closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Purchasing Experience

Craftsman

Recent Purchasing Experience

EDIT:

Basically I was wrong here, my watch actually had a full compliment of links with it, it just happens to not be a very big bracelet!

The point stands though, Watchfinder is known for this so whenever you buy from them specify a larger wrist size as they sell surplus on eBay

Right...

I'm pretty new to this watch business, but I'm very enthusiastic and have had a lovely time on here over the past couple weeks learning some bits and bobs and getting to know a few people. So after a few years of my most expensive watch being a PRS-40, I wanted to go ahead and try with something more 'luxury' (uck, horrible word).

I have been looking at Watchfinder for a while and always found their website lovely to use, images were great and the stock is excellent. I found the watch I wanted, the Tudor Black Bay 36, 2016 complete with box and papers the lot! Price seemed a little more than what you'd pay here but that's understandable. For my first 'real' watch I figured I wanted to go down the route of a more sheltered experience, basically eBay is a shit show and the warranty you get with Watchfinder is comforting. Also they do have all the bells and whistles as far as polishing and servicing goes, so you know you'll get a real gem.

£1780 and 1 day later this rather ornate package turns up. Huge box, incredibly well packaged, free Saturday delivery and all these bells and whistles on it. Some kind of Tote drawstring bag branded with thier logo etc etc etc. The watch is absolutely perfect, looks brand new, all the cards are there original Tudor box and manuals.

.... But no spare links...?

Then I remembered, they made this extra point of ringing me before they posted it to confirm my wrist size. It was REALLY important to them, so important that they said we wont post it to you before we confirm that.. because we want to size it for you so it's perfect. I thought great, excellent, all done for me no worries and gave over my 7 inch wrist size.

And yeah, it fits me like a glove, but what about when I want to resell it?

I got in touch with the company and this was the response:

"Good morning,

Thank you for your email. We request our customers wrist measurement so we can size the watch. We added the last remaining links we had in stock to this watch so it’s great it fits you!

If you do need any more, we will need to order them in from Rolex but they will be chargeable."
    I was still naive at this point, I was thinking the original owner must've just lost the links and oh arnt Watchfinder so wonderful for adding them on for me, great!

Then I spoke to a good friend of mine who is much more experienced in this world and he basically said, I'm really sorry mate but check out thier eBay.. What do I see! PAGES upon PAGES of used replacement links, must be tens of thousands of pounds worth, each of these listings with the 'more than 10 available' priced at £20 a pop for basic steel ones. This was when I realised I'd been duped out of my spare links, and essentially out of £55 PER link which is what they cost from Rolex/Tudor.

So I got onto them this morning with this email:

"Your Ebay store is full of second hand links.. I think it’s only fair to provide all the links you get with a watch, I find it very hard to believe you got a watch like this with all its original paperwork and boxes but no spare links...?

I understand if this is a policy of yours but it’s definitely
    put me off using you again, and I’ll amend my trust pilot review to reflect that.."

and a few hours later I got this poor excuse for a reply:
    "Good afternoon Elliot,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have a stock of links which we sell on if certain brands are over stocked. We do not take them from current watches as we usually have to make watches up to size as they come into us under average as they are pre-owned.

As you will see from the image of your watch on the site, it was supplied to you with the number of links we received it with.

If we have the links in stock they would be £20.00 per link. If not you would have to source these from Tudor directly, however I am unware of the RRP price from them."
    Aside from spelling my name wrong even though it's right there, this email is damn right rude. She's gone ahead and taken the route of well if there isnt more links in the pictures, you dont get more links, the classic thing they try and use to get around the 14 day distance selling regulation rules. I just can't get out of my head that someone who took this good care of a watch (it looks brand new, but yeah It mightve been refurbed by them) keeps all the paperwork, the box etc but loses the links?! How!

So essentially I'm powerless now, they wont take the watch back (I tried this as a power play) because I've taken off their tamper sticker and I highly doubt they are going to go ahead and send me links..

I'll keep this thread updated as I get more information,

Like I said the watch fits me a treat, I just am concerned I have to discount the price when I sell it to someone with more than a 7 inch wrist..

So the lesson here, if you buy from Watchfinder, tell them you have a 8 inch wrist!

And HEY, I may be wrong.. but they literally have SO much stock on eBay as far as links go, it must make up a very decent part of thier business!
    Last edited by ejtrent; 11th September 2018 at 19:12.

As always Caveat Empor

I’m leaning away from “sharp practice” towards ‘underhand’

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    As always Caveat Empor
    Yeah I can see that, I'm not overly upset by the situation I just thought it might be worth passing on the info!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    Yeah I can see that, I'm not overly upset by the situation I just thought it might be worth passing on the info!
    How many links would the bracelet have in it from the factory? And how many is it short of now?

What it means is that every time you buy from them you need to measure a full bracelet, add that to the watch lug to lug and you have your wrist size

They've been doing this for years.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the heads up, I have never bought from WF but if I do I will be bragging about an 8.5 incher.

Cheers

This has been raised more than a few times on TZ. Sorry you've been bummed on it....I would feel quite piffed too.

Yeah, this has been a known Watchfinder thing for some time, it's pretty underhand. Simple solution for those in the know, tell them your wrist size is 2 inches bigger than it really is, but that's of zero help for you on this watch.

You could, however, post the advice on your review...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    How many links would the bracelet have in it from the factory? And how many is it short of now?
    Tudor just like most other watch companies have a very unhelpful website so I can't seem to find that information anywhere!

All I can find is that Lady Gaga wears my watch..

In my dealings with Watchfinder I always insist that they size the bracelet to 7.5" as part of the agreement to buy, which they always agree to. I only have 7.25" wrists, so normally end up removing one and leaving that in the box as a spare.

It is known that they will strip any surplus links (in their opinion) so give them false information in order to make them supply you with more than you need

Craftsman
    Hot off the press, just had another reply:

Although I cannot comment on what a previous owner may have done, it is possible they may have retained the links or sold them in their time of ownership. I can only advise of what has happened to the watch in our possession.

From our stock we have x1 link we can supply at £20.00.

In regards to your other email that is correct, you can return the watch for a full refund.

If you can please advise how you wish to proceed I can send the necessary details.

They've actually now said that they can take it back, I had assumed they wouldn't after reading their terms and conditions,

I've replied to confirm even with the tamper sticker removed can I still return it?

The few times I purchased a watch from WF they were happy to send out a few spare links for free, this was a while ago though.

Funny enough I purchased a half link for a Rolex via WF on eBay (£30) a month ago and noticed they had lots of links for sale, i guess its a good money earner for them!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I previously returned a watch with the tamper sticker removed albeit I had only had it one day.
    To be fair to them they are being helpful, just remember the golden rule guys, go with the girthy wrist

Master
    This happened to me when I purchased my first Rolex (16600) from them and I was fairly new to this crazy watch hobby.
    They sized the bracelet and kept the spare link(s).. I'm a lot wiser now. It won't happen again.

I'm always surprised to read that forum members have sold watches to WF and been made a good offer as I've only received derisory offers from them.

To be fair to them they are being helpful, just remember the golden rule guys, go with the girthy wrist
    It does seem crazy they would lose a sale over £20 for a spare link which owes them nothing.

If you like the watch another £20 or £40 is not going to make much difference and will reassure you when you decide to pass it on

Craftsman
    Not surprised at all thanks for the advise

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If you like the watch another £20 or £40 is not going to make much difference and will reassure you when you decide to pass it on
    Surely it the principle though that they have a number for sale on eBay yet want to charge additional money for them.

As the OP pointed out if he/she had said they had 8" wrist they would have included more links.

Master
    A company to which the words 'buy with caution' is spot on. And not just about stuff like links,,,we could start with the boxes and work out from there. But it's a free world.....

I've replied to confirm even with the tamper sticker removed can I still return it?
    In future, just remove a single screw to split the bracelet, the security tag then slides off and can be put back on again if needed later - but you didn't get this from me

Craftsman
    To be fair, if I can get another link or 2 I'll definitely hold onto it,

It's a lot of hassle to return stuff for me as I am always so busy, so we will see!

Craftsman
    Guys,

The plot thickens,

The rules change,

Just got this, after querying even if it had the tamper sticker removed and anotehr email saying 'Youd really throw away a sale for a spare link?'

Hi,

You would be entitled to return it for an exchange.

Well just enjoy the watch as it sounds like you really like it.

Master
    Tudor just like most other watch companies have a very unhelpful website so I can't seem to find that information anywhere!

All I can find is that Lady Gaga wears my watch..
    So you don’t know if it’s missing links or not??

FWIW, I don’t have particularly large wrists, but a new Rolex I bought recently didn’t need any links removing. Seems bracelets may no be as long as they used to be..

A workmate of mine had a Daytona stolen in a burglary . When the insurance claim was sorted he replaced it via Watchfinder. Upon arrival he needed an extra link. Watchfinder said he would have to purchase one, he said he would return the watch under the consumer rights act, they sent the link gratis.

Cheers

Craftsman

FWIW, I don’t have particularly large wrists, but a new Rolex I bought recently didn’t need any links removing. Seems bracelets may no be as long as they used to be..
    Maybe I'm just being a monster and bullying the poor woman helping me on the other end of the line?!

Craftsman
    I'm going to try and sherlock a youtube video to find out how many links they come with..

Maybe I'm just being a monster and bullying the poor woman helping me on the other end of the line?!
    I think you are quite right in asking for a full bracelet as WF have clearly made a decent return on buying and selling the watch and a few extra links is the least they could do to sweeten a deal.

I'm going to try and sherlock a youtube video to find out how many links they come with..
    Isn't it on the Tudor / Rolex website, the Rolex bracelets are.

Just checked - crap. Ask anyone on here who bought the watch brand new?
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 11th September 2018 at 17:39.

Master
    Not sure what that reply I supposed to mean, but my point stands... How do you know if the bracelet is missing a link or 2, if you don’t know how many should be in it in the first place?

