closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multifocal Contact Lenses - Any Experience?

Hybrid View

Multifocal Contact Lenses - Any Experience?

I’ve worn daily disposable toric contact lenses for longer than I care to remember, and find them infinitely preferable to specs. Recently, as presbyopia inevitably starts creeping in to my prescription, I’ve been investigating multifocal contact lenses, and was wondering whether anyone uses them and could share their experience.

As far as I’m aware, there’s currently only one manufacturer offering multifocal torics (CooperVision Proclear), and these are monthly disposables only, so I’d also be interested if anyone knows of a daily disposable, or if perhaps we have an insider who knows when they might be coming to market.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Craftsman
    I use Dalies aqua comfort plus multifocal for scuba diving. They work for me better than a magnifying mask to see my instrumentation and whatever I'm looking at in a normal field of vision when diving. However, I don't use them for other uses as I found they are rather limiting on distances ie: driving is not much fun with them (but I can see the dash clearly). In summation, I'd say they are a compromise that just happens to be ideal for my specific purpose.

Don't ask how they work, I've no idea!

Grand Master
    I wore contact lenses to correct short sight for years, but by mid- 40s the presbyopia kicked in and they were no use to me except for running. Having adjusted to varifocal glasses I tried the multifocal contact lenses but had no success. I tried again later and just couldn’t get on with them. I felt as though my eyes were taking longer to focus when changing from looking in the distance to close up. The effect was a bit like mild concussion to me, as if my eyes weren’t quite working correctly. I recall going out drinking in them, after a couple of pints I felt fine in the pub and convinced myself they were OK, but when I got outside I couldn’t see sharply, it seemed like an effort to focus my eyes.

The optician, who convinced me they’d be OK, admitted that approx 40% of wearers can’t get along with them. Unless they’ve improved significantly I won’t bother trying again

Maybe it’s time to wear glasses and accept your eyes, like the rest of you, are getting old. Owing to my job I had to wear glasses daily, I only wore contacts out of work or for sport, so for me it was no great hardship to stop using contact lenses. Having said that, I prefer not wearing glasses when out in the rain etc, it would help to wear contact lenses sometimes.

Master
    Up until yesterday I didn't even know such things existed... never been suggested to me by Boots!

I like the concept because it holds the promise of not having to walk around with a pair of reading glasses in my pocket (tbh I never remember so it's a pain in cafes etc....).

tbh if there's even a slight chance of these working for me then I'll give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Up until yesterday I didn't even know such things existed... never been suggested to me by Boots!

I like the concept because it holds the promise of not having to walk around with a pair of reading glasses in my pocket (tbh I never remember so it's a pain in cafes etc....).

tbh if there's even a slight chance of these working for me then I'll give them a try.
    My thoughts exactly! Just wondering how long I'll have to wait before daily disposable multifocal toric lenses come along...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    My thoughts exactly! Just wondering how long I'll have to wait before daily disposable multifocal toric lenses come along...
    There's nothing in the offing to my knowledge and realistically I can't see there being. They are rather complex to make, results are variable and there aren't enough people who want them. As was said there is only one toric mutlifocal on the market and that's a monthly I use them and they can be ok but there is always some compromise to the vision.

They work on a concentric ring principle. All have one option with the central 3mm being the DV rx and then the rxs alternate every 1.5mm or so to the periphery. Some have a NV lens option where the central 3mm is the near rx.
    The idea being that your brain will merge it all together so you can see.
    It works, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    I use Dalies aqua comfort plus multifocal for scuba diving. They work for me better than a magnifying mask to see my instrumentation and whatever I'm looking at in a normal field of vision when diving. However, I don't use them for other uses as I found they are rather limiting on distances ie: driving is not much fun with them (but I can see the dash clearly). In summation, I'd say they are a compromise that just happens to be ideal for my specific purpose.

Don't ask how they work, I've no idea!
    Thanks for this. As for how they work, well it looks like witchcraft to me :)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I wore contact lenses to correct short sight for years, but by mid- 40s the presbyopia kicked in and they were no use to me except for running. Having adjusted to varifocal glasses I tried the multifocal contact lenses but had no success. I tried again later and just couldn’t get on with them. I felt as though my eyes were taking longer to focus when changing from looking in the distance to close up. The effect was a bit like mild concussion to me, as if my eyes weren’t quite working correctly. I recall going out drinking in them, after a couple of pints I felt fine in the pub and convinced myself they were OK, but when I got outside I couldn’t see sharply, it seemed like an effort to focus my eyes.

The optician, who convinced me they’d be OK, admitted that approx 40% of wearers can’t get along with them. Unless they’ve improved significantly I won’t bother trying again

Maybe it’s time to wear glasses and accept your eyes, like the rest of you, are getting old. Owing to my job I had to wear glasses daily, I only wore contacts out of work or for sport, so for me it was no great hardship to stop using contact lenses. Having said that, I prefer not wearing glasses when out in the rain etc, it would help to wear contact lenses sometimes.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Without CLs, I'd need to wear specs all day every day, and although my nearsightedness isn't a problem at the moment, when it does become an issue then the faff of carrying reading glasses / varifocals / prescription sunglasses / spare pairs, etc. just puts me off. Seems to me that CL technology is improving all the time, so fingers crossed it won't be long before there's a daily disposable to correct all three elements of my prescription.

Important to accept that compared to spectacles, there has to be a compromise in the vision with multifocals. Moreso with a toric.

Go in expecting perfect vision, and you'll be disappointed. Expect acceptable vision, and you're more likely to get on with them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Isn't an alternative to correct for long and short sight separately in the two eyes?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Isn't an alternative to correct for long and short sight separately in the two eyes?
    Can be- I wear a contact lense in my left (dominant) eye and nothing in my right. For day to day it is a useful compromise as I can read and see long distance (inc driving).

i use them for cycling so i can wear close fitting sunnies, they are a compromise ,id say better for reading than distance , can drive in them , i wear them once or twice a week they are daily disposables, wouldnt like to wear them every day or all day, they did take a bit of getting used to, but i am happy with them .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I wear them to play tennis and cycle, no issues and I'm happy with them.

@mav112, mine are set up for distance more than reading so if anything I'm the other way round to you, I can't read too well with them but distance is spot on. As I understood it there is only so much range they can accommodate; I chose to sacrifice near vision for better long vision given how I use them.

Master
    Spent nearly 3 hours at Boots yesterday trying various power lenses.... Well it's different, I'll say that. So it's where to draw the compromise between slightly blurred distance and slightly blurred close up. Apparently the problem is my long distance is perfect so the multifocal lenses will end up making that worse BUT I'll be able to read at computer screen distance okay. tbh I don't know. Anyway they're ordering in a set for a 30 day trial... nothing ventured.

So I was in our local cafe later that day and talking about it and a women in there said she had artificial eye lenses fitted. 100% sorted the problem....! However a search on line seems to infer £3.5K per eye!!

Spent nearly 3 hours at Boots yesterday trying various power lenses.... Well it's different, I'll say that. So it's where to draw the compromise between slightly blurred distance and slightly blurred close up. Apparently the problem is my long distance is perfect so the multifocal lenses will end up making that worse BUT I'll be able to read at computer screen distance okay. tbh I don't know. Anyway they're ordering in a set for a 30 day trial... nothing ventured.

So I was in our local cafe later that day and talking about it and a women in there said she had artificial eye lenses fitted. 100% sorted the problem....! However a search on line seems to infer £3.5K per eye!!
    Technology is similar to the contact lenses, so you get a similar effect. If you're used to perfect vision, you'll still notice the compromise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Technology is similar to the contact lenses, so you get a similar effect. If you're used to perfect vision, you'll still notice the compromise.

And note that as it's surgery, you can't go back on your decision. Once the implant lenses are in, you are stuck with them for probably the rest of your life. Basically, it's identical to cataract surgery, replacing the opaque natural lens with a plastic implant - only if you do it without having cataracts, your health insurance won't pay for it. The implant lens usually is also calculated to include the equivalent of any eyeglass correction you needed before the operation (i.e. for near- or farsightedness and astigmatism), which can result in getting very good distance vision after such surgery. However, the implants won't adapt/focus at all so you'll be stuck with just good (or even excellent) distance vision. The same solution with concentric rings is also available for implants but results in less acuity for any distance (as the lens superimposes two images on your retina, of which one is always blurry depending on what you are looking at) and also produces halos around bright light sources at night or in dark spaces, which is why it's not a great solution for night driving for instance. If my info is still correct, airplane pilots are not allowed to either use multifocal contacts or multifocal implants, and in case of the latter, will be permanently declared medically unfit for flying. That should give anyone contemplating such a 'solution' reason to think twice.
    Basically, it's a marketing ploy. Offer a 'magical' solution that appeals to some people's vanity as they don't want to seem 'old' by wearing reading glasses.
    Personally, having cataract implants in both eyes, I have never juggled so many different types of glasses every day as I refuse to use varifocal glasses and use readers of different powers for different purposes. But I still prefer doing that to compromising my naked-eye distance vision. After all, most of the universe we live in is at more than one metre distance (for those who manage to get their eyes off a phone screen).

