closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Moving to England. Where would you live?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    The gammon is strong with this one.
    Whilst I don’t agree with everything the badger said your name calling is no better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Ah the home of Adnams, the creators of Ghost Ship Never been but love the beer.
    It’s as good as their beer.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Whilst I don’t agree with everything the badger said your name calling is no better.
    I couldn’t think of a better adjective, sorry.

Nice to see an innocuous thread dragged into the usual place.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Nice to see an innocuous thread dragged into the usual place.
    Chris, is it not possible for anyone to articulate any scepticism of diversity/multiculturalism?
    Last edited by -Ally-; 7th September 2018 at 22:24.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Chris, is it not possible for anyone to articulate any scepticism of diversity/multi-culturaism ?
    This forum isn’t moderated so you are free to speak how you want, comparing provincial attitudes to cured and smoked ham products isn’t on though.

This forum isn’t moderated so you are free to speak how you want, comparing provincial attitudes to cured and smoked ham products isn’t on though.
    For the sake of context.

I was born in Bradford in 1962 and saw it change massively over the years during my childhood to adulthood over the 30 odd years before we moved away.

I worked in the Fire Service in Bradford for over 9 years and sadly was on duty during during the riots and saw it almost destroy a community.

I currently have Polish neighbours.

I am more than able to discuss and pass opinions on multiculturalism - most of my experience is dealing with it facing the public and the issues, not regurgitating media reports for the sake of provocation.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Don’t bother with England. My honest advise is to live in / near Edinburgh.

(I’m just back from there and miss my old alma mater!)

Chester.

My wife and I moved from the states and were there for 4 years until recently. It's a wonderful city with lots of the best the UK has to offer. It also won't be so much of a culture shock (from the perspective of someone who has done it)

-Historic Roman walled city. Beautiful cathedral, historic rows, shopping.
    -Close to Liverpool and Manchester. Both awesome cities. (with international flights and easy travel to the continent)
    -2hr train direct to London
    -Lots of great restaurants and pubs, Chester Racecourse
    -Short drive from North Wales (some mentioned earlier: Conwy, Llandudno, Anglesey, Snowdonia Park, Betws y Coed)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    For the sake of context.

I was born in Bradford in 1962 and saw it change massively over the years during my childhood to adulthood over the 30 odd years before we moved away.

I worked in the Fire Service in Bradford for over 9 years and sadly was on duty during during the riots and saw it almost destroy a community.

I currently have Polish neighbours.

I am more than able to discuss and pass opinions on multiculturalism - most of my experience is dealing with it facing the public and the issues, not regurgitating media reports for the sake of provocation.
    Do your neighbors have good vodka? Not a big fan of the beer though.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    After almost thirty years in the USA I've made the commitment to move back to England within the next year or so. I'm very excited. I'll be dragging my American wife with me.
    Sorry to ask but is she white? I don’t wish to offend but there are unfortunately a lot of people in some parts of the UK who don’t want neighbors of different ethnicity to themselves so choose carefully.

(For the record I’m the grandson of immigrants and have a Polish partner so her race/colour is of no issue for me)

And do you think that if they are a mixed race couple that this is unusual in the UK or that they're more likely to face violent opposition here than in the US?

It's almost certainly a non-issue, let's not allow melodrama to cloud things.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    And do you think that if they are a mixed race couple that this is unusual in the UK or that they're more likely to face violent opposition here than in the US?

It's almost certainly a non-issue, let's not allow melodrama to cloud things.
    This.
    Race is far less of an issue here than in most of the US.
    The colour of people's skin wouldn't even register on most people's radar.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to ask but is she white? I don’t wish to offend but there are unfortunately a lot of people in some parts of the world who don’t want neighbors of different ethnicity to themselves so choose carefully.

(For the record I’m the grandson of immigrants and have a Polish partner so her race/colour is of no issue for me)
    FTFY

Craftsman
    I like the look of the boroughs West of Edinburgh. Close enough to the city for work but not actualy in the city so reasonable sized houses and beautiful countryside just up the road.
    Last edited by wombleh; 8th September 2018 at 22:15.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When you say England do you mean GB? In Scotland you’ll get much more for your dollar in terms of property and land.

