closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm having doubts about watches :/

I'm having doubts about watches :/

Lately i'm looking at them and I think it's an obsolete tecnology and there is no need for it other than being an accessory. And being an accessory at this point you just want to show off to people so the only good one are the one that people are impressed with... high end swiss made. I was obsessed with automatic watches.... but at the moment my passion for them is at the lowest point ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankan87 View Post
    Lately i'm looking at them and I think it's an obsolete tecnology and there is no need for it other than being an accessory. And being an accessory at this point you just want to show off to people so the only good one are the one that people are impressed with... high end swiss made. I was obsessed with automatic watches.... but at the moment my passion for them is at the lowest point ever.
    Possibly the very worst place you could air this view.

Simple solution - don't wear one, sell any you have at a price that reflects how "obsolete" they are and leave any watch forums you're a member of.

I urge people not to bite at this thread but l fear its a waste of my time - post it and they will come...

It happens. You’ll survive.

Journeyman
    Maybe a "way out there" suggestion, but sell up everything and go watchless for a while. If you miss it, you'll come back. If not, no Biggie. As time goes by, people change and evolve, not all hobbies last forever.

Master
    Not the passion for you then.......... move along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Definitely consider paring back, I think it's one of those things you can come around again on though.

Master
    Okey dokey. Thanks for that...

Journeyman
    I love how everyone takes personal offence at these things

When was your passion for them at its highest point and which watches got you to that point?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    You are the brand manager for Cartier UK and I claim my prize.

If you have a Daytona, I'm your buyer

So why are you here?

Master
    Now is when you join timezone...

Craftsman
    I think if the OP had been a bit less apathetic in the wording we could've had a good discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    If you have a Daytona, I'm your buyer
    If you’ve got a white one I’ll swap ya !

Master

Done!!

I’ve had some ups and downs over the years when it comes to watches and the strength of my interest but that’s always down to a lack of disposable income or an increase in disposable income!!
    If I ever got to a point where I felt that they were just an accessory and obsolete I would have reached the point of no return and I’m clearly not a watch person, it’s simple!!
    It’s not for everyone and the depths my obsession goes to has never really diminished just softened during lack of funds as stated above but I’ve never ever questioned the need or want for a watch? I want them all and also need them all!!!

I would say you maybe started by looking for a hobby or interest and that was sparked by the usual fascination with the intricate workings of an auto movement but like many hobbies if it starts to feel stale after this initial excitement then it’s just not for you!!
    I would suggest trying a new hobby or interest as watches are simple you either love them and get a bit obsessed or have one and it carries out a function which is where most people fall into!!

Enjoy your next hobby anyway!

Chris

Craftsman
    So take a break from them, stop reading this forum and sell off what you don’t want. It’s not a life or death decision!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This is the nature of hobbies: ebbs and flows.

It's definitely a less functional pastime in the modern world of constant time sources.

Master
    They're a complete waste of money. It's a ridiculous hobby.

That said... I can't help myself.

Master
    Over the years, my passion for watches is sometimes intense and then nothing, absolutely zero interest, for months or years. But it comes back at some point. Ultimately its the appreciation for the engineering and technology which brings me back. Mechanical watches are the height of "retro". Retro is inspired by past quality and aesthetic design. Rolex are wonderful examples of retro and are probably so popular because their models hark back to the 20th century and are still available. Same with many manufacturers.

If you could afford it, would you rather drive a retro Roller or a Nissan Duster?

Another example: Vinyl or MP3?

PS to the OP. If you've got any old watches you don't want, just send them over.
    Last edited by Tiny; 6th September 2018 at 23:02.

Guys don't take it so personal... I'm not a vegan protesting infront of a butcher... I'm a passionate guy who is witnessing his passion fade away. I want to share my experience and see if there is other people with the same problem.
    What is in my collection is irrelevant (I hope), otherwise my fear is justified... because then it's only important if it's exclusive and expensive. A challenge of who has it bigger.

Journeyman
    Guys don't take it so personal... I'm not a vegan protesting infront of a butcher... I'm a passionate guy who is witnessing his passion fade away. I want to share my experience and see if there is other people with the same problem.
    What is in my collection is irrelevant (I hope), otherwise my fear is justified... because then it's only important if it's exclusive and expensive. A challenge of who has it bigger.
    Can’t say I identify with this problem in any way shape or form...there’s always another beauty coming along to completely hook you back into the watch game. Wait for next year’s SIHH or (swatchless) Baselworld and I’m pretty sure something will tickle your fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    My advice to the OP is simple........suit yourself buddy!