Make sure you're gripping the lashes, not the eyelid. There's a lot of flexibility in the lid skin, so you can still blink if holding the lids, the lashes are much more secure.
    If it takes too long, the lens will dry a bit and stick to your finger. Rewet, and try again.
    Not holding the upper lid is a new one on me, would have to have quite a large aperture to get the lens in!

Master
    Cheers.... this was some American bint on youtube. tbh it sounded alright. As you say, I think I'd been at it so long the lens had gone dry. It is best to have a wet finger or as dry as you can get it finger?

Cheers.... this was some American bint on youtube. tbh it sounded alright. As you say, I think I'd been at it so long the lens had gone dry. It is best to have a wet finger or as dry as you can get it finger?
    I find dry works better, with a bit of saline/solution in the cup of the lens. But everyone's different, there is no single technique that works for everyone.

How many times did you get the lens in/out when you had the teach session?

Master
    I find dry works better, with a bit of saline/solution in the cup of the lens. But everyone's different, there is no single technique that works for everyone.

How many times did you get the lens in/out when you had the teach session?

three times over the course of 20 mins. This am I tried a dozen times over 15 mins and then the lens dropped in the sink so I gave up :-(

three times over the course of 20 mins. This am I tried a dozen times over 15 mins and then the lens dropped in the sink so I gave up :-(
    Were you sitting down? That's often the difference between the teaching sessions and how people do it at home.

Have been trying multi focal dailies on and off for awhile now. First trial was with Boots, but they refused to give me anymore help getting the prescription right after my third attempt. I would have to pay.
    Only thing is the ones great for reading left me unable to drive, tweeked slightly and improved driving but not reading abilities.
    To try and understand, the power is for close work and the add is for distance? Is that right?
    Dailies online are costing me over £50 for 30 pairs so I think monthly lens could be a better option.

My tips:

Dry fingers, including the one holding down the lower lid. Slightly wet lens balanced on the very tip of the index finger. Relax, and stare fixedly at the lens all the way in. Try to avoid doing it in front of a mirror - you won't always have one available, so you need to be able to do it without, and looking away at your reflection as you try to get the lens in means you'll be trying to place it on the wrong part of the eyeball. Persevere!

Master
    My tips:

Dry fingers, including the one holding down the lower lid. Slightly wet lens balanced on the very tip of the index finger. Relax, and stare fixedly at the lens all the way in. Try to avoid doing it in front of a mirror - you won't always have one available, so you need to be able to do it without, and looking away at your reflection as you try to get the lens in means you'll be trying to place it on the wrong part of the eyeball. Persevere!
    You might be right about the looking at the mirror. tbh I can focus on anything closer than 3ft so trying to use the mirror was a bit of a waste of time anyway! ;-)

My tips:

Doesn't matter which part of the eye the lens sits on. Soft lenses self centre, so I place it on the white part (sclera) of a patient's eye (least sensitive area), then a blink or two has it sitting centrally.

Putting directly onto the cornea creates the strongest blink reflex, and most new wearers struggle with lid control the most.

I wonder if the video mentioned above was an rgp wearer? They're physically much smaller, so just holding one lid may work in that situation.

Master
    Doesn't matter which part of the eye the lens sits on. Soft lenses self centre, so I place it on the white part (sclera) of a patient's eye (least sensitive area), then a blink or two has it sitting centrally.

Putting directly onto the cornea creates the strongest blink reflex, and most new wearers struggle with lid control the most.

I wonder if the video mentioned above was an rgp wearer? They're physically much smaller, so just holding one lid may work in that situation.

Yes.... I see what you mean.... onto the whites of the eye sounds easier. Actually that was the way the optician fitted them.

So rgp are the monthlys? Yes?

tbh you might be right there but she did say the technique was equally applicable to dailies as well.

Sounds like rgp lenses would be easier plus cheaper and plus more options for lens type.

RGP = rigid gas permeable. These are the small hard plastic lenses.

As an alternative to multi focal lens, how does mono vision lenses compare?
    Was chatting with one of my customers a few weeks ago and he said he had gone mono vision and found it much better vision wise, and cheaper to boot.

Yes.... I see what you mean.... onto the whites of the eye sounds easier. Actually that was the way the optician fitted them.

tbh you might be right there but she did say the technique was equally applicable to dailies as well.

Sounds like rgp lenses would be easier plus cheaper and plus more options for lens type.
    Rgp (rigid gas permeable) are small, hard lenses, usually annual replacement.
    Dailies and monthlies are soft lenses.

Master
    Rgp (rigid gas permeable) are small, hard lenses, usually annual replacement.
    Dailies and monthlies are soft lenses.

arrr... right.

Interesting - I can only do it by placing the lens directly onto the cornea, and I only ever hold down the bottom lid. I guess after so many years I must have got the blink reflex under control.

I find the lenses more prone to folding or popping out if they go onto the sclera first. I started out with RGPs, which you really want to get correctly centred from the outset :)

Interesting - I can only do it by placing the lens directly onto the cornea, and I only ever hold down the bottom lid. I guess after so many years I must have got the blink reflex under control.

I find the lenses more prone to folding or popping out if they go onto the sclera first. I started out with RGPs, which you really want to get correctly centred from the outset :)
    Exactly, you're pretty much using rgp technique from what you're describing. Nothing wrong with that at all, but much more tricky to pick up for a newbie.

Once youve adapted to an rgp, could probably get a brick in there without too much discomfort;)

Once youve adapted to an rgp, could probably get a brick in there without too much discomfort;)
    LOL it often felt like I had on windy days :)

Hold eyelashes up with forefinger and lower lid with middle finger of other hand. Shouldn’t be possible to touch eyelashes with inserting finger. Even if you blink, if lids well held, lens should still go in.

Master
    Hold eyelashes up with forefinger and lower lid with middle finger of other hand. Shouldn’t be possible to touch eyelashes with inserting finger. Even if you blink, if lids well held, lens should still go in.
    Yes I tried that... though, tbh, I tried so many permutations that I've lost track now ;-)

I think I've lost patience so time to speak to Boots, have another try with them sat next to me. If I can do it two or three times with them then I'll give it another go at home. At the moment a bit despondent and god knows what my blood pressure is!

Master
    Yes I tried that... though, tbh, I tried so many permutations that I've lost track now ;-)

I think I've lost patience so time to speak to Boots, have another try with them sat next to me. If I can do it two or three times with them then I'll give it another go at home. At the moment a bit despondent and god knows what my blood pressure is!
    I really struggled with mine at first, but had another training session and the lady really helped me immensely. The main mistake I was making was to apply to much pressure, in essence you just need the faintest of touches of the lens to the eye for it to attracted to the eyeball if that makes sense. Also, I use left hand to hold upper lashes out of the way, middle finger of right for the lower, and apply the lens with the index finger. The other thing is not to blink too quickly once inserted which I struggle with so I actually lower the eyelid with my finger.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I really struggled with mine at first, but had another training session and the lady really helped me immensely. The main mistake I was making was to apply to much pressure, in essence you just need the faintest of touches of the lens to the eye for it to attracted to the eyeball if that makes sense. Also, I use left hand to hold upper lashes out of the way, middle finger of right for the lower, and apply the lens with the index finger. The other thing is not to blink too quickly once inserted which I struggle with so I actually lower the eyelid with my finger.
    I think I did both mistakes.... press too hard on the eye and also blink too soon after removing finger with the consequence I found it stuck to my eye lid :-(

9:15 tomorrow at Boots.

bwt, assuming I get used to them etc...., I was looking at the Air Optix Aqua lenses which seem to have a lot of advantages over dailies i.e. supposed to be easier to fit and you can even occasionally sleep in them, oh.... and they work out a lot cheaper!

I think I did both mistakes.... press too hard on the eye and also blink too soon after removing finger with the consequence I found it stuck to my eye lid :-(

bwt, assuming I get used to them etc...., I was looking at the Air Optix Aqua lenses which seem to have a lot of advantages over dailies i.e. supposed to be easier to fit and you can even occasionally sleep in them, oh.... and they work out a lot cheaper!
    Good luck and don't give up!

I'm just off for an eye test and trial of the MF torics

Personally, I wouldn't sleep in them. Or recommend a patient sleeps in them.

Don’t wear them now but when I did think biggest problem at first was being too tentative.
    Persevere, maybe bit more training (those ladies are nice!) you’ll get there.

^^
    Swimming with contacts is certainly not advised due to risk of infection.

^^
    Thanks, I never knew.

I actually discussed with my optometrist that I swim in them and never got any feedback (swimming was actually one of the reasons why I originally started to wear contacts 20+ years ago). A quick google explains why it isn't recmmended and that makes perfect sense.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Is that true even with goggles? (I've just started taking swimming lessons, and I have been wearing goggles to keep water out of my eyes, but I'm not quite at the point of buying prescription goggles!)

Also, FWIW, I'm paying £40 a month for daily disposable multifocals on the Specsavers Lensmail scheme.

Master
    My optician also said no swimming because of the chlorine etc... chemicals. When I asked about a salt water pool (I have to play the smart alec), i.e. like the saline solution you wash the lenses with anyway, he didn't have an answer ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Is that true even with goggles? (I've just started taking swimming lessons, and I have been wearing goggles to keep water out of my eyes, but I'm not quite at the point of buying prescription goggles!)

Also, FWIW, I'm paying £40 a month for daily disposable multifocals on the Specsavers Lensmail scheme.
    My optician also said no swimming because of the chlorine etc... chemicals. When I asked about a salt water pool (I have to play the smart alec), i.e. like the saline solution you wash the lenses with anyway, he didn't have an answer ;-)
    Whatever water you're swimming in can harbour huge numbers of bacteria and other micro-organisms, which can attach themselves to your lenses and lead to infections. Additionally, the lenses are highly water-absorbent and so they can swell and change shape, which can irritate the eyes.

The advice I've always had is to avoid swimming or showering in lenses, but if for some reason you must, then you should wear waterproof goggles and throw the lenses away immediately after you're done.

Swimming is ok, but only if you remove and dispose straight after. Obviously only really works with dailies.

Goggles with a decent seal should be fine, but if chuck the contacts after if pool water did get in.

I wouldn't wear them on flights either.

For practice, sit down and practice opening the lids and touching the white of the eye. Only the white! Don't go near the cornea. Goes without saying to wash your hands beforehand.

Sounds like progress!

Still waiting for mine to come in to Vision Express. Seems that the torics are made to order and take about a month...

Master
    Sounds like progress!

Still waiting for mine to come in to Vision Express. Seems that the torics are made to order and take about a month...
    I'm surprised at the 'made to order'.. Vision Direct have them as an off the shelf purchase and I think they ARE Vision Express. I'll be interested on how you find them... I'm thinking of giving them a try. The price is much the same (well it is from Vision Direct) as standard multi-focals so I don't know why they haven't been suggested by Boots. I think I'll ask them in two weeks at the next checkup.

I'm surprised at the 'made to order'.. Vision Direct have them as an off the shelf purchase and I think they ARE Vision Express. I'll be interested on how you find them... I'm thinking of giving them a try. The price is much the same (well it is from Vision Direct) as standard multi-focals so I don't know why they haven't been suggested by Boots. I think I'll ask them in two weeks at the next checkup.
    Vision Direct have them available to order, yes, but - at least for my parameters - when you get to the checkout they state estimated delivery in about a month.

I'm pretty sure there's no connection between Vision Express and Vision Direct.

Master

I'm pretty sure there's no connection between Vision Express and Vision Direct.
    tbh I've been on so many online lens sellers web sites you're probably correct... I'm sure one of the online sellers said something about collect from vision express though it might well NOT be vision direct - looking at online sellers, reviews, forums, tech sites, it's starting to blow my mind!

tbh I've been on so many online lens sellers web sites you're probably correct... I'm sure one of the online sellers said something about collect from vision express though it might well NOT be vision direct - looking at online sellers, reviews, forums, tech sites, it's starting to blow my mind!
    Lol yes it's a bit of a minefield.

One thing I've learned from years of using Vision Direct is never to go to the site direct, but instead by searching for your lenses on Google and clicking their Shopping ad. I almost always get a lower price that way.