closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titanium Watches

Craftsman
    Did you use a fibreglass pen .. i found that to be really effective on titanium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the steinhart Ti 500 a nice wear but a little lacking in depth. The dial seems a little flat IMO.

I like Ti overall as i have a skinny wrist and i think it allows me to wear bigger watches as they dont feel so heavy for me.

got a few Ti watches:
    Seiko pertual calendar 90s quartz
    Steinhart 500
    Sinn 90s small diver
    and a Casio oceanus:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ve been looking for a new Watch under 80g so will have a look at a few of these

I love 'em.

I currently have at least 7 (possibly more) titanium watches and would have to think hard before buying another SS watch.

Light, durable and they feel so much nicer than SS.

That's All Folks

I'm a fan also -

Professional Diver 1300m Titanium 80’s rare

Available Turim, Italy!!

^^^^^^^^

That was quick!

Well done Eddie

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I'm a fan also -

That's lovely. Please could you tell me the reference?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    I have a few Ti watches, one reason I like them is Ti is hypoallergenic, I'm a big fan of the SR71 too ;-)

Funny thing about the SR71, the US didn't have enough Ti to make them, so........

“Titanium was in short supply in the United States, so the Skunk Works team was forced to look elsewhere for the metal. Much of the needed material came from the Soviet Union. Colonel Rich Graham, SR-71 pilot, described the acquisition process:

The airplane is 92% titanium inside and out. Back when they were building the airplane the United States didn't have the ore supplies – an ore called rutile ore. It's a very sandy soil and it's only found in very few parts of the world. The major supplier of the ore was the USSR. Working through Third World countries and bogus operations, they were able to get the rutile ore shipped to the United States to build the SR-71.[36]”

So basically the CIA used fake companies to buy the raw materials from Russia to build the SR71 spy plane.......... to spy on Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    That's lovely. Please could you tell me the reference?

Sure. It's the long discontinued 2294.52 (non Americas Cup).

Titanium and 18K gold.

Stock image above as I haven't had the chance to get the camera out for this one.

Craftsman
    Sure. It's the long discontinued 2294.52 (non Americas Cup).

Titanium and 18K gold.
    Thanks. I think that is going to be the next target.

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Thanks. I think that is going to be the next target.

Good luck. They don't come up for sale too often.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 25th September 2018 at 17:41.

Craftsman
    Good luck. They don't come up for sale to often.
    Cheers. After a quick look, all I can find are steel ones so it definitely looks like a more detailed search. Ah well

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I'd highly recommend that you try one on first.

I was very close to buying the pelagos LHD, but after trying one on I realised that titanium is not for me.

Maybe I'm alone when I say this, but the lack of weight made it feel cheap.

*Que everyone telling me I'm crazy haha
    The opposite for me, I now tire of watches weighing upwards of 180 gram and have the pelagos which even in titanium feels pretty heavy. Being light in no way makes a watch feel cheap not in my mind, in fact looking at some watches now a days especially the micro brands I notice how thick and bulky the bracelet and head look, to me that is a sign of cheapness, no finesse and I dread to think how heavy the combo of watch and bracelet must be when worn. We are all different I guess.

I have a couple of titanium watches and always enjoy wearing them.

The grade of Titanium used in watches, is generally Ti that is around 99% pure Titanium, explains why it is easier to scratch, but scratches can mostly be removed with an ink eraser.

To me it's not about the Titanium's look (and it does look cool) nor the scratches but more about the weight. Sometimes I like to really feel that a watch is on my wrist and at other times I don't.

Just an added note I found: "The reason behind titanium corrosion resistant feature is because it has a natural ability to form a thin oxide film on itself when it comes into contact with any forms of oxygen; be it liquid or gas. Even if the film is damaged, as long as the metal is in the presence of oxygen, the metal would heal itself. This characteristic of titanium makes it at least 20 times more corrosion resistant than copper-nickel alloys when exposed to high velocity process streams and even rapidly flowing seawater. The thickness of the oxide film can be increased through chemical processes and this causes the metal to change its appearance over a spectrum of colours."

It's all the fault of the Tissot T660.

I bought one in about '96. Before that I would buy £20 Seiko / Casio specials and it would take me an average of 3 months to destroy them. I was an active guy, lot's of outdoor sports.
    Anyway, the T660 was my first 'serious' watch at about £300 new.

