closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Watches

Titanium Watches

Any owners out there? Just wondering how it compares to SS? Been having a gander at the Steinhart Ocean 500, titanium. Lighter in weight, darker in colour, scratches easier than SS seems to be the consensus?

Really like the watch and might look at getting it in the new year - if it was SS I wouldn't be hesitating at all it's just titanium is uncharted territory for me so after some feedback!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Its certainly lighter to wear than SS and although easier to scratch than SS, thats presumptive that the Steinhart is using grade 2 Titanium like the Tudor.
    But its easier to polish out small marks and because of the density less likely to dent than SS.. temperature is far more stable and it wears cooler and is less irritating.
    Seiko use diashield on their standard titanium watches and that is tougher than SS.. Citizen even tougher... and Grand Seiko use bright titanium which is in a different league.. i believe Omega uses a similar grade to GS..
    Hope this helps

You summed it up very well - if you accept the slightly easier to scratch bit then you'll be happy.
    Ti also warms to body temp very quickly so it feels very natural to wear.

I had one, liked it, but sold it. No issues in my ownership but the buyer had some problems with the bezel although I don't know if that was anything to do with the material.

Yes, it marks more easily, but it also wears the marks better than steel somehow and refinishing a brushed titanium finish is a relatively easy affair. A polished surface might be a different ballgame but the Steinhart doesn't have those anyway so a moot point with this watch.

I'm wearing my X33 right now, it's really comfortable - light to wear and looks good too. My first titanium watch and I'll consider more in the future.
    "A man of little significance"

I've a GS in titanium and a titanium Seiko Samurai. Both absolute delights to wear compared to my steel Sub which feels clunky in comparison.
    Some don't like the lack of weight given so many associate a bit of heft in a small object with quality, which I can understand. But the quality is evident in both the GS and Seiko for me.

Neither have been put to 'hard use' though, so I've no idea on how they show wear in comparison to SS (or rather SS as used by the same manufacturer in a similar market segment).

I've no experience with Steinharts, but I think you're likely to be pleasantly surprised with the heft (or lack thereof) on the wrist for such a piece. Be warned though, it can make your SS watches less alluring, at least temporarily!

I do have a bit of a thing for titanium though (I've nine titanium handled pocket knives within arm's reach as I write this )
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 11th September 2018 at 22:19.

Try one before buying.

I had a titanium Citizen chrono and liked it, but a number of people commented that it felt like a toy watch, so the lack of heft and warmth isn't a feel everyone likes.

I sold mine because I couldn't read the tiny digital displays and I've been hankering for something else in Titanium ever since, but nothing has ever appealed enough and been in my budget.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    My daily wear is a titanium (black titanium carbide coated) TAG Aquaracer. Comfortable and lightweight, no issues with cosmetic damage after a couple of years. I also have an Omega titanium/red gold Seamaster. Again, comfortable and lightweight though I can say how durable it is as it gets little use. Certainly looks the part and a nice subtle variance from SS

Master
    I've owned a Steinhart and currently have a Pelagos- if I remember rightly Steinhart actually use grade 5 Titanium. Only thing I really could fault the Steinhart on was the finishing, clasp and bracelet made by different manufacturers so slight differences in colour etc.... good value fir what it is but not a patch on the Pelagos, different price range but if you've got the opportunity hold out for the Tudor.

I have 3 - incidentally my last 3 watch purchases. Steel (IMO) is just not as comfortable - both in weight and feel. Looking at all the watches I lust over, pretty much all are in titanium. I'm honestly not sure if I will buy another steel watch anytime soon.

Question

Titanium is good, don't hold back, get in there, you'll be pleased you did, it's the future !!!

Craftsman
    Citizen black DLC coated titanium... bomb proof!!

Master
    Had my 500 on today and it's an exemplary beater. The titanium colour is a lovely dull grey. Makes the blue on the dial pop more.

I have several ss steinharts and the 50g reduction in weight makes it much more comfy.

Scratches can be removed with ink rubbers.

