Performance Pack) will likely be in Golf Mk8.

There are unsold 230PS (and 245PS) cars in the network. These will be models built prior to June and have been derogated out of the 1st September WLTP deadline (derogated as in allowed past the requirement to register). Each manufacturer had a percentage of stock that could be derogated.

Those that fell outside HAD to be registered by 31st August. It's these cars that you might now see as 'pre-reg'.

The next batch of MY19 245PS will likely be with us first week December. Cars will be built prior to that date, but won't be released until all the relevant WLTP data has been produced and published...hence why there is a stock shortage. The only stock is the finite stock that derogated.

Craftsman

Car chat / sales advice

Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral View Post

OP

- - - Updated - - -

OP - as you have now discovered, the GTi 230PS is no more. The next time you will see a non GTi 245PS (aka Performance Pack) will likely be in Golf Mk8.

There are unsold 230PS (and 245PS) cars in the network. These will be models built prior to June and have been derogated out of the 1st September WLTP deadline (derogated as in allowed past the requirement to register). Each manufacturer had a percentage of stock that could be derogated.

Those that fell outside HAD to be registered by 31st August. It's these cars that you might now see as 'pre-reg'.

The next batch of MY19 245PS will likely be with us first week December. Cars will be built prior to that date, but won't be released until all the relevant WLTP data has been produced and published...hence why there is a stock shortage. The only stock is the finite stock that derogated.
    Thanks mate, that’s all really helpful and explains a lot.

Makes you think though, how come the biggest fecking Vw dealer in Scotland doesn’t know that? And how come many dealers are still quoting for new cars to spec on Carwow?

Anyway, I do half feel like going back in to the shop to tell that fanny of a woman that she is as such. But I shan’t.

Last edited by RBear1981; 14th September 2018 at 00:12.

Craftsman
    Test drove a 6 month old gti performance today. So much fun. Can’t believe how diff it feels to my current Audi. Weight of the steering is just perfect. Validated my hesitation regarding pre owned tho. 15k miles on the clock and you could tell it had been absolutely thrashed!

Test drove a 6 month old gti performance today. So much fun. Can’t believe how diff it feels to my current Audi. Weight of the steering is just perfect. Validated my hesitation regarding pre owned tho. 15k miles on the clock and you could tell it had been absolutely thrashed!
    How could you tell? (seriously).

Craftsman

Car chat / sales advice

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    How could you tell? (seriously).
    They’d just bought it from auction so I saw it before it had been tarted up. In the words of the young sales assistant, the wheels were ‘completely fucked’ and the cabin was also a total mess. Buttons missing etc. My assessment was that it was bought / leased purely to have a good go at before moving it on

They’d just bought it from auction so I saw it before it had been tarted up. In the words of the young sales assistant, the wheels were ‘completely fucked’ and the cabin was also a total mess. Buttons missing etc. My assessment was that it was bought / leased purely to have a good go at before moving it on
    Say no more!

One to avoid - not so savvy sales assistant methinks.

Car chat / sales advice

Deleted
    Last edited by Andyp1973; 16th September 2018 at 20:12.

Master

At least they were honest!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk