closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Millennial Job Interview

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

A Millennial Job Interview

... Little OTT perhaps, but oh so recognisable...

https://youtu.be/Uo0KjdDJr1c

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Oh dear, I think I'm the old bloke
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    HAHA, wouldn't be surprised if that happens these days.

Blog Entries
    Funny thing is: my wife received this video on her Linked-in account; sent to her by an old friend from the uni. She (my wife) told me that there were 30 reactions under the video. All in the style we see above: more or less the

[QUOTE]A good example of what an old, moaning baby boomer assumes young people are like, probably.[/QUOTE] -version

vs. the

[QUOTE]Oh dear, I think I'm the old bloke[/QUOTE]- version

(*somehow my 'quote-button' doesn't work)

Master
    Blog Entries
    A good example of what an old, moaning baby boomer assumes young people are like, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    A good example of what an old, moaning baby boomer assumes young people are like, probably.
    Yes, but millenials’ opinions won’t count until they actually get out of bed and achieve something.

I have a team of ‘millenials’ in Bulgaria and fortunately they are not like that.

The fact that BG is +2 hours may be a factor though, my 07:30 is 09:30 for them
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    What puzzles me is the fact that a lot of people take it so seriously - and feel 'hurt'.

This is a 21st Century example of a sketch like there were tons of in the 80s and 90s. Small sketches with OTT acting and subjects. 'Not The Nine O'Clock News', 'Saterday Night Live' and satire with Hugh Laurie - Just to name a few. People had a good laugh or turned off their TV. They didn't feel hurt or offended.

Menno

What puzzles me is the fact that a lot of people take it so seriously - and feel 'hurt'.

This is a 21st Century example of a sketch like there were tons of in the 80s and 90s. Small sketches with OTT acting and subjects. 'Not The Nine O'Clock News', 'Saterday Night Live' and satire with Hugh Laurie - Just to name a few. People had a good laugh or turned off their TV. They didn't feel hurt or offended.

Menno
    Agreed.
    I wonder if it's a sideffect of the wholesale infantalisation and electronic "grooming" by social media, some folks are growing up with only a limited/curtailed interaction with the "real" world via the much less intense reality of their phone filter. Despite the hype/double speak of greater connectivity and empowerment the tech was supposed to provide it's actually led people more deeply into their own little bubble worlds/echo chambers, just a thought. Oh and not to forget the deliberately engineered addictive dopamine hit via "likes".

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Agreed.
    I wonder if it's a sideffect of the wholesale infantalisation and electronic "grooming" by social media, some folks are growing up with only a limited/curtailed interaction with the "real" world via the much less intense reality of their phone filter. Despite the hype/double speak of greater connectivity and empowerment the tech was supposed to provide it's actually led people more deeply into their own little bubble worlds/echo chambers, just a thought. Oh and not to forget the deliberately engineered addictive dopamine hit via "likes".

I don't think there's much real difference in recent generations. The current (snowflake) generation just has a platform to say anything, at any time, to anyone who's listening/reading. Whereas in previous generations they mostly kept theirs mouth shut because it wasn't either socially excepted to share your feelings, or their wasn't an anonymous platform to do.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don't think there's much real difference in recent generations. The current (snowflake) generation just has a platform to say anything, at any time, to anyone who's listening/reading. Whereas in previous generations they mostly kept theirs mouth shut because it wasn't either socially excepted to share your feelings, or their wasn't an anonymous platform to do.
    Maybe, but if conciousness forms reality from information received and some folks primary source of information is now via an electronic platform which lacks the range of sensory input previous generations enjoyed isn't there a real possibility of changing their sense of reality and hence their behaviour.
    I readily admit I don't know/ could well be talking nonsense. And I haven't owned a mobile let alone a smartphone for about 8 years now so can only base this on what I "see" around me, so could will be displaying/experiencing a personal bias or my own ludditism tbf.
    Last edited by Passenger; 11th September 2018 at 10:49.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    The current (snowflake) generation just has a platform to say anything, at any time, to anyone who's listening/reading. Whereas in previous generations they mostly kept theirs mouth shut because it wasn't either socially excepted to share your feelings, or their wasn't an anonymous platform to do.
    That’s not a generational thing. Social media has given people of all ages a platform to voice their unwanted opinions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Agreed.
    + 1

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I have a team of ‘millenials’ in Bulgaria and fortunately they are not like that.
    Yup, it’s a lazy and inaccurate trope.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuzz View Post
    It's a joke (sense of humour)..................

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It's a joke (sense of humour)..................
    Millenials don’t have a sense of humour.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Millenials don’t have a sense of humour.
    You think?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuzz View Post
    You should spend some time in the higher education sector...