The only issue is the poisonous political system we have and the single narrative of independence whilst the big public sectors are failing.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    This.
    The colour of people's skin wouldn't even register on most people's radar.
    That’s what I thought too having lived in multicultural london for 2 decades but then I guess I have spent too long viewing this forum of late...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    This.
    Without getting into it too much, the state of race relations in the US probably has swayed us a bit. Its a cumulative thing though.

We're not looking at little villages as a retreat from a multicultural world either. I suppose it is a kind of retreat from the world generally though. The reason we'll look for somewhere a bit touristy is so that there's an influx of outsiders for part of the year.

Craftsman

Norwich

Its not a small town....but I've been looking at Norwich and have been impressed. Its a beautiful city.

Any opinions?

Its not a small town....but I've been looking at Norwich and have been impressed. Its a beautiful city.

Any opinions?
    I studied there for 3 years and really liked the place, it struck me as one of the few cities in the uk I could live in, good arts scene, good restaurants and lots of nice Georgian and Victorian property.
    Only downside or upside depending on how you look at it is it’s not on the way to anywhere and no motorway link. The north Norfolk coast is stunning though and the surrounding countryside very nice, it’s not as flat as people think.

Master

Any opinions?
    Attended the uni there from 1983 to 1986. Beautiful city. Haven’t been back for more than twenty years, though maybe I will next year. You could pick a lot worse!

Doesn't Norwich also claim to have enough pubs to try a different one every day of the year.

North Wales is a good shout.

You can get a lot of house for your cash even in the nicest parts. We are in the process of moving and quite a few of the places we have looked at have been snapped up by buyers from the Shires looking for more house for their money and less of the rat race.

60 mins or less by car to Chester, Liverpool and Manchester.

3 hours direct by train to London.

Depending where you are, a short drive to Anglesey which is, in my opinion, the most beautiful place in the world.

Lots of things to see and do. Lots of great restaurants. Decent shopping.

I cannot believe one of the comments I’ve read on this thread regarding smaller places and their lack of cultural diversity. One of the most disgusting comments I’ve ever read on this forum with the aspersions it infers. All I can say is that the North Wales coast isn’t particularly diverse, but if diversity is what you’re after then the aforementioned cities are a short drive away. That said, part of my family who live in the area are fairly recent immigrants (within the last 10 years) from central Africa and race has never, even been an issue for them in the 5+ years they’ve lived here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Doesn't Norwich also claim to have enough pubs to try a different one every day of the year.

I couldn’t possibly say as I didn’t partake of alcohol until long after I left UEA.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I couldn’t possibly say as I didn’t partake of alcohol until long after I left UEA.
    hmmm

Just catching up on some of the comments. Each to their own (and shame to those people decrying multiculturism- you owe your very lifestyle to multiculturism guys). Will leave it with one final observation

A bad day in London is still better than a good day elsewhere. #blessedtoliveinlondon #openminded #21stcenturymindset

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Just catching up on some of the comments. Each to their own (and shame to those people decrying multiculturism- you owe your very lifestyle to multiculturism guys). Will leave it with one final observation

A bad day in London is still better than a good day elsewhere. #blessedtoliveinlondon #openminded #21stcenturymindset
    Deluded.

'A bad day in London is still better than a good day elsewhere. #blessedtoliveinlondon #openminded #21stcenturymindset'

What are you 16 years old and still hugging trees ?

I used to love living in London - spent 25 years working in the West End, living in the suburbs. Take all politics and multiculturalism out of the equation - I just started to find it too overcrowded, with a palpable division between rich and poor and a general feeling of tension which I hadn’t experienced in the past. Didn’t want to live there any more, didn’t want my kids to grow up there - so I put some plans in place and after a few years we made our exit, and the family are all glad of the move. I don’t think human beings are pack animals - the biggest change I noticed is the extra space to breathe, not living in each other’s pockets - not hearing the neighbours argue, endless traffic noise, alarms going off, nowhere to park..........like I say just too many people crammed too close together. Some people like it, some don’t - frankly I’m happy for Londoners to stay in London, whilst I enjoy some peace and quiet - suits me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    #openminded
    That’s hilarious

Craftsman
    I think Britain has always been multicultural. People move. And I'm sure its always created tensions too. I do think the UK does a pretty good job of managing it compared to a lot of other places.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Some people like it, some don’t - frankly I’m happy for Londoners to stay in London, whilst I enjoy some peace and quiet - suits me
    Exactly. I spent a lot of my growing up in London, and lived there for years as an adult.

But I'm older now and looking for a bit more quiet and coming back from abroad I feel anywhere within a few hours of London is practically in London anyway.

Blog Entries
    Without getting into it too much, the state of race relations in the US probably has swayed us a bit. Its a cumulative thing though.

We're not looking at little villages as a retreat from a multicultural world either. I suppose it is a kind of retreat from the world generally though. The reason we'll look for somewhere a bit touristy is so that there's an influx of outsiders for part of the year.
    Definitely Southwold then!!

And Ghost Ship on draught in pubs.

Win win.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post

Depending where you are, a short drive to Anglesey which is, in my opinion, the most beautiful place in the world.
    Why thank you good sir!

Obviously you can only really go off places you’re familiar with, but if I didn’t have to work (or could work from home), I’d consider North Wales, somewhere west of Chester (Conwy is a good call, as is parts of Llandudno - there are a few very rundown areas east of there though). It’s a beautiful, beautiful area - Snowdonia has arguably the most dramatic scenery outside of the Highlands, but you’re close enough to civilisation that you don’t have to sacrifice too many conveniences. House prices are very reasonable, particularly if you don’t mind being slightly out if the way (but you’ll still be within a short drive of a major town or city), and if you ever need a change from the beauty of North Wales, then you’re only a short drive from the Peak District or the Lakes (another great place to live, but much, much more touristy, and further from major cities.

People go on about the weather, but when you look at the heatwave the continent has just had, I can’t think of anything worse than 30+ degrees and high humidity for weeks on end, never mind the high 30s they’ve had this year.

I quite like our benign, temperate climate. If it never went above 22, I’d be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    North Wales coast - between Ireland, Manchester and Oxford, by the sea, and plenty of history. Look at Conwy.
    Couldn't agree with you more.

We spent 6 years in Wales (Abergavenny) and have regretted moving back to England ever since. We're going back next year though : ) and cannot wait.
    Thinking Pembrokeshire this time.

You might say a bad day in London was when two men attacked Lee Rigby with knives and a cleaver, and attempted to behead him. Or when a man drove into pedestrians before stabbing a policeman to death during a rampage in Westminster. Or the riots in August 2011, when thousands of people rioted, looted, and burnt shops down.

A bad day in North Yorkshire is when you go out without a jacket and it starts to rain.

#blessedtoliveinyorkshire #openminded #21stcenturymindset #alwaysplanforinclementweather

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

A bad day in North Yorkshire is when you go out without a jacket and it starts to rain.

#blessedtoliveinyorkshire #openminded #21stcenturymindset #alwaysplanforinclementweather
    i doubt the husband and children of Murdered MP Jo Cox would agree.

(west yorkshire but its all the centre of the universe/ gods own county)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Definitely Southwold then!!

And Ghost Ship on draught in pubs.

Win win.

Ian
    Never been myself but my brother in law who has traveled all over the UK and Europe says this is his favourite place.

i doubt the husband and children of Murdered MP Jo Cox would agree.

(west yorkshire but its all the centre of the universe/ gods own county)
    There's no county in the land that doesn't suffer from crime, but isolated incidents like you mention above effect close family and friends, whereas terror attacks and riots and impact the whole city and sometimes the country, and they're more frequent in densely populated areas.

I like London, it's a fantastic City to visit, but it's also nice to leave and get back to civilisation too.

I've had a nice day in Harrogate today, that's worth a look if the OP is considering a house in the North.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    There's no county in the land that doesn't suffer from crime, but isolated incidents like you mention above effect close family and friends, whereas terror attacks and riots and impact the whole city and sometimes the country, and they're more frequent in densely populated areas.

I like London, it's a fantastic City to visit, but it's also nice to leave and get back to civilisation too.

I've had a nice day in Harrogate today, that's worth a look if the OP is considering a house in the North.
    So a white right wing fanatic killing a serving MP whilst shouting "Britain First" is just "crime" is it? Presumably you already have this handy guide to refer to?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    We lived, for a rather short time near Bideford (Buck's Mills area) and it was really brilliant. The walks thru those forests down to the beach, were breathtaking. My wife lived in Scotland too before she met me (Lake District) and she says that's even more brilliant, albeit a bit more remote, although I'm gathering that won't be an issue for you.
    I’m just outside Bideford myself. Less than two miles but it’s in the country and half a mile walk to the beautiful coastline. North Devon is north coast so tidal, great for surfing and rugged. So many amazing places and not far from Dartmoor or Exmoor. We’re an hour from Exeter which is a lovely city.

The only thing I would like slightly different is to be a bit closer to a good airport (Bristol is 2 hours). We’re 45 minutes from Tiverton and then just over 2 hours on the train to London. Could do with being a little closer but no big deal considering where we live is lovely.

Very few people move away and most that move here tend to stay and love it.

Southwold is lovely to visit; I suspect Aldeburgh might be nicer to live in. I'm sure both are a bit odd due to the tourism and huge number of second homes.

I'm another Norfolk fan, but as Jeremy Clarkson pointed out, they still point at cars. Bear in mind that things that might be weird elsewhere are 'normal for Norfolk'.

I'm disappointed that racism has crept into this thread. Britain has a multicultural past, and a multicultural future. We are, ancestrally, half French, half German and half Roman. Go and post on the Daily Mail forum if you want Little Britain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Don’t bother with England. My honest advise is to live in / near Edinburgh.

(I’m just back from there and miss my old alma mater!)

The correct answer. If I didn’t have so many family members in the south of England I would move to Edinburgh straight away.

Craftsman
    I really appreciate the comments. A lot of positive ones for the north wales coast and even though its outside our target it'll be worth a look anyway.

We're really getting serious now with the Jurassic Coast and the West Country generally. We're only going to rent for the first year so we can afford to experiment, and we're both pretty keen on being within a few hundred metres of the sea. I don't need a sea view, but I want to feel the salt in the air during those winter storms. It may sound like a trivial wish but years in the west of Ireland and then northern California, its something I would miss and if the option is there then why not?

We're still open to anything interesting when the time comes. I really like Norwich. I found a great house on the market square in Ludlow. Occasionally you come across manor houses subdivided into apartments. That would be a possibility, although they're usually pretty isolated.

Master
    Stay away from Harwich, it’s a hole. Just over the river is Felixstowe which has history but also a blooming great container port. Some nice pubs and sandy pebbly beaches too. Just inland is Woodbridge which is nice but not on the coast. Londoners like Aldeburgh and Southwold up the coast but you pay for their patronage!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Southwold is lovely to visit; I suspect Aldeburgh might be nicer to live in. I'm sure both are a bit odd due to the tourism and huge number of second homes.
    We visited Southwold in the week and, yes, it is a lovely place but agree, not sure I’d like to live there.

Someone earlier wanted somewhere a bit touristy but don’t think the influx of elderly visitors add to the experience (for me anyway).

... Occasionally you come across manor houses subdivided into apartments. That would be a possibility, although they're usually pretty isolated...
    Don't - unless you are going into it with your eyes wide open, and with a very good conveyancing solicitor advising.

These redevelopments can be carved into leaseholds by people who have never visited the site and rely on architects' drawings / descriptions - the scope for inadequate lease drafting is substantial. Also the service charges can get seriously out of hand with listed buildings.

There are some that work well, but not so many as you'd hope to see.

Craftsman
    We're really getting serious now with the Jurassic Coast and the West Country generally.
    I grew up there and couldn't wait to leave, there's very limited work opportunities and large chunks of it are mainly retirement areas. Are you looking to work, if so then what line of work are you in?

Any opinions?
    I think Norwich is great.
    I know it fairly well.
    Its been my nearest city for the last twenty years.

There are much nicer places to live in Norfolk though imnsvho
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.