closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Moving to England. Where would you live?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    I grew up there and couldn't wait to leave, there's very limited work opportunities and large chunks of it are mainly retirement areas. Are you looking to work, if so then what line of work are you in?
    We're both in our late 50's and looking for somewhere a bit remote. Touristy in the summer, quiet in the winter, that kind of thing. Having said that a retirement community is certainly not the plan so that is a concern. A lot of holiday properties isn't ideal either. I used to live in the cotswolds and there were entire villages of weekend houses, completely empty and lifeless during the week and on the weekend still lifeless but with cars parked everywhere.

So we want a "living" community.

All our work is online so its mobile. All we need is a good internet connection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Don't - unless you are going into it with your eyes wide open, and with a very good conveyancing solicitor advising.

These redevelopments can be carved into leaseholds by people who have never visited the site and rely on architects' drawings / descriptions - the scope for inadequate lease drafting is substantial. Also the service charges can get seriously out of hand with listed buildings.

There are some that work well, but not so many as you'd hope to see.
    Thank you, good to know.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    I grew up there and couldn't wait to leave, there's very limited work opportunities and large chunks of it are mainly retirement areas. Are you looking to work, if so then what line of work are you in?
    Weymouth. Dartmouth. Brixham. Totnes.

What do you think?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Born and raised there. It’s a great place to live. Moved away more than eighteen years ago but it’ll always be home to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post

What do you think?
    I would add Lyme Regis to your list. It's the heart of the Jurassic Coast with a fantastic newly refurbed museum, nice restaurants and spectacular views. An hour or less to Exeter with it's world class rugby and Uni. The A35 between Axminster and Dorchester is one of the country's most scenic roads. Great cycling too. I'd move there in an instant.
    Last edited by lughugger; 18th September 2018 at 07:37.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I would add Lyme Regis to your list. It's the heart of the Jurassic Coast with a fantastic newly refurbed museum, nice restaurants and spectacular views. An hour or less to Exeter with it's world class rugby and Uni. The A35 between Axminster and Dorchester is one of the country's most scenic roads. Great cycling too. I'd move there in an instant.
    Yes for Lyme Regis, I was there a couple of weeks ago beautiful coastline. Went on to Poole which was excellent too. There is equally lovely coastline in a lot of areas eg Pembrokeshire, Northumberland, Cornwall, North Yorkshire. Your spoilt for choice but I'm from Yorkshire so for me up here.

What do you think?
    Nice places to visit, I grew up on the “English Riviera” and living there is another experience altogether. Lovely if you like the sea but there is only so much time you can spend walking the rugged coastline.
    Coastal towns have been on the decline for many years now with cheap flights abroad killing what used to be a thriving tourist industry. Many like the above can be very charming but once you’ve lived there a while can feel very small and out of touch with the real world. Lack of accessible airports and quick access to vibrant cities can leave you feeling isolated, although Exeter has improved a great deal recently.
    Somewhere closer to Bristol airport, Bristol city and Bath but still with easy access to the coast would be a better choice. Maybe along the Chew Valley with its lovely lakes and beautiful villages whilst still close to these two cities with an abundance of culture and good transport links would be worth a look imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    We're both in our late 50's and looking for somewhere a bit remote. Touristy in the summer, quiet in the winter, that kind of thing. Having said that a retirement community is certainly not the plan so that is a concern. A lot of holiday properties isn't ideal either. I used to live in the cotswolds and there were entire villages of weekend houses, completely empty and lifeless during the week and on the weekend still lifeless but with cars parked everywhere.

So we want a "living" community.

All our work is online so its mobile. All we need is a good internet connection.
    I'm more familiar with the western end of the Jurassic coast, it's mainly tourism and farming so pretty quiet in the Winter. Things may be changing as they have a lot of investment going on and with the weakening pound it might get busier if more people holiday in the UK. Having moved up country (to the Oxford area at the moment), there are so many more opportunities and things going on around here that I can't ever see myself going back there, but it doesn't sound like you're necessarily looking for that!

What do you think?
    I think those areas will be a lot busier than the Jurassic Coast with more industry and more life out of season, but probably more expensive too. From your description those sound like very good candidates. Agree with Billy's comments though, great because of the sea but for some that gets old real quick and travel is very limited. Takes up to an hour just to get onto the motorway from some places near the coast. In the summer we don't bother trying to drive down to Devon other than very late at night because the motorways get jammed up and it takes 5-6 hours when it should take 3.
    Last edited by wombleh; 18th September 2018 at 13:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    Maybe along the Chew Valley with its lovely lakes and beautiful villages whilst still close to these two cities with an abundance of culture and good transport links would be worth a look imho.
    Keep it quiet!