closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Breitling an acquired taste?

Craftsman

Is Breitling an acquired taste?

I don't know if I'm the only one but I simply can't get on with any of their designs - but they seem to be very popular here amoung many people. Is it something I'll grow into over time as I become more experienced or is it really something you either love or hate?

Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    I don't know if I'm the only one but I simply can't get on with any of their designs - but they seem to be very popular here amoung many people. Is it something I'll grow into over time as I become more experienced or is it really something you either love or hate?
    I have always thought they are very much an acquired taste.

Have nothing against the brand but I am not keen on the designs.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 3rd September 2018 at 17:33.

Navitimer is a gem. Other then that I think they either suit your look or not. Also depends on your work/ social scene as to if a big polished watch stands out or not.
    To your taste or not, they are very well built on the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Navitimer is a gem. Other then that I think they either suit your look or not. Also depends on your work/ social scene as to if a big polished watch stands out or not.
    To your taste or not, they are very well built on the whole.
    Overall I find most Breitling watches a bit too busy for my taste, plus I really can't stand anadigital watches for some reason (not restricted to Breitling).

One of my colleagues picked up a Navitimer, and I have to say it was a lovely watch, just not within my price range for the moment.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

My mate loves them and has loads but I haven’t seen a single one that appeals to me, as said before they just too noisy / fussy / busy for my liking.

In comparison I think he finds mine boring, thank goodness we don’t all like the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    My mate loves them and has loads but I haven’t seen a single one that appeals to me, as said before they just too noisy / fussy / busy for my liking.

In comparison I think he finds mine boring, thank goodness we don’t all like the same thing.

Oh I hear that! There's infinite choice!

Master
    Yes, very busy watches on the whole and often very shiny indeed.

Navitimer - yes, the rest - no.

Craftsman
    20-30 years ago loved them, had Coral Superocean, Bi Chronomat and a Navitimer. The only one I would consider now is Navitimer

I really like Breitling. They tend to make up the majority of my collection.
    They are also the watches I get the most positive remarks about. Particularly my Custard Avenger!
    Last edited by Gavbaz; 3rd September 2018 at 18:19.

Master
    Yes, its an acquired taste....they cost a fortune to acquire!
    I love many of them actually - I love the sheer in your face stridency, bordering on vulgarity! Especially the Panda dialed ones. People who value elegance and subtle understatement obviously don't like 'em!

Not for me. Some dials are incredibly busy, whilst those with a digital square leave me cold.

Each to their own, but I'll never own one.

Master
    I liked the two I had very much - a Grand Premier and an Aerospace. Neither is very common-denominator-ish or generic, so I can quite understand that either might not have appealed to everyone.

Not a fan of many of their offerings but a do like Navitimers, which is why I have a Navitimer World. It is however the largest watch in my collection and definitely the largest my wrist can handle anything bigger will look like a clock not a watch.

Blog Entries
    I think they are an acquired taste. Not all are flash shiny things - but do tend to have shiny bracelets and cases. There are exceptions to this like the M1. Others I can think of are the black steel versions newer versions are coming out now. There are exceptions to this like the M one.

I think they do produce models of quite a varied range so worth checking them all out.

Craftsman
    I could very much see the appeal when you've been collecting for many years, they definitely stand out!

I like them for the reasons others don't, to me when I look in the jewellers window they stand out and make most of the other stuff look boring. Sure they don't get it right every time, but all the big brands come out with the odd rotter.

It seems fashionable on the forums to look down on them, almost every time someone posts a nice Breitling on Reddit someone will say 'I don't usually like Breitling but...'. It's almost like virtue signalling.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The old 38mm superocean heritage on mesh was great.
    The rest not so much imo.

Craftsman
    I didn't mean to start hate speech :P

Marmite watches ⌚️

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

SUPER OCEAN is the one quite I like but most of them are a bit too macho for me.

Master
    Love the Aerospace and the Avenger Blackbird, rest I'm not that keen on. Will own one some day......hopefully.

There is quite a spectrum in their designs! The Avengers are big and shiny, but interesting in their own way, especially in yellow; and I still lament the passing of the titanium Chrono-Avenger. The Aerospace, which I seem to wear a lot is actually quite a low profile, subtle, and discreet thing. The relatively new Colt 41mm could almost be regarded as boring for a Breitling, but it’s a normal size, not shiny, and quite nicely done. Their range is still too big, but there is something for most people. Now Breitling’s near monopoly on servicing is another matter(!)