Rumour of a remake with fidget spinners to update it...

Omg! Omg! Omg! It's like Marketing dpt in my old outfit personified
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

OK it’s a sketch, mildly funny. Actually as an oldie working in technology but with millennial kids I found it thought provoking.

She’s mocked for not having technology skills because she doesn’t know Powerpoint etc., only Snapchat and social media etc. For employability she actually has her priorities right.

For research she says she will use Siri. OK a bit of a stretch but information is increasingly being provided through AI-supported tools, research and analytics platforms, natural language search and chatbots. I’d ask Watson or Deep Mind would be a good answer. I’d spend days trawling through reports and websites would be a bad answer.

She doesn’t want to be in the office at 8. Most of the millenials I know work far longer hours than I ever did at their age, encouraged by 24/7 communications. How many oldies here used to spend Sunday afternoon working on finalising a marketing campaign when they were 23?

She might need a ‘mental health day’. Office work to me seems infinitely more stressful, especially for young people, than it was 30 years ago. And that is on the back of public exams most years from when they are 5 - 21. Of course she could have just gone and had a few pints in the pub like we did (how did that work out?), but lunch is at your desk and anyway drinking during working hours is frowned on.

I know I sound like I’m taking it too seriously, actually I thought it pulled its punches a bit, but I thought the joke was on him as much as her.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    OK it’s a sketch, mildly funny. Actually as an oldie working in technology but with millennial kids I found it thought provoking.

She’s mocked for not having technology skills because she doesn’t know Powerpoint etc., only Snapchat and social media etc. For employability she actually has her priorities right.

For research she says she will use Siri. OK a bit of a stretch but information is increasingly being provided through AI-supported tools, research and analytics platforms, natural language search and chatbots. I’d ask Watson or Deep Mind would be a good answer. I’d spend days trawling through reports and websites would be a bad answer.

She doesn’t want to be in the office at 8. Most of the millenials I know work far longer hours than I ever did at their age, encouraged by 24/7 communications. How many oldies here used to spend Sunday afternoon working on finalising a marketing campaign when they were 23?

She might need a ‘mental health day’. Office work to me seems infinitely more stressful, especially for young people, than it was 30 years ago. And that is on the back of public exams most years from when they are 5 - 21. Of course she could have just gone and had a few pints in the pub like we did (how did that work out?), but lunch is at your desk and anyway drinking during working hours is frowned on.

I know I sound like I’m taking it too seriously, actually I thought it pulled its punches a bit, but I thought the joke was on him as much as her.
    Never, but then again I manage my time better and work smart to have a decent work life balance in my favour, and I manage to get out for lunch every day.

Mental health day? What nonsense is this? You can either cut it or you can’t, there’s so much snowflake pandering these days. Can’t do the job I’ll just get someone who can, simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Never, but then again I manage my time better and work smart to have a decent work life balance in my favour, and I manage to get out for lunch every day.

Mental health day? What nonsense is this? You can either cut it or you can’t, there’s so much snowflake pandering these days. Can’t do the job I’ll just get someone who can, simple really.
    Good to hear that you have done so well. I hope you have been able to pass on what you have learned to the next generation coming through.

Master
    The girl I sat next to in my previous job was like that girl. Left early every day because she came in early (spent the first hour of the day doing her make up at her desk and making coffee). Wasn't great with the software required for the job and had several days off a month for anxiety.

Despite all this she was a great laugh, really brought a bit of life to the place and in all honesty I miss working with her.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    The girl I sat next to in my previous job was like that girl. Left early every day because she came in early (spent the first hour of the day doing her make up at her desk and making coffee). Wasn't great with the software required for the job and had several days off a month for anxiety.

Despite all this she was a great laugh, really brought a bit of life to the place and in all honesty I miss working with her.

Sounds fit.

Master
    She was a solid 7

if i had got into £50k of debt for a degree with no prospect of ever owning a property due to sky high prices and zero wage growth and an ever growing wealth gap i don't think i would want to start at 8 either.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    if i had got into £50k of debt for a degree with no prospect of ever owning a property due to sky high prices and zero wage growth and an ever growing wealth gap i don't think i would want to start at 8 either.
    Getting in to that much debt is a lifestyle choice, nobody is forced to uni nor are they forced to take student loans.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Yes, of course it would be much better to start later in the day, if you felt like it and worked 2 maybe 3 days a week, but that’s not going to get you anywhere.

Their choice to go to uni, they should have studied something worthwhile

Yes, of course it would be much better to start later in the day, if you felt like it and worked 2 maybe 3 days a week, but that’s not going to get you anywhere.