If you’re bored with watches that’s your decision, can’t see the point in posting about it on this forum.

When you’ve had enough of the party it’s good form to leave quietly, why bother making a fuss and telling everyone?

For what it’s worth I love the technology of mechanical watches, I also love cars from the 60s/70s and I’m quite partial to listening to music on vinyl played on a classic Thorens turntable............with all these things you either get it or you don’t, the technology's been surpassed by progress but that doesn’t detract from the appeal.

Like I said, you either get it or you don’t.

Master
    I’m going to take a stab in the dark here and I’m going to say you have become slightly bitter because you can’t obtain the watches you lust after because of your financial position.

I’ve been there myself with rolex - I’ve wanted a Sky dweller badly, a golf yaxhtmaster etc

Then I think ah well only idiot show offs have them anyway, only people who have no real clue buy them etc etc.

But really I just wish I had more money and I’d buy them in an instant !!!

Why all the big words like "Passion", "Obsessed", "Intense" we are talking about watches here right? I mean I LIKE my watches and really enjoy them but not to the level it obsesses me or I feel intense passion for them..

Saying that, my birth year Speedy gives me a twinge..

Master
    I don't love watches to show off, it's a very personal thing to me a 'feeling' of need/desire/personal, if you will. I don't care about people noticing what I wear on my wrist, or wear one to be noticed. As for obsolete technology you're barking up the wrong tree really. Take a look at some of the 'haute horologie' watches that have been produced in the last decade and you should be amazed; I am. It's easy with a micro-chip thingy to produce a timekeeper with amazing accuracy, oodles of functions, and very cheaply. The watchmaker that can create not only a thing of beauty, but amazing micro-engineered complications that really only a handful of people in the world can create is truly amazing. If you're having doubts, watches never really were for you IMO, it was just a passing interest. Perhaps you can find some other interest that will fulfill your desires, and could stay with you for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Why all the big words like "Passion", "Obsessed", "Intense" we are talking about watches here right? I mean I LIKE my watches and really enjoy them but not to the level it obsesses me or I feel intense passion for them..

Saying that, my birth year Speedy gives me a twinge..
    I have been watching daily for months various youtube channels about watches, and I work in a high end enviroment where I have every month hundreds of customers that are millioners that visit my venue and we always talk about watches. I have seen and held watches that cost more than my flat. I think that I have been way too in love with them, and now that I'm questioning this passion I really feel sad. I'm sorry if I bother someone with this post but I wanted to write something just to feel better, to have a dialogue.

I have been watching daily for months various youtube channels about watches, and I work in a high end enviroment where I have every month hundreds of customers that are millioners that visit my venue and we always talk about watches. I have seen and held watches that cost more than my flat. I think that I have been way too in love with them, and now that I'm questioning this passion I really feel sad. I'm sorry if I bother someone with this post but I wanted to write something just to feel better, to have a dialogue.

Well, going by that post you may well be up for some more disappointment and sadness as life goes on..

Each to their own. Maybe sell a couple and see if you miss them?

Much like collecting vintage cars, bikes, etc the lack of modern technology makes them charming

If the passion has gone at least they're easy to sell. Invest in something that will make you happier.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Feel a bit sorry for you really, personally the fact that I can tell the time is secondary to the constant wonder of how these tiny masterpieces of engineering take over. I have been like this since 1965 so prob never going to change.

Journeyman
    Sorry to hear you feel that way, mate.

Master
    Obsolete? I like being able to know the time without keeping a phone on me, or running home to plug said phone into the wall :)

Quote Originally Posted by watchfan_66 View Post
    I empathise with the OP. I too get like this from time to time and I see his/your posting as more of a question as to why, maybe, you are feeling like this perhaps?

Watch 'obsession' is a weird hobby really. To most people a watch is simply a tool to tell the time but for many of us it's far more than that. I think one's own state of mind (holistically) will affect the hobby and the passion that goes with it and, to some extent, puts things in to perspective ..eg. I personally don't get why football fans get so uptight when their team loses but consoling them with a "don't worry mate, it's only a game" gets a very angry response. Does anyone need more than one watch? - of course not, but we all know that quite often time-keeping isn't usually the primary reason for wanting/owning.

I have recently gone through a bereavement and my passion for (let alone time for) them has plummeted; watches for me recently have not been a priority but I know when I have more (happier) thinking/day-dreaming time the interest will again resume.

I'm not sure in particular why watches appeal so much but I do know that the OP may have lost interest for a while but it's highly likely that the passion will return. Don't flog your collection just yet.

