closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines 'GMT' in stainless steel 1935

Longines 'GMT' in stainless steel 1935

I was watching the WatchAdvisor review of the new Longines Zulu Time (and what a fine watch it is, especially the green bezel one) when at 2.25 mins it flashed a card of Longines' previous pilot Zulu Time (GMT) watches. The 5th one along caught my eye. It is clearly the 1935 pilot case (PRS-9) but with an internal bezel and an additional crown at 12.

LONGINES Spirit Zulu Time (2.25 mins)
    https://youtu.be/QO2m1jMNasc

So I went looking...

Longines 'GMT' in stainless steel

"This piece, bearing the serial number 5,305,018, identifies as a wristwatch in stainless steel, containing a manually wound mechanical movement, calibre 12.68z, which was presented to Mr. Pfister, a past technical director of Longines in the mid 1930s. Mr. Alfred Pfister, was appointed technical director of Longines in 1906, overseeing the modernisation of the firm’s manufacturing process. According to records, Pfister was obsessed with scientifically organised work processes, which were intended to push calibre production to new heights of efficiency. This piece was produced in 1935 and thanks to the second crown at the top of the case, allowed for the adjustment of the outer dial to enable tracking of a second time-zone. As a pre-jet age watch, this was certainly a complication ahead of its time."

Perspectives: Four Longines You've Never Heard Of (the 3rd one down)
    https://www.acollectedman.com/blogs/...never-heard-of

I don't particularly like the crown at 12 but the dial and hands are interesting for the period and the way 10 o'clock is marked on the 2nd timezone bezel is noteworthy, it is like a Greek Φ.

John

I thought you might want to see that 1925 better.

Apprentice
    Those are VERY cool! I dig the 10 o’clock numerals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    This reminds me very much of the Czech Air Force watch.

Yes, with different bezel, dial, hands and movement but well.... apart from that. ;-)

Interesting-looking watch though and I too like those numerals.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 31st March 2022 at 10:48.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This reminds me very much of the Czech Air Force watch.

Yes, with different bezel, dial, hands and movement but well.... apart from that. ;-)

Interesting-looking watch though and too like those numerals.
    Yes it is. That's the PRS-9 reference. Sorry it was probably a bit cryptic. The movement must have been the same as whatever Longines was using at the time this was made. If the date is correct, then it must have been the 15.94.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Yes it is. That's the PRS-9 reference. Sorry it was probably a bit cryptic. The movement must have been the same as whatever Longines was using at the time this was made. If the date is correct, then it must have been the 15.94.
    Sorry, I must admit that I didn't fully read your text. I didn't notice your mention of the PRS-9 until I re-read it now. :-(

And I just realised/remembered that the PRS-9 CAF did have a seconds subdial so yes it's just the bezel, dial and hands that are different. Apologies for not properly reading what you wrote.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 31st March 2022 at 10:49.