closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Havana

Havana

I know there's plenty of well travelled folk on here so I thought I'd ask for some advice. I'm off to Havana in November and have a few questions. Which currency should I take - pounds or dollars? Is the convertible peso the one to use there?
    Finally any recommendations for stuff to do? It's me and my early 20's kids (neither who drink alas) so anything slightly off the usual tourist trails would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you are in Havana between 21 and 24 November I'll meet you for a Mojito.

USD is far more useful than GBP but there are a fair few ATMs around these days, including as soon as you arrive at the airport. The ones in the terminal tend to have long queues but there are a couple more in the concourse across the road. I just withdraw CUC on arrival.

There are a few tips here, have a read: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ny-Tips-please!

And a bunch of photographs and other info here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?343212-Havana

Cheers, Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

USD is far more useful than GBP but there are a fair few ATMs around these days, including as soon as you arrive at the airport. The ones in the terminal tend to have long queues but there are a couple more in the concourse across the road. I just withdraw CUC on arrival.
    I've been looking into visiting and read best not to take USD as there's extra commission to pay. Is that old advice, have things changed (or they're used unofficially)?

If you are staying in a hotel, there will be a Cubanacan (State tourist company) representative handy. Ask about excursions - cigar factory, rum distillery, sugar cane plantation, day trip to Che Guevara's museum/mausoleum, etc. All well worth doing and the trips are exceptionally well organised with a fluent, knowledgeable, good-humoured guide and often with lunch in a nice place in the price.

Thanks Matthew much appreciated, I'm there in the first week and a half of November so unfortunately can't make the Mojito - shame as I'm stuck with two teetotal types

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I've been looking into visiting and read best not to take USD as there's extra commission to pay. Is that old advice, have things changed (or they're used unofficially)?
    Aha, usefulness doesn't necessarily equate with best value.

US Dollars are accepted almost everywhere but although the rate is nominally 1:1 you will get stung with the 10% penalty. You will get a better rate for Euros or Pounds but only in the hotel or exchange booth so if you get caught out in a local bar or cafe without enough CUC to pay then dollars can come in handy. In truth a mixture is probably the best balance, although I nearly always get enough funds in CUC from an ATM using either Visa or Mastercard.

Quote Originally Posted by lewismark View Post
    Thanks Matthew much appreciated, I'm there in the first week and a half of November so unfortunately can't make the Mojito - shame as I'm stuck with two teetotal types
    That's a shame, I know a few pleasant and very affordable watering holes

It was a while ago that we went but highlights included a private walking tour with a local student which was a fantastic way to spend six hours exploring various neighbourhoods and a carriage tour . The second one was a tourist trap but turned out really well , so much so that we asked her to come back for us next day .
    A truly wonderful place.