timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice please

Master

Advice please

My daughter has started a photography course at college and after some advice on what is the best dslr camera to start up with. Not got lots of money to spend maybe looking at second hand with a couple of lenses
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Secondhand Nikon D90 would be suitable. Start of with a 50mm f1.8 prime. Great inexpensive lens to learn the principles. Not being able to zoom letís you concentrate on things like composition and creativity and the large aperture letís you get creative with low light handheld and depth of field.

Iíd almost be tempted to go back in time to a D60 for a beginner as it has a great function on the rear display that visualises the aperture and speed. Great for helping beginners understand the concepts.

Does it have to be a DSLR or could a mirrorless M4/3 work for her?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Does it have to be a DSLR or could a mirrorless M4/3 work for her?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Iím not sure as itís her 3rd day and the college mentioned dslr

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sticko View Post
    Secondhand Nikon D90 would be suitable. Start of with a 50mm f1.8 prime. Great inexpensive lens to learn the principles.
    Good advice.
    I loved my D90 and only really moved on because of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). They are still readily available - I see that mpb (who I can recommend for second hand kit) have some at about £70.

And the 50mm 1.8 is a cracker and amazing value. About £110 new and £70 used.

Nikon D90 is a great choice with either a used 50 f1.8 or used 35 f1.8.

Another camera I would recommend, although used prices are still not dropping, is the original Fuji X100. It's smaller, lighter, and is great for learning about exposure with it's manual controls.

Craftsman
    Coming from an arts uni background I'm pretty sure you'll need to stick to DSLR's as that's the kit they'll be using there!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Nikon D90 is a great choice with either a used 50 f1.8 or used 35 f1.8.

Another camera I would recommend, although used prices are still not dropping, is the original Fuji X100. It's smaller, lighter, and is great for learning about exposure with it's manual controls.
    Interestingly thatís the camera I switched too after my D90. Cracking little camera. Iíll explain why I like it in case it helps.

The best camera to have is one you always have with you, period. My D90 was starting to become an ornament so more an more of my photos where being captured on my iPhone. Camera phones are ok within narrow parameters. Good light large depth of field.

I liked the FujiFilm x100 series because they are small enough to shove in a pocket yet good enough to be reasonably creative. Iíve won competitions with mine at work up against people with full frame SLRs so itís not to be sniffed at. The fixed lens will be an issue for some and it may be too many constraints for doing a creative course where they may want to explore the full range of possibilities.

Itís great for street photography and generally being less ďin your faceĒ. Iíve noticed I get one of two reactions when Iím in a crowd. Most people ignore me. Itís like the camera has become invisible as it looks quite retro. A few people come and ask me about it. They think itís either an old school rangefinder or they are x100 fans.

Craftsman
    We all seem to be on the same wavelength! I had an X100 in addition to Nikon DSLRs for the same reasons of convenience/ lightness as well as reinforcing the disciplines of a prime lens. In the end though I decided to go for the best of both worlds and traded the lot in for a Fuji XT20.
    As you say, however, the X100s donít come cheap. I think you may be lucky to find a good one under £400.

The Canon 40D is a great camera, very well built with a magnesium alloy body. They go for really good prices now, MPB have a good example here . A Canon 50mm f1.8 is a good cheap lens to start with before deciding what focal lengths to go for either wider or longer, again a very good example from MPB.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The Canon 40D is a great camera, very well built with a magnesium alloy body. They go for really good prices now, MPB have a good example here . A Canon 50mm f1.8 is a good cheap lens to start with before deciding what focal lengths to go for either wider or longer, again a very good example from MPB.
    I run a 40D, bargains to be had indeed:
    https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhan...on=&Results=12

Master
    My cousin's daughter did this as well a couple of years ago. I offered to lend her my D80 or D200 and the college definitely recommended that she had the 200. You can still get good ones around the £100 mark like this one with only 10000 on the shutter count! https://www.wexphotovideo.com/nikon-...-used-1674112/ That, with the wonderful 50mm https://www.wexphotovideo.com/nikon-...-used-1673371/ would be a good starter pairing.
    I must log off their Used pages now or it could get expensive :-)
    Good luck to her.
    Cheers,
    Nigel