Dave

How can you not like this?

2018-03-17 13.44.49 by ataripower, on Flickr

I love my 2nd edition Blackbird. Had it since 2009 and would never sell.

If I bought another Breitling, I’d probably go all-in and get the most ‘Breitling’ of Breitlings, a Super Avenger.

Craftsman
    I'm on the fence. Love the Navitimer, and the Aerospace. Not sure one some of the others though!

Craftsman
    I think they are somewhat of an acquired taste, but they do have cracking models IMO - namely the Navitimer and the Aerospace. Latter of which I'll be looking at purchasing at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    Overall I find most Breitling watches a bit too busy for my taste, plus I really can't stand anadigital watches for some reason (not restricted to Breitling).

One of my colleagues picked up a Navitimer, and I have to say it was a lovely watch, just not within my price range for the moment.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yeah same here i find most models a little too busy

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Strange brand Breitling, my collection always feels empty without one but I do tire of their watches quickly, quicker than any other brand in fact.
    ‘Slow burners’ there not, instant attraction at first sight - followed by ‘what did I buy this for’!!??
    The only Breitling that stood the test of time for me personally was the Blackbird Brushed big date which I never intended to sell but was stolen from my tennis club locker.
    Last edited by shalako; 1st August 2020 at 08:05.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    How can you not like this?

2018-03-17 13.44.49 by ataripower, on Flickr
    Or this?

Transocean by Adam Stringer, on Flickr

Breitling Transocean Chrono 38 by Adam Stringer, on Flickr

Master
    Used to love them! Think the old titanium yellow sea wolf or an ocean racer was and still is lovely! The bigger bling are still there but never worn! It’s strange how your tastes change as you get older!

I'd have one from the 1960s and possibly into the 1970s but anything after that is a mess.
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman
    I don't own 1 but would definitely consider the ocean heritage. 👍

Journeyman

Is Breitling an acquired taste?

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I think their Avenger 11 GMT is a very attractive model and good value at £3,370 when compared to Rolex, Omega GMTs

Thanks
    Bought mine from an AD. Paid a lot less than 3.3 though!

I love mine but they are certainly an acquired taste but then a lot of brands are aren’t they?

They make some great watches and quite a few rather brash ones.

I love my two (a vintage Cosmonaute and a B-1) and the Transocean and Super Ocean Heritage are lovely of the current/recent range, with things like the Top Time being great vintage watches.

Not keen on the Bentley things, but equally I've never seen a Rolex I'd spend my money on, so there's no rule anyone has to like anything!

Few brands are an acquired taste, but many individual watches are...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 4th September 2018 at 09:15.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    The navi is superb, but as people have already suggested most models I really don’t find attractive at all.

I’ve toying with the idea of an aerospace but I’m unsure if I want to drop a couple of K on a Quartz even if it is a didiquartz.

The list prices seem insane for breitling though and coupled with the big hit youbtale on resale I struggle to see how they sell anything bar the navi.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have always thought they are very much an acquired taste.

Have nothing against the brand but I am not keen on the designs.

I loathe those who refer to a Maker - as a 'brand'

I first bought an Aerospace- which at the time, was not only aesthetically-pleasing........ performed the timezone changing very well

Bought a bargain price titanium chronoavenger - a quality watch with a good movement

Bought a Superocean (off this site) as it was a quality, robust watch.

Sure, there are those who will always dislike Breitling and Bremont for not producing in-house movements, but for me - my liking for some of the offerings from those two makers - makes more sense than the "it has to be Rolex" fanbois

Master
    No more than any other brand IMO. Every brand has it's fans & over the years some have survived and lots have fallen. Watches are a very emotive trinket, just look at the A-to-Z of current brands available on Chrono24, and that's without the microbrands. In the context of your question, I do not like the brand, Seiko, I've nothing against them at all, they make millions of watches that appeal & WIS'es love-em all over the world, but they do nothing for me personally.

Anyway, I love this Breitling & it's not blingy at all.

It's fair to say that I like them. These are the older and smaller 40mm A13350 Chronomats.