FWIW... I would want the full amount, but you may already have it....

Looks like it should have 12, including the one under the clasp.

From what I can see online it would appear the bracelet should have 12 links.

Craftsman
    Ok I'm a monster,

Mine has the exact amount links pictured there,

So it appears I have a full sized bracelet,

Ok so have I just humiliated myself to all of you?

I just figured I dont have particularly large wrists! But I guess being a 36mm they supply the appropriate amount for the size?

What a fool I am.. I'm going to hide in the corner

Master
    Ok I'm a monster,

Mine has the exact amount links pictured there,

So it appears I have a full sized bracelet,

Ok so have I just humiliated myself to all of you?

I just figured I dont have particularly large wrists! But I guess being a 36mm they supply the appropriate amount for the size?

What a fool I am.. I'm going to hide in the corner
    Like I said, my wrists aren’t very big either, but a new watch a few weeks ago didn’t need any links taking out....

I was surprised as usually they have to remove 1 or 2...🤪🤪

To be fair, it’s something WF should know and they should have been able to confirm, rather than find silly tales.

Craftsman
    Yeah, well at least I can have sell/trade in future and know its a full bracelet..

I guess for the man with the larger wrist who wears a 36mm you'd get the AD to give you the links FoC..

I think 7.5 might squeeze into it..

To be fair, it’s something WF should know and they should have been able to confirm, rather than find silly tales.
    It suggests they know they do it, so were trying to find a story to back themselves up.

Either way, it's good that WF's link antics have been highlighted again, even if in this instance it might not have actually occurred.

Craftsman
    Oh and I sent an email saying sorry and that I was wrong, haha!

I figured I've done some damage with this thread so I might aswell address the woman herself and say I'm sorry to have wasted her time.

Is it better to move this to the bear pit or something so it doesnt show up in google?

Craftsman
    Totally the opposite to the experience I just had as they never asked what my wristsize was, I did see on their online portal a section to input this but left it blank knowing that I'd want to take it into the brand bouqitue as they know my measurements.

That said did read through their T&C's, I'm sure they had a caveat around adjusting watches & also a section on bracelet sizing.

Seems odd practise not to treat all customers the same.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh and I sent an email saying sorry and that I was wrong, haha!

I figured I've done some damage with this thread so I might aswell address the woman herself and say I'm sorry to have wasted her time.

Is it better to move this to the bear pit or something so it doesnt show up in google?
    I work in an office dealing with ### on a regular basis - if she works in the uk send her a £5 Asda gift card so she can buy a tin of ch0ccies/biscuits. tell her, as a watch enthusiast you were overly concerned about being able to flip your watch later on - you might even then get a couple of extra links in the post

Might be a plan to change the thread title if you are concerned about future searches.

Maybe fix the sweary OP?

Anyway, glad to hear you’re happy enough :)

Make sure your trustpilot review is a belter

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Make sure your trustpilot review is a belter
    It's actually really nice!

Grand Master

Rolex have never been as generous with their standard supplied bracelet lengths, certainly compared to Omega. It’s difficult to know what a full length should be, I’d say 7.5” but it could be less with Rolex.

It makes sense to aim for 7.5” in my opinion, you have to consider resale in the future. My wrists are around 6.75”, I always end up taking links out when I buy a watch, but I’m still careful to ensure plenty of links are supplied. If a bracelet’s a bit short I try to source one or two extras whilst they’re available.

Watchfinder are being sly and underhand, when they buy a watch I’m sure they pay less if the bracelet’s short.........they can’t have it both ways but that’s what they’re trying to do. I’d buy from them if they had exactly what I wanted but I’d be cautious, some of their stuff looked a bit overpolished when they had the shop in Leeds.

If I was the OP I’d keep the watch and stump up the extra to buy 1 link. No point in cutting your nose off to spite your face, enjoy the watch!

Master
    I saw a pic of the Watch belonging to the WF owner other day...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Rolex have never been as generous with their standard supplied bracelet lengths, certainly compared to Omega. It’s difficult to know what a full length should be, I’d say 7.5” but it could be less with Rolex.

It makes sense to aim for 7.5” in my opinion, you have to consider resale in the future. My wrists are around 6.75”, I always end up taking links out when I buy a watch, but I’m still careful to ensure plenty of links are supplied. If a bracelet’s a bit short I try to source one or two extras whilst they’re available.

Watchfinder are being sly and underhand, when they buy a watch I’m sure they pay less if the bracelet’s short.........they can’t have it both ways but that’s what they’re trying to do. I’d buy from them if they had exactly what I wanted but I’d be cautious, some of their stuff looked a bit overpolished when they had the shop in Leeds.

If I was the OP I’d keep the watch and stump up the extra to buy 1 link. No point in cutting your nose off to spite your face, enjoy the watch!
    Yeah I'm going to hold onto it!

Thankfully the polishing is exactly as it should be, the bevel transitions are good and sharp!

Journeyman
    I would keep the watch if you like it and get a spare link if and when you can.