It is still the most comfortable and practical watch I have ever owned. It took everything I could throw at it for 12 years, paragliding, white water kayaking, caving, hill walking etc. And after all that abuse, the crystal never scratched and it still looked passable with a suit.

Then one day, I accidentally knocked it into the waste paper basket just before I went to sleep. I thoguht, "Meh, get that in the morning." But I didn't my wife was up before me and emptied the bin.

It took a further 3 years of searching on ebay to find a replacement T660. In the mean time I acquired a taste for vintage watches and the first four or five of my collection.

I haven't stopped collecting, but I have lost the replacement T660. This time I have no idea how, they're getting harder to find too. There's a minger on ebay at the moment, but it's the first one for ages. We bides our time and waits for you preciousss.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    It's all the fault of the Tissot T660.

I bought one in about '96. Before that I would buy £20 Seiko / Casio specials and it would take me an average of 3 months to destroy them. I was an active guy, lot's of outdoor sports.
    Anyway, the T660 was my first 'serious' watch at about £300 new.

It is still the most comfortable and practical watch I have ever owned. It took everything I could throw at it for 12 years, paragliding, white water kayaking, caving, hill walking etc. And after all that abuse, the crystal never scratched and it still looked passable with a suit.

Then one day, I accidentally knocked it into the waste paper basket just before I went to sleep. I thoguht, "Meh, get that in the morning." But I didn't my wife was up before me and emptied the bin.

It took a further 3 years of searching on ebay to find a replacement T660. In the mean time I acquired a taste for vintage watches and the first four or five of my collection.

I haven't stopped collecting, but I have lost the replacement T660. This time I have no idea how, they're getting harder to find too. There's a minger on ebay at the moment, but it's the first one for ages. We bides our time and waits for you preciousss.

Was it a Ti watch?

GS titanium alloy is just brilliant. I have almost put deposit on the SBGC231.

Journeyman
    Another Ti fan - lighter, more discreet and ‘feels’ warmer than steel. What’s not to love :) I’ve got a PAM 177 that’s been a pretty daily wear for a while now and it still looks good. Scratches schmatches - it’s all about the wabi!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My titanium GS scratched much less than any steel watch I’ve ever worn.

Master
    I had an iw aquatimer. A nice piece and a fantastic bracelet.

pic stolen from web.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I tried on a 41mm defy in titanium on the bracelet yesterday.

Stunning fit and finish and so light! Only thing is I quite like the weight.

Bought this of the forum and extremely happy.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Master
    Well, as a recent owner of an Omega Ti-watch, what would be the recommended moves for polishing it?

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Well, as a recent owner of an Omega Ti-watch, what would be the recommended moves for polishing it?
    Errr, don't. why would you want to?

- - - Updated - - -

Errr, don't. why would you want to?
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Was it a Ti watch?
    Yes. Otherwise my post would have been really random! The T in T660 denotes Ti.

Polishing it is really difficult. Ti oxidises faster than you can polish, so it's almost impossible. Apparently it can be done in a vacuum, or in an oil bath but it's not easy. If your watch has shiny Ti parts, any attempt to polish them will simply turn them a dull grey.

Master
    if brush Ti, really easy to sort out with a refinishing pad, did it many times on a Ti PO as I seemed to catch the clasp on everything

Love Ti. I’m going to get myself a Ti Zeno soon I’ve just got to choose which .... not easy as I like a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    if brush Ti, really easy to sort out with a refinishing pad, did it many times on a Ti PO as I seemed to catch the clasp on everything
    Not to comment on your particular finishing skills... However I've yet to see a home attacked Ti watch that looks anything like factory fresh once someone's had a half arsed go at it. In fact many Ti watches are seriously messed up. There are plenty advertised on the second hand market as like new/nearly new/hardly worn that are in fact just badly refinished. Of course it can be done well, I've done a few myself, but returning it to factory fresh requires more than enthusiasm.
    Gray

I've only had two and I've enjoyed them both.

The Seiko Shogun which for a large diver is very light on the wrist and well protected by the diashield.

And also the smaller but equally robust Ray Mears 2. On the tropic strap this does "disappear" on the wrist.

Last edited by dkpw; 4th May 2019 at 00:09.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    I tried a titanium royal oak once (just for fun at an event, defo not in my price bracket) and it felt incredible. Something about a super light watch surprised me as I didn't think I'd be too fussed about saving a few grams on the wrist before

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk