closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Multifocal Contact Lenses - Any Experience?

Master
    About 4-5 days now on the monthlies. Still taking too many attempts to get them in but it's getting better. Also the monthlies are harder to get out. They seem to stick to your eyeball more than the dailies.. or perhaps it's because they're a little stiffer/thicker. Anyway getting there. So far it's a positive for the the monthlies. Yes distance vision is compromised but I can type/read fine with them though the other day I was reading a book and I was thinking 'gosh this is nice and clear... I must be getting more used to the lenses'. Then I realised, by reflex, I'd put on a pair of reading glasses that were on the table!

I am finding after about 6 hours that they're starting to irritate... it's like having a hair in your eye.. the right eye more than the left. I'm sure this will improve.

Just got back from Vision Express to try the Proclear MF Torics.

Think these might work well for me but the left lens prescribed for me refused to centre properly, with the markers off by about 40°.

The right lens was pretty good so hoping that with a different left lens to compensate for the offset, they could be a good solution.

Just have to wait another three or four weeks...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Just got back from Vision Express to try the Proclear MF Torics.

Think these might work well for me but the left lens prescribed for me refused to centre properly, with the markers off by about 40°.

The right lens was pretty good so hoping that with a different left lens to compensate for the offset, they could be a good solution.

Just have to wait another three or four weeks...
    So these have to be inserted a specific right way up then, or do you only have to get it roughly correct and they'll swivel on the eye until they're orientated correctly?

Yes I think this is related to the axis for the cylindrical component of the lens, to correct astigmatism.

As I understand it they're supposed to rotate spontaneously to the correct orientation so that the markers on the edge sit at 3 and 9 o'clock.

However, depending on the shape of the eye, they don't always settle correctly and so the prescription has to be altered to compensate for it.

Master
    Yes I think this is related to the axis for the cylindrical component of the lens, to correct astigmatism.

As I understand it they're supposed to rotate spontaneously to the correct orientation so that the markers on the edge sit at 3 and 9 o'clock.

However, depending on the shape of the eye, they don't always settle correctly and so the prescription has to be altered to compensate for it.
    So what's involved then with the eye test for these things? How do the test for where you need the correction applied? Is there a laser involved....? A laser seems to generally be the answer for this sort of thing nowadays ;-)

Don't think there's a laser involved - a standard eye test and refraction is sufficient I believe.

It's to do with having corneas curved more like rugby balls than footballs IIRC.

Master
    Please keep us (me) updated with how the toric lenses go.... I'm still having sight issues where the vision is slipping. A couple of blinks and it's okay so I'm thinking I've still got the occasional issue of the lens slipping or moving on the eye. Torics sound the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Please keep us (me) updated with how the toric lenses go.... I'm still having sight issues where the vision is slipping. A couple of blinks and it's okay so I'm thinking I've still got the occasional issue of the lens slipping or moving on the eye. Torics sound the answer.
    Will do, but torics are only prescribed to correct astigmatism. If you're astigmatic, you'll have values for CYL (Cylinder) and Axis on your prescription. If not, then torics aren't for you.

Master
    Will do, but torics are only prescribed to correct astigmatism. If you're astigmatic, you'll have values for CYL (Cylinder) and Axis on your prescription. If not, then torics aren't for you.
    Oh.... might not be for me then. I thought a toric lens was more of a generic thing to 'tune' the shape of the lens better to the eye so the lenses work better. Not for me I think.

Master
    btw I'm pretty sure the lenses I'm trying are the concentric type (they seem to be the most common). Has anyone tried the Aspheric Multifocal Contact Lenses? Better/Worse/Expensive?

Master
    So c. two weeks in with the 'monthlies' and a bit mixed results. When they're good they're good but I often go through periods where they're uncomfortable and the vision goes blurred. ALSO!!! A panic drive to boots late yesterday afternoon because I couldn't get one out... 15 mins of scrapping my eyeball and the rhs would not come out. So a panic drive to boots. So the optician umms are ahhs and declares the lens isn't there! Ho hum. Nice scratched eye now where I'd been trying to get a lens out that wasn't there. New set on order!

Master
    My final post....

Now on Aspherical type and they are a significant improvement over the concentric ring type. Tried a couple of different powers, one is slightly better at distance and the other at reading so it's just a case of deciding which way to go. One thing I have learnt is NOT good in poor light... by that I mean dark unlit roads. Driving home the other night down a country lane (B road) that before I would have done at mumble-mumble speeds but with the lenses in it was a case of 'double-nickel' because of reduced vision - I won't do that again.

Sounds like a reasonable outcome, albeit somewhat compromised, as predicted by a few posters here.

In the meantime, my revised lenses have arrived at Vision Express, but not in time for me to give them a try before heading off for a week in the sun.

I'll get to try them next week.
    Last edited by DMC102; 13th November 2018 at 16:48.

Apprentice
    Tend only to use multifocal contact lenses when my glasses become more of a nuisance e.g. when I go cinema or sport etc. otherwise I stick to glasses. Dailies AquaComfort multifocal are the best for not getting dry eyes for me. Used to get them from my optician but they are cheaper online nowadays from www.lenslounge.co.uk

Hope that helps (y)

Master
    Following my varifocal thread that had me considering progressing with ortho k lenses. But this didn’t happen due to a variety of potential issues, mainly large pupils causing halos at night.

Have tried contacts now, mono vision (bloody awful), double varifocals (lacked clarity close up, mid and long range, too much compromise as no toric correction) and one toric, one vari (again still not as good at distance or reading as I currently can manage)

I’m now researching a corneal replacement or Lasik/Lasek. Quite like the idea of complete replacement as no need for any glasses, but it is expensive!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Interested to read this thread. I searched for it because I'm wearing diagnostic daily disposable multifocals at the moment; the concentric circular band type. I hadn't worn contacts for many years (not in the present century). They're easy to put in, a bit of a bugger to get out again but the most unfortunate thing is that for my eyes at least they don't seem to work in multifocal mode - they work well for short distances, hence great for looking at a watch, a cocktail menu or a phone, or a bike computer. But I can't get them to improve the view to the distance no matter how I tilt my head or swivel my eyes. Very much like having single vision reading glasses on.