To be fair I hated titanium but after owning the GS Snowflake I'm looking to buy another one real soon.

Journeyman
    You won’t regret getting a titanium watch. So comfortable and I kind of like the grayness of the colour. Definitely something different than your regular stainless steel.

Love it, and I'm not the only one...

Journeyman
    I had a Tudor Pelagos and still own a Ball 300 diver.

Both made of titanium and comfortable on the wrist despite being fairly large and thick.

In my opinion, titanium is a perfect solution for wrist presence and wearing comfort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ti

Love Ti, and always wanted a Shogun...anyway...

Last edited by quietly; 3rd April 2020 at 20:20.

The "Super Titanium" or "Duratect" Citizen uses is much harder than normal ss and harder to scratch. I love it. The Ray Mears in the photo isn't even Duratect as far as I know but there's not a single mark on it and it must be 15 years old.

Owl1
    [QUOTE=reggie747;4881511]Titanium is good, don't hold back, get in there, you'll be pleased you did, it's the future !!!

What model number is the chronomaster please reggie and is it non eco drive ?

My GS Snowflake is the most extreme example of the weight difference I have experienced. Always a surprise when picked up... less so other Seiko mosels I have including a Relay Kinetic and a Sportura. I think the latter has a SS bracelet anyway.
    Even less weight difference with a PAM352 Panerai, which is a fave... none of these has suffered at all with undue vulnerability to marking etc... the Snowflake has retained its Zaratsu shine quite happily and the Sportura, which is late 90s and has been woen lots, has a really nice patina to it.
    Only downside I have ever perceived is ti bracelet construction can be tricky as screw threads might not be as durable. Certainly Seiko use pins and sleeves for that reason, but Panerai just bollock on regardless...

[QUOTE=Owl1;4881587]
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Titanium is good, don't hold back, get in there, you'll be pleased you did, it's the future !!!

What model number is the chronomaster please reggie and is it non eco drive ?
    It's a CTQ57-0955 and it's a HAQ, not eco-drive.

Craftsman
    That Ray Mears is still available for 229 from Very.. it was also released on a titanium bracelet as a Royal Marines commando.. i had it and flipped it before I knew they were going to become collectable.. im going to get another

Craftsman
    Twenty two years old and still going strong

Thanks for the feedback chaps. Logically the only thing to do is take a chance on it and see how it goes. Steinharts retain their value well so it shouldn't be money down the drain if I don't like it.

I love titanium. I love titanium watches.

Your conclusion to try 'one" is undoubtedly the way to go.

Just a note of caution though. Titanium and titanium watches are, just like stainless steel, not all made equal - you may not bond with the one you test drive. That doesn't mean there isn't one out there for you.

Also, if buying second hand watch out for unmarked, like new finishes. For some reason many think they can refinish Ti to factory standards. In reality most can't and you could end up with a truly awful finish.
    Gray

My one and only titanium watch!

2018-07-25 17.19.51 by ataripower, on Flickr

Journeyman
    I'd highly recommend that you try one on first.

I was very close to buying the pelagos LHD, but after trying one on I realised that titanium is not for me.

Maybe I'm alone when I say this, but the lack of weight made it feel cheap.

*Que everyone telling me I'm crazy haha

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    My one and only titanium watch!

2018-07-25 17.19.51 by ataripower, on Flickr
    Some part of me really, really wants one of these

Another Ti watch fan here - the lightness and warmth really appeal to me. Worth noting too that the metal is to a very limited extent "self-healing", in that like Aluminium it forms a transparent layer of oxide on the surface - this keeps the metal safe from corrosion but also (to me at least) means that minor hairline marks seem to "fade" over time. I also really like the variety of shades and finishes available - my X-33 is a lovely matt dark grey, which looks supremely functional, while my Snowflake is gloriously bright. Hard to get that range with steel...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Some part of me really, really wants one of these
    Take a look on SC - there just happens to be one available

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Take a look on SC - there just happens to be one available
    I’ve looked several times! But although part of me badly wants the watch, another part of me (my pocket) doesn’t have the funds at the moment!

Craftsman
    I have a Breitling Aerospace Avantage, a Tissot T-Touch titanium and a Steinhart Ocean 500.

the Breitling is the most comfortable by far followed by the Tissot. The Steinhart, I got recently from SC but It's not really to my taste so I will probably move it on.

I would love an X33 but they are beyond my budget at the moment.

thanks

Kapish

Owl1
    [QUOTE=reggie747;4881627]
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post

It's a CTQ57-0955 and it's a HAQ, not eco-drive.
    Thanks Reggie , i'm going to have to look at one of these ...i didn't know there was a ti one .

Master
    I really like titanium, the blue/grey colour seems a little more subtle than steel, imho anyway. And a ti watch is lighter and more comfortable than its SS counterpart. I tried on the ti fifty fathoms in the summer and it was simply gorgeous. Would snap up a nice used one if ever I saw one.
    And here is a pic of my PAM 346 on a grey Martu strap which really suits the colour of the metal.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Yes titanium is definitely lighter than SS but does scratch more easily although I think I’ve heard titanium has a sort of mild self healing capability. Depends on the grade of titanium used as well. Oh and it wears more warmly on the wrist!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Please do your research before making assumptions.
    My original Citizen Mears (Titanium, but Duratect treated) was bombproof, waaaaaaay less scratchable than almost all stainless watches.
    Omega also uses grade 5 Titanium in some watches.
    So not all titanium scratches, some is very tough.
    In the same way that some makers treat steel to increase resistance to damage. Tegiment, ice-hardening or whatever process, there are many ways of making either metal a lot tougher than the base material.
    I have a Pelagos, EZM1 and Tutima Commando, and none scratch terribly easily.
    None of them are very light either, the Pelagos especially.
    Base titanium is also a little more resistant to swirlies, as it reforms a slight oxide layer over bared metal (the surface of a scratch).

Dave

Also RoboCop was made of titanium. That counts for a lot in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Love it, and I'm not the only one...

Ahah nice pic

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Yeah love my pam177

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Please do your research before making assumptions.

Dave
    Errr.... that's kind of the point of the article 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Errr.... that's kind of the point of the article 樂
    Sure, but you and others make generalisatios about the material in your posts. The pint i wasmaking is that titanium varies massively in soecification and therefore performance. Hence the need to find out what each maker does for each model

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    That Ray Mears is still available for 229 from Very.. it was also released on a titanium bracelet as a Royal Marines commando.. i had it and flipped it before I knew they were going to become collectable.. im going to get another

I have the commando- great beater
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Master

It’s not all doom and gloom

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Also, if buying second hand watch out for unmarked, like new finishes. For some reason many think they can refinish Ti to factory standards. In reality most can't and you could end up with a truly awful finish.
    I picked this up,from the bay- finish was horrible- pitted and just not nice
    About an hour with various mediums and I was quite happy (for what I paid)

I have a few Ti watches, one reason I like them is Ti is hypoallergenic, I'm a big fan of the SR71 too ;-)

Master
    I have these four, they all wear very comfortably, if you are looking for a tough titanium watch, that resists marking it will need a hardness treatment. Seiko Dia-Shield works well and Sinn Tegimented is even tougher.

Yes Seiko has made some treatment to its ti watches and they are more scratch resistant now. If weight is what you need or want to avoid, it should be the major concern of you.

I own 2 citizen titanium watches and for me I am more than happy, I get no enjoyment now a days from a heavy watch moving about on my wrist, I like to wear my watches lose so the weight soon becomes annoying. I think more manufacturers should look to making their time pieces out of titanium. Picked this up recently and I forget I am even wearing it

https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=c...qQan8G_Fd91WM:

WTF happened to that😳
    At least the front looks decent now😉
    I'd be well chuffed at picking up a bargain. My Comments were with regard to Ti described as like new or factory finish when it's anything but

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I picked this up,from the bay- finish was horrible- pitted and just not nice
    About an hour with various mediums and I was quite happy (for what I paid)
    Gray