Surprised no-one has mentioned how much they now cost to service, or the service model that demands a bezel scratch requires a full service.

The Aerospace is excellent, not sure about the others.
    All imho of course.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The old 38mm superocean heritage on mesh was great.
    The rest not so much imo.
    I remember handling one a few years ago and saying to myself “ooh, a tasteful Breitling”. Needless to say they fixed that by discontinuing the 38mm to concentrate on promoting the clown-sized versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    ...coupled with the big hit youbtale on resale I struggle to see how they sell anything bar the navi.
    That one's simple - It's only in the insane world of a watch forum that people buy watches with a view to selling them to someone else!

Normal people own one or two watches and buy what they like, not what has the 'best residuals'...

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I loathe those who refer to a Maker - as a 'brand'
    You must be a bundle of laughs at a dinner party!

As above, normal people sometimes just buy a watch they like. In reality, lots of people, both 'watchies' and the hoi-poloi buy into the 'luxury lifestyle' BS of watch 'Brands'

Rolex is all about 'success', Breitling is more 'adventure', Longines is 'active style', TAG is 'high tech' (or used to be, at least), PP is about pretending you're 'old money', etc, etc, etc. You don't have to buy into this marketing rubbish, but many buyers do, whether consciously or not.

Breitling seem to be a favourite watch to dislike, but usually because people never look far and realise they have made (and still make) some great watches.

Those 'busy' dials aren't gimmicks, they're there for a purpose, maybe ones which are rather redundant these days, but no moreso than wearing a watch at all!

Yes, some are rather brash and shiny, but not all and they're certainly not unique in that respect... Rolex get away with the laughable Yachtmaster II and the gaudy blue and chocolate (let's be nice about the colour) Daytona - Watches that would undoubtedly be roundly ridiculed if sold with most other names on...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 4th September 2018 at 17:09.

Have to say I have a foot in both camps here in that I love the Breitlings I own but do really struggle with an awful lot of what they produce, I think they have such a broad offering that there will always be something for the haters to hate, and I think that at any given time there are probably one or two that those same haters will think 'actually I like that' but because they already have a negative brand opinion are unlikely to buy .....

These are mine :)

I won't put any oil on the fire (for once) on Breitling.
    Each his own, I guess.
    Every 'maker' or 'brand' has its 'unique' designs that will not appeal to everybody. Very rare are the (successful) watch companies (of a decent size) that keep a unique design through all their lines. It is difficult to have a business that works if you are only talking to a certain part of the population. There is no universal design.
    Brands normally always ride on one or multiple themes. Some are more successful than others.
    I confess to be more of an Omega man, but a lot of designs at Omega I find very questionable. Don't start me on the 'limited' editions...
    So for me, as long as you do not try to convince me that Breitling is the best thing since sliced bread, I am good ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    So for me, as long as you do not try to convince me that Breitling is the best thing since sliced bread, I am good ;-)
    See, thats where I am with all this, I will never try and convert anyone, may explain to someone why something appeals to me, but thats it, thats my personal opinion, no one need agree with it, regards Omega, I like some of what they do and really should own one at some point, trouble is every time I have 'Omega' money hanging about someone puts a Breitling up for sale here and I think ... 'oooooooh', thats how I ended up with 3 of the 4, the Navitimer I bought new in 2000 ....

Isn't every brand (yeah I said it) an aquired taste? Why would it be anything other than that?

Graham
    Coram
    UN
    Jacob & Co
    Omega
    Rolex
    Breitling

It's all down to what you like.

Blog Entries
    Often brands share - think ETA (part of Omega) or recently Breitling and Tudor sharing ebauche. Parts are manufactured outside Switzerland blah blah.

I’ll get my coat.

Craftsman
    Since the 1990s i have owned and enjoyed wearing several Breitlings.I like the practical functionality of the more reserved, what used to be called aero-marine and professional series.They were useful practical watches for the job i used to do.I do feel that many of the current designs are too big and like with any brand the designs and image either appeal to your individual taste or they do not. Of course any brand can be seen as too blingy,too shiny,too big and with too busy dials .

Breitling Navitimer, Aerospace and Super Oceans are all lovely watches, I think Breitling is a great brand and make some really interesting watches.