Thank you for your answer! Probably I wrongly worded my feelings but this is the kind of answer I was looking for. I'm really sorry for your loss.

I'm losing some enthusiasm too - I wouldn't worry abut it, they're only trinkets. Why not buy yourself a smart watch, and then see how you feel in a few weeks/months?

There are far, far more important things in life, and priorities change.

OP I think I understand where you're coming from and it's okay, a few of us don't feel the need, or have to wear a watch everyday, or invest in a safe to store them in, we don't spend our journey to work trying to see what watches other blokes are wearing, nor do we ring endless AD's trying to secure the latest 'must have' Rolex or Speedmaster, we wouldn't consider paying way over the odds simply to hide the thing away not daring to lose a sticker or hang tag nor be afraid to take that amazing tech diving watch anywhere near water, they are after all only watches, trinkets, baubles, sat in a safe they wont save a starving child and however long you look at them they can't turn back time itself because it just keeps ticking away.
    A watch is an accessory, It can help in many sports, is essential in some jobs but not all, quality time with family and friends isn't measured with a watch, it will still slip through your fingers whatever the value of the bauble strapped to your wrist.

Good luck wherever your journey takes you, me, I wear them when I want and don't when I can't be arsed, I've never considered watches a hobby, I just happen to own a few and enjoy reading about them from time to time, they're not my life, passion or obsession.

All the best.

n2.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Sorry to hear you are having doubts - I’m sure it will pass. I’m at a stage where I want to stop accumulating, and trim my number of watches to a regularly wearable collection of watches that I really love. This helps the justification of having them, which you possibly need to a degree if you have other commitments. A lack of guilt helps the passion. It’s not completely obsolete technology, otherwise the quartz crisis would have won out, and Smart watches would now rule (maybe they will). We know the shortcomings of mechanical watches, but it’s the marvel of a beautiful mechanical friend on your wrist that can help orientate you in your daily life with no reliance on electricity or a microchip. It’s like the romance of say a classic car like a DB5 or E-type. Beautiful machines.
    Where I think the obsession gets too much is when you start to think £30k plus, individual watches are somehow better and that’s where a line can drawn, for me anyway. Not saying I’m right - it’s just what I think. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I always wear long sleeves so most of the time no one can see my watch but it doesn’t stop me enjoying having one.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm losing some enthusiasm too - I wouldn't worry abut it, they're only trinkets. Why not buy yourself a smart watch, and then see how you feel in a few weeks/months?

There are far, far more important things in life, and priorities change.
    Smart watches scare me :D I'm kinda of a lazy guy, I know that if I buy one it would be so usefull and confortable that I will wear the other watches only on occasions.
    Probably the switch on focus from watches to real life priorities made me too thoughtful.
    Thank you for your answer!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    OP I think I understand where you're coming from and it's okay, a few of us don't feel the need, or have to wear a watch everyday, or invest in a safe to store them in, we don't spend our journey to work trying to see what watches other blokes are wearing, nor do we ring endless AD's trying to secure the latest 'must have' Rolex or Speedmaster, we wouldn't consider paying way over the odds simply to hide the thing away not daring to lose a sticker or hang tag nor be afraid to take that amazing tech diving watch anywhere near water, they are after all only watches, trinkets, baubles, sat in a safe they wont save a starving child and however long you look at them they can't turn back time itself because it just keeps ticking away.
    A watch is an accessory, It can help in many sports, is essential in some jobs but not all, quality time with family and friends isn't measured with a watch, it will still slip through your fingers whatever the value of the bauble strapped to your wrist.

Good luck wherever your journey takes you, me, I wear them when I want and don't when I can't be arsed, I've never considered watches a hobby, I just happen to own a few and enjoy reading about them from time to time, they're not my life, passion or obsession.

All the best.

n2.
    As I mention in the answer to learningtofly probably my mistake has been making it a focal point of my daytoday, forgettin what is really important, definitely as you mention the time with family and friends is precious! Thank you for your answer.

I think there is a wider issue. Generally when you feel less passion in one area, it's either because your passions have been raised in another, or overall you are feeling deflated/sad/depressed (whatever descriptor works best for you) etc. etc.

I think the lack of funds comment can be quite apt. Even large collectors will have times when they just can't buy the watches they want, or at the prices they want, so may feel less enthusiastic. But... There is a lot of fun, and quality to be had in the under £500 used market- I've bought Omega, Zenith and other well regarded brands for well under that amount in the last few years.

If I have no spare watch funds then I look at watches less, when I have more spare cash I might be more active in looking. Or at least that is how I used to be - now I'm on less waiting lists for new models and just occasionally try a new watch that takes my fancy from time to time.

I think that serial flippers tend to have more in the game. I've never really fell into that camp, as I come from a family of horders- just looking around the room there are watches everywhere at the minute!

The best thing to do when you have less passion for something is to stay away from it. If it comes back it will come back. But...

Coming onto a forum of enthusiasts can be a bit like having a really bad day and everyone you see is grinning and smiling at you while they wonder why you are looking so glum, and all "you" are thinking is how crazy "they" all look to you, and what the hell are they so bloody happy about! :)
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 7th September 2018 at 08:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Strebor View Post
    Sorry to hear you are having doubts - I’m sure it will pass. I’m at a stage where I want to stop accumulating, and trim my number of watches to a regularly wearable collection of watches that I really love. This helps the justification of having them, which you possibly need to a degree if you have other commitments. A lack of guilt helps the passion. It’s not completely obsolete technology, otherwise the quartz crisis would have won out, and Smart watches would now rule (maybe they will). We know the shortcomings of mechanical watches, but it’s the marvel of a beautiful mechanical friend on your wrist that can help orientate you in your daily life with no reliance on electricity or a microchip. It’s like the romance of say a classic car like a DB5 or E-type. Beautiful machines.
    Where I think the obsession gets too much is when you start to think £30k plus, individual watches are somehow better and that’s where a line can drawn, for me anyway. Not saying I’m right - it’s just what I think. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks to the job I do, I realized that money is just a number and very often is totally overated in the judgment of a situation.
    Of course if you get in to heavy debts because you are spending too much money it will affect your life and your relationship. I saw a guy punching with fierce a table while on his wrist was sitting a Bovet Virtuoso 4, but probably is not even into watches, he just bought it because of the price tag.

I don't think that the price would make you more obsessed than others. It's more about how much time you spend around this world.

Thanks to the job I do, I realized that money Isis have gone for the just a number and very often is totally overated in the judgment of a situation.
    Of course if you get in to heavy debts because you are spending too much money it will affect your life and your relationship. I saw a guy punching with fierce a table while on his wrist was sitting a Bovet Virtuoso 4, but probably is not even into watches, he just bought it because of the price tag.

I don't think that the price would make you more obsessed than others. It's more about how much time you spend around this world.
    I’d have gone for the III - much more bang for your buck

They are only watches. No-one died. If enthusiasm waned for the hobby then whatever, just means time for a new interest. You may return to the hobby - you may not but really there are more important things in life than shiny baubles. Have fun whatever route you take.

Not sure what the OP expects, so all I can say is...

I have no interest in vintage fishing reels or electric guitars, but I don't think I'll bother posting that on any fishing or guitar forums...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 7th September 2018 at 10:50.

Blog Entries
    To the OP oh dear never mind life goes on

Craftsman

All the best.

n2.
    This.

Blog Entries
    OP. There are only a couple of watches that are of significance to me. One used to belong to my father (the cheapest in my collection) The other I bought with the proceeds of the latest cheque to come from my mothers estate (the most expensive in my collection). I’m sure if my wife bought me one, that would become significant too.

I guess what I am saying is - it is up to you if any of your collection is significant to you in relation to those who were or are around you. No one else can make that happen.

I hope in a little way when I pass on my nearest and dearest may take any that they choose in rememberance of me.

Maybe it’s time to move on to a different hobby - collecting old shoe boxes, fishing, photography, whatever.

I think pastimes can ebb and flow. Personally I’ve never seen my interest in watches as a ‘hobby’, and having bought and sold my ‘grail watch’ numerous times over the last 25 years, I have to admit to no real interest in new watch releases in comparison to the past. However, I still enjoy the forum although the rampant interest in the latest massively overpriced (imho) bauble can seem a bit alien now I really seem to have lost that ‘bug’. I type this whilst wearing an Apple Watch which I find more pleasing than any Submariner I’ve owned in the past! The ‘old’ me would be shocked but I’ve changed, and other interests have taken over. It happens - no big deal

Craftsman

All the best.

n2.
    What a very eloquent post. That sums up watches for me pretty well too. And it's a good reminder to keep our strange little interest in perspective.

Blog Entries
    Peaks and troughs I’m afraid OP of the hobby/interest . Hope the interest is rekindled at some point. It always comes back one way or another lol

Sounds like moderate “burnout.” Just relax and enjoy the watches you have, or one watch, take a breather from all the immersion and obsession, and the passion will likely return.