timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: My summer 2018 adventure in pics - update, Romania

  1. #1

    My summer 2018 adventure in pics - update, Romania

    I've had one heck of a summer travelling around, unfortunately it is all coming to an end tomorrow when I get back to the UK, but such is life. I was fortunate enough to pretty much have the summer free - I have over the last year started my own tech startup and a combination of events meant we didn't have too much work to do over the summer months - I'll shamelessly plug my startup http://www.takemeaway.io

    So I took the opportunity to go travelling. I started off in Budapest, Hungary and eventually worked my way to Baku, Azerbaijan over a 9 week period. I also wanted to do a fair bit of trekking and hiking so that meant keeping weight at a manageable level. For photography purposes that meant only carrying around my Ricoh GR - I like the 28mm focal length and for the size, it really delivers excellent IQ. Fingers crossed we'll see a GR III at Photokina next month.

    For the startup I need to also blog about my journey for content; first part here if anyone is interested - https://blog.takemeaway.io/discoveri...rt-1-budapest/ and thats a good prompt to get me off my ass and sort and process my photos quicker than I normally would. I'm only using the lightweight Lightroom CC (not to be confused with the Classic) and using a quicker workflow to process pictures. I'm still refining and contemplating to reprocess the select few on the proper computer. Lets see.

    For now I'll start with a selection from Hungary - some from Budapest and a few from Lake Balaton in the south of the country. I'll update this thread as I continue to process and with more explanations (I think I have over 3k photos to get through....). The full set is available on my Flickr page


    A glimpse of the Danube


    Chilling on the steps



    Some nice architectural details


    A clash of cultures



    Caught the thrashing of Panama too


    A view of the lake I


    benches in the sun


    Reflections


    A view of the lake II

    I post this in the Photography forum also for some feedback, so let me know your thoughts
    Last edited by crazyp; 19th September 2018 at 14:20.

  2. #2
    Craftsman mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    905
    Nice pics P, I haven't been to Prague but I need to. Any shots from Azerbaijan, I have good memories from my work visits there?

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Nice pics P, I haven't been to Prague but I need to. Any shots from Azerbaijan, I have good memories from my work visits there?

    Cheers
    Jup, I'll be updating this thread with the other places as I process them! Azerbaijan was at the end, so give me a week or two :)

  4. #4
    Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Posts
    7,289
    Great stuff! There are some places that I'm very familiar with in those images, happy memories...

    Looking forward to further updates.

    Cheers, Matthew

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    267
    What absolutely stunning pictures!

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    29,174
    Great to see pics from foreign places, thanks for sharing! Re feedback, although photography is a hobby of mine I don't take a DSLR and associated gear on holiday. I take my G12 and a very light tripod, shoot in RAW, and snap away. If I have any decent shots then the RAW allows for some later adjustments if need be. The tripod is a Tamron Zipshot, very light and compact, looks spindly, but when splayed and with the camera on timed release it works very well. Keep the pics coming.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Great to see pics from foreign places, thanks for sharing! Re feedback, although photography is a hobby of mine I don't take a DSLR and associated gear on holiday. I take my G12 and a very light tripod, shoot in RAW, and snap away. If I have any decent shots then the RAW allows for some later adjustments if need be. The tripod is a Tamron Zipshot, very light and compact, looks spindly, but when splayed and with the camera on timed release it works very well. Keep the pics coming.
    Weight was a premium - through the treks, I wanted a maximum of 15/16 kg including water. I had a small bag left at guesthouses when too which contained a few items. So even a tripod would have possibly have broken the weight budget!

    The GR is almost perfect - cracking IQ and RAW files with good latitude. If there is a GR III in the coming months, of it had a better low light capabilities and even IBIS to pull an extra stop or so, I'd be in compact heaven. I can live with 28mm, smartphones have conditioned us for this even more so. Actually I should add - phones are so useful, sometimes it's the only camera you have. O still need to go through the files on my phone (mostly used for my IG uploads...)

  8. #8
    Very nice pics and lovely places you've been to! I had a GRII for a few months - it's a great little camera for street photography and just so light. Please post more pics if you get a chance.

  9. #9
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    29,174
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Weight was a premium - through the treks, I wanted a maximum of 15/16 kg including water. I had a small bag left at guesthouses when too which contained a few items. So even a tripod would have possibly have broken the weight budget!

