closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to England. Where would you live?

Craftsman

Moving to England. Where would you live?

After almost thirty years in the USA I've made the commitment to move back to England within the next year or so. I'm very excited. I'll be dragging my American wife with me.

I have family dotted around in Manchester, Oxfordshire and Ireland but I have no attachment to any particular place. Our work is all online so the only requirement is high speed internet. The plan is to rent for at least a year so we're willing to take some chances. We don't want a big city, less than 20k people would be best, less than 10k even better. By the sea would be nice. I'd like History, 30 years in the western USA has me starved. I'd like somewhere that was in the domesday book. At least.

Some examples of places that we've oogled on google streetview: Rye, Dartmouth, (Old) Hastings, Harwich, Arundel, Chichester, Salisbury, Malvern, Weymouth.

Any ideas? Any negatives on those I listed?

Moving to England. Where would you live?

I lived in dunchideock for about 3 years between my time in Exeter and Bovey Tracey. Great little village, close to Dartmooor, Exeter, Torquay etc etc.

Also in the domesday book.

Negatives... you’ll need a 4x4 or expect to get stuck in the snow. Haldon Forrest seems to attract it.

If you need anymore info feel free to give me a pm.

Master
    No idea if it was in the doomsday book (I don’t even know what that is) but I love Tenby. So so pretty. Just takes an age to get anywhere from there though.

Craftsman
    I'm not too strict on the domesday book.

Wild and remote is attractive. Snow would be okay, my better half is from Minnesota. We'd need the fast internet though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    No idea if it was in the doomsday book (I don’t even know what that is) but I love Tenby. So so pretty. Just takes an age to get anywhere from there though.
    Tenby yes! That's certainly one for the list.

North Wales coast - between Ireland, Manchester and Oxford, by the sea, and plenty of history. Look at Conwy.

Bear in mind that all the rainy weather predominantly comes up from the south west. That part of the country and the west coast in general gets a good deal more rain over a year than the eastern counties, East Anglia amongst the regional getting the least.

If you can be further from the coast, then villages around Oxford and the Cotswolds are lovely, and you’re a lot closer to everything around the country.

There’s talk of an Oxford to Cambridge express way being finished eventually too, which would make travel around that area a lot better.

What a nice conundrum to have!

There are some excellent curry houses in Winchester, that should be enough to convince any WIS.

Along with Oxford it wasn't bombed so a lot of the old architecture remains (apart from the stuff knocked down in the 1960s). An hour from London on the train, very close to the south coast, instant access to countryside and fast Internet.
    "A man of little significance"

I live in Weymouth and I can recommend this area although I'd probably choose one of the local villages (if they meet your internet requirements) only negative of the area (or positive depending on your circumstances) is lack of industry/jobs but as that is not a concern then I'd say its ideal

It really is a beautiful area and we are really very lucky to live here, when travelling anywhere around the country we are all relieved to get back :)

I’ve lived in Oxfordshire most of my life but 5 years ago we moved to York. I’ve never been happier. It’s beautiful, full of history and so friendly. I love walled cities and it’s so much more relaxed here. Plus you can park, unlike oxford, and there are lots of lovely little pubs and shops, again, unlike oxford which looks increasingly like any other high street.

Master
    Wow! What a decision to make, I think you need a 2-3 week trip to the UK and explore a few different areas on your list. I would go for somewhere where the living costs are not crazy, and you have plenty to do in the area. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    North Wales coast - between Ireland, Manchester and Oxford, by the sea, and plenty of history. Look at Conwy.
    Yes Conwy is cool, it’s like a miniature York!

Craftsman
    My mother used to live in Icklesham which was between Rye and Hastings. Haven’t been there for a few years now but like a fair few seaside towns in the UK, they are full off DHSS B&B's, druggies and beggars.

If I could live anywhere in the UK, I’d live in Jersey if it was possible. It’s like England was years ago before we got overrun with all sorts of foreign scroungers, criminals and health tourists.

Master
    If you’re looking for somewhere quintessentially English a village location may just cut it. South of London is popular. Avoid big cities.

I’d give North Yorkshire a look,you can find everything there busy,quiet,coast,history,good road access,airports,trains,what’s not to like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd be heading for Charmouth personally. Small town on the Jurassic coast. About 7 miles from Bridport which has proper shops. The only negative with that part of the world is it's a fair strap to a decent sized hospital.

Also, if you have deep pockets, my favourite house in the town is for sale:

Riverway, Charmouth, Dorset, DT6
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-68940554.html
    Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 2nd September 2018 at 08:18.

Devon.

It's got everything: a county of great contrast, two stunning coastlines and two National Parks. It was my top choice as a holiday destination and thereafter to live in. And Dunchideock is in it too. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

West. Sussex.
    That is all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Hastings,

Any ideas? Any negatives on those I listed?
    Hastings!!!???
    You really are out of touch, arn`t you!!
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 2nd September 2018 at 08:22.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I’ve lived in Oxfordshire most of my life but 5 years ago we moved to York. I’ve never been happier. It’s beautiful, full of history and so friendly. I love walled cities and it’s so much more relaxed here. Plus you can park, unlike oxford, and there are lots of lovely little pubs and shops, again, unlike oxford which looks increasingly like any other high street.

The Times lists York as the best place to live. High speed internet is one factor too.

It's definitely worth a visit with your wife when you start visiting places.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...shire-43448590

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    West. Sussex.
    That is all you need to know.

Hastings!!!???
    You really are out of touch, arn`t you!!
    Deal is nice.

Cotswolds would be a shout with so much Village to Village life
    Near to pretty much anywhere for major travel

Cheltenham is a great place and you e mentioned Worcs and Malvern etc

Not sure in prices and obvs check the internet but places like Stow etc seem up to date

Your budget might reflect on where you live to a certain degree. A nice family home on the south coast in a nice area is going to set you back 500k and up from there. Brighton will cost nearly double that. Head East from there and it's Generally cheaper.
    Having lived in quite a few places and grew up in Oxfordshire too I'm happy in West Sussex.

What are your hobbies/recreational activities? I like Dorset, beaches, coast path, inland walks and bike rides, small villages, main line to London. Oxford always seems too land locked and busy to me. Personally I like to be near the coast. Dartmouth is lovely but you are a long way from everything else.

Nice problem to have.

Craftsman
    Regarding internet speed. Most estate agents give this info. with the details of properties. I imagine the IPs do the same though maybe not so specific to a street/road etc.

Depends on budget and interests.

The South Coast has the best climate.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    My mother used to live in Icklesham which was between Rye and Hastings. Haven’t been there for a few years now but like a fair few seaside towns in the UK, they are full off DHSS B&B's, druggies and beggars.

If I could live anywhere in the UK, I’d live in Jersey if it was possible. It’s like England was years ago before we got overrun with all sorts of foreign scroungers, criminals and health tourists.
    Germany in the 30s sounds more like your ideal place / time to live.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I’d give North Yorkshire a look,you can find everything there busy,quiet,coast,history,good road access,airports,trains,what’s not to like

+1, beautiful countryside, friendly people, near coast, short hop to the Lakes.
    Plenty of small villages.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d look at villages around Faversham, Horsham, St Neots and Maidenhead. All about an hour from London by train. All quite nice. Faversham and St Neots are even sensibly priced.

Blog Entries
    Leicester…. Obvs!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Wow! What a decision to make, I think you need a 2-3 week trip to the UK and explore a few different areas on your list
    This has to be the right thing to do. Narrow down the area and then find a nice village in that area with a budget to suit.

I would put another vote for the surrounding areas of Winchester. Close to get into London, connected by the M3 and near enough to the M4 to make travel to other parts easy enough. Close to the sea and the New Forest and lots of nice villages close by that are cheaper than winchester itself.

Master
    You may already be planning to do so but I’d rent to begin with. This will give you much more flexibility if it doesn’t work out and you want to find somewhere else.

I’d be looking at Cornwall, absolutely beautiful and a lot for your money.

Lake District,
    North West Coast of Scotland, Ullapool would be my choice.
    South West of ROI, Cork / Foynes.
    Whitby, North Yorkshire.
    Looe in Cornwall.
    n2
    Last edited by number2; 2nd September 2018 at 10:00.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    +1, beautiful countryside, friendly people, near coast, short hop to the Lakes.
    Plenty of small villages.
    Good shout.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    North West Coast of Scotland.
    This.

Master
    I’d stay in Seattle 😀

Blog Entries
    Top of the league for internet speed are Dundee and Tamworth. Dundee is a nice place to live, lots of seaside trips, scottish fishing and hunting, great countryside, good University. Tamworth is pretty, close to Birmingham and small-ish village.

Craftsman
    Depends if you want to live in a multicultural environment or a more traditional conservative British environment. What would you family be most comfortable in ?

If you prefer the latter I would say avoid the North and the Midlands and avoid London.
    Have a look at some of the small towns in the West Country, I see Weymouth has been recommended but that can be a touch rough, so look at Dorchester about 5 miles to the North the county town.

South Devon is also really nice have a look at Kingsbridge and Dartmouth, which offer a lot and a lovely environment for families. Salcombe is also lovely if you have the cash to buy a good size property there.

If you decide you would like to be near a bigger town have a look around Bath or Exeter, nice traditional university towns with good transport links and loads to offer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Ah yes lovely!
    The little place with the church virtually on the beach...?
    Near to Saundersfoot.

Jon

Craftsman
    Thames valley is very nice home of Bremont. With cross rail coming good soon 🤔 links to south coast.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Washington, Tyne and Wear.

10mins from the coast, 20 mins from tynemouth

Easy links to Newcastle and Durham.

Master
    Shropshire...👍👍

OP are rent prices a consideration? You're in an enviable position of not having to locate somewhere where there's plenty of work and obviously certainly locations will be considerably more expensive (I.e. the South East) because of availability of higher paid jobs.

If I were you I'd be looking at towns in the Lake District, Devon, Cornwall or the Cotswolds, all are very pretty areas of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post

I see Weymouth has been recommended but that can be a touch rough, so look at Dorchester about 5 miles to the North the county town.
    I am a bit curious as to what you mean by rough? Dorchester is nice enough but obviously a bit further from the beach

Believe me there are rough areas in both towns (and that goes for everywhere) so I assume you are comparing the centres? I have to agree in that respect as I only ever go into Dorchester if I want a bite to eat or a coffee but for shopping you would travel a bit further anyway

Weymouth changes a bit in the summer but rough is a bit strong, compared to 99% of the country it is like heaven on earth

As I said I would be looking for a small village around Dorset ideally

Plenty of idilic country villages & towns around Bath to consider. Great quality of life & good transport links plus you get to have one of the most beautiful cities in the world on your doorstep. Historically rich both in culture & architecture & a world heritage site as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Bear in mind that all the rainy weather predominantly comes up from the south west. That part of the country and the west coast in general gets a good deal more rain over a year than the eastern counties, East Anglia amongst the regional getting the least.

If you can be further from the coast, then villages around Oxford and the Cotswolds are lovely, and you’re a lot closer to everything around the country.

There’s talk of an Oxford to Cambridge express way being finished eventually too, which would make travel around that area a lot better.

What a nice conundrum to have!
    I'd be thinking about weather too. For a small country there are pretty big variations in temperature. So for instance the north east coastline up in Northumberland is stunning, but it is regularly 10 degrees colder than the south coast and often gets impacted by snow in the winter.

Generally the further south you go the warmer it is. The west does tend to be wetter than the east, but also tends to be warmer. We don't tend to have humidity issues here, so the temperature normally feels like what is registered on the thermometer.

Personally, I would look at the south coast stretch known as the Jurassic Coast.

What about whitstable? It’s a charming little seaside town and near enough to London if you do want to go shopping or for recreation.

Craftsman
    Bear in mind the South can be really pricey, but as you go further North it gets more cost effective! There are some really stunning places down here though, lots of lovely villages along the jurassic coast.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Yes Conwy is cool, it’s like a miniature York!
    Can only agree, the Llandudno, Conwy and Conwy Valley area is a little piece of paradise. Rowen & Betws-y-Coed are two fantastic little villages. Beaumaris is also worthy of consideration. No worries with high speed internet either around the Llandudno/Conwy area.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Germany in the 30s sounds more like your ideal place / time to live.
    Yeah. Whatever went wrong there? Oh yeah,........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Ah yes lovely!
    The little place with the church virtually on the beach...?
    Near to Saundersfoot.

Jon
    Yep, that’s it.