Their choice to go to uni, they should have studied something worthwhile
    what is working 2-3 days a week got to do with it? or studying something “worthwhile” i studied photography, should i have gone straight to doing charity work as i wasn’t academic enough to do medicine and try and find a cure for cancer?

i wouldn’t want to start early for peanuts but then i wouldn’t want to start late for peanuts either! having done some crappy jobs in my youth i did my utmost to make sure i didn’t get stuck shovelling chicken shite. i still think they have it harder now in some ways (previous post) but easier in other ways where the internet can help you broaden your horizons or learn new skills or get yourself noticed.

funny thing is i’m somebody who has been determined to not work late and be efficient but on wednesday i was on a film set (cosmetics commercial) with a 7:30am call time and a 11pm finish. billing more in a day than the national average weekly wage put that into perspective though.

in short, work hard, work smart, make yourself useful, don't expect it on a plate.

Socrates 469-399 BC :
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Thankfully the millennial generation seems to be, on the whole, a kinder one than the values you demonstrate with that comment.

God forbid you should have a son, daughter, family member, friend or colleague with a serious, debilitating mental health condition.

What is more, maybe you'd like to consider all of the ex servicemen suffering from a host of mental health conditions like PTSD. Would you throw them into the bracket of '...not being able to cut it'?

If the millennial generation are more sensitive and quick to offend than previous ones, I'd suggest this is a small price to pay for a society where serious issues can be discussed openly and with empathy, where people with differences and difficulties can feel comfortable and where opinions like your's are less and less acceptable.
    Last edited by CamCG; 14th September 2018 at 18:41.

Master
    The funniest part of that video is when the old fart regards Word, Excel and publisher as "technology".

Do people still use them?

Grand Master
    The funniest part of that video is when the old fart regards Word, Excel and publisher as "technology".

Yes, I still use them and I regard them as 'technology'. Don`t know how old you are, but those of us who recall a time without these capabilities still marvel at them. I dislike technology for it's own sake, that's pointless to me, but where the technology provides a useful capability that didn`t exist before then I think it's great. The original mobile phones appealed because they provided a real breakthrough, being able to phone someone from anywhere was a real novelty, but the idea of a 'smarter' latest version phone doesn`t grab me at all.

Master

Don’t know where you work, but walk into any office all 3 are extensively used by most

Master
    Don’t know where you work, but walk into any office all 3 are extensively used by most
    I work in a technology centre for a large bank creating software to enable people to do their jobs.

I work in a technology centre for a large bank creating software to enable people to do their jobs.

Interesting. Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, another and they don’t use SAP, Oracle, MS Office, Google Docs/Sheets/Slides at all? So what is used for all the boring stuff like business cases, gateway approval, specifications, the horror of project updates, reports, plans, analyses, options appraisals and other guff that you have to do in banks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

The funniest part of your reply is your assertion that anything older than last week can't be referred to as "technology".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    The funniest part of your reply is your assertion that anything older than last week can't be referred to as "technology".
    Not without putting the word "old" in front.

I think the double irony in the video is being missed by those identifying with the baby-boomer. A millennials definition of technology is very different from a baby boomers. The millennial will regard office packages as basic stuff that a child could use where the baby boomer regards the skills to operate such packages as a highly regarded skill.
    Last edited by mowflow; 14th September 2018 at 18:30.

Master
    Not without putting the word "old" in front.

I think the double irony in the video is being missed by those identifying with the baby-boomer. A millennials definition of technology is very different from a baby boomers. The millennial will regard office packages as basic stuff that a child could use where the baby boomer regards the skills to operate such packages as a highly regarded skill.

I'm not sure snapchatting is not too hard or taxing really, The millennials in our (tech company) office struggle with anything that's not an app on their phone. And not too badly done by on the salary front either, at £45k a year for a 23 year old with a dodgy degree from a made up university. It must be stressful for them, though, which I suppose is why one of them has had a full month off sick in the first year. Metal health month, probably, caused by a nasty baby boomer asking them to use office* applications for actual work.

* Must be a couple of old crusties still using Office

Don't people use Lotus 1-2-3 and Word Pro anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Apple writer? Wordstar? 🤣
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Apple writer? Wordstar? 藍
    Have to look those up on Netscape Navigator.

Have to look those up on Netscape Navigator.
    Is that the paid for licence version? Apparently one day people will be giving away web browsers.

A Millennial Job Interview

You’ve reminded me of Lotus Notes! The horror, the horror! Mind you I remember IT being a form you filled in with loads of boxes where you wrote in code numbers from a library of code books in your overhead cabinet and a week later you got a business document back from DP that invariably needed correcting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't be silly, we've moved onto Visicalc!

M

If in doubt I just ask Connie