    The GR is almost perfect - cracking IQ and RAW files with good latitude. If there is a GR III in the coming months, of it had a better low light capabilities and even IBIS to pull an extra stop or so, I'd be in compact heaven. I can live with 28mm, smartphones have conditioned us for this even more so. Actually I should add - phones are so useful, sometimes it's the only camera you have. O still need to go through the files on my phone (mostly used for my IG uploads...)
    Although the Tamron tripod only weighs 11oz I know from backpacking and cycle touring that lots of individual "light things" soon become heavy! Re a GRIII, Photokina is on from 26-29th of this month so there's a decent chance it'll be announced there if there is to be one.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Although the Tamron tripod only weighs 11oz I know from backpacking and cycle touring that lots of individual "light things" soon become heavy! Re a GRIII, Photokina is on from 26-29th of this month so there's a decent chance it'll be announced there if there is to be one.
    Jup! I will see if I have a pic of one such cyclist, who's weight went up to 30kg....so much crap too!

    Lots of unsubstantiated rumours about a possible GRIII, fingers crossed however!

  11. #11
    Master raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sunstroke capital,Cyprus
    Posts
    2,496
    Thanks for sharing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Grand Master VDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    17,639
    That's some holiday alright. Looking forward to the updates, if you would consider embedding a slightly bigger images that would improve visual appearance of the thread IMO.

    PS on second thought the images may appear shrunk do to the in-post advert..
    Last edited by VDG; 15th September 2018 at 16:53.
    AVDACES FORTVNA IVVAT

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    That's some holiday alright. Looking forward to the updates, if you would consider embedding a slightly bigger images that would improve visual appearance of the thread IMO.

    PS on second thought the images may appear shrunk do to the in-post advert..
    Thanks! In the middle of finishing the next batch - i'll size them slightly up and see how it looks. But indeed the in post ads are currently reeking havoc which isn't good!

  14. #14

    Update - next leg, Romania

    Managed to get through the Romania batch!

    I've previously visited Bucharest last year (admittedly a stag do....) and was pushed by Romanian friends to visit other parts of the country. The hiking theme kicked into gear here - mainly day hikes, but some punishing days - 25-35km days. Unfortunately the weather was not on my side, so didn't do nearly as much as I would have liked in the 10 days I was in country. That included missing out on the main two ranges - Bucegi and Fegaras. So an excuse to go back I guess!

    Didn't spend much in the towns, so mostly mountain pics here - challenging when curating to ensure not too many 'same' pics. Dracula's castle was a let down sadly, but hey ho! I'm also not convinced with editing using the 'Lightroom CC' - i.e. the Lightroom designed to be used on the go. The results are a bit inconsistent and I will likely go through these again in proper Lightroom most likely. Uploaded at higher resolution, though Flickr is really a nightmare......

    Full album here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/125049...h/29842759077/

    Heading up to a mountain lake in the Retezat range, a few snaps on the way up -







    This lake, one of my favourites -



    Peering through the woods -



    Love this photo below - the light was amazing. But not quite happy with the processing, will be redone at some point....



    Abandoned farm house






    The above 2 'Dracula's castle' - dreary day and overall a bit disappointing....


    Last pic above - at the high point of the Transalpina highway - really cracking road to drive

    From here it was to Istanbul and Turkey for 3 weeks, so lots to process and curate! Will break that up over a few posts....

  15. #15
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    29,174
    Great additions! The abandoned farmhouse is a cracking shot!

  16. #16
    Master Tokyo Tokei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Laniakea Suburbs
    Posts
    4,884
    Enjoying these pictures, looks like a fantastic trip. Very sharp and detailed photos, the GR (and the bloke at the wheel) are doing a great job. On which subject, good luck with the startup too - maybe some travel opportunities still?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Great additions! The abandoned farmhouse is a cracking shot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Enjoying these pictures, looks like a fantastic trip. Very sharp and detailed photos, the GR (and the bloke at the wheel) are doing a great job. On which subject, good luck with the startup too - maybe some travel opportunities still?
    Appreciate the comments chaps! The GR really is a wonderful camera; small and discreet. However it does need updating. Ideally to the 24MP sensor, better focusing speeds and a massive improvement on low light shots - the files clean up ok, but they do lose detail and 1600 is the absolute max I'd use. If I get time I'll post an indoor shot where the file is a bit pushed; actually I may need the full computer to get a half decent result as this Lightroom mobile continues to show its limitations. I don't think a bigger sensor is required a la Leica Q, APSC is certainly fine IMO.

    I think I got more used to 28mm after Romania - Hungary and Romania were only a small portion of the trip. But I did miss a slightly longer focal length in cities, I prefer reach in a more street environment. For the outdoors, as long as you compose a bit carefully and keep some interesting foreground detail you don't really need more. That was until I wanted to take some shots of eagles - total fail

  18. #18
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    whitstable, kent
    Posts
    250
    Great shots!

    Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •