closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Modern Triumph Bonneville - looking for insight

Master

Modern Triumph Bonneville - looking for insight

A little bit of background. I bought a 1941 BSA 500cc single on a whim in the summer and have recently passed my bike test. I’ve used the BSA a few times and it’s great for thumping along B roads but I realise I need something more modern for proper A road and motorway use so I am homing in on the Triumph Bonneville for this.

Today I test road a 10 year old Triumph America(900cc) and a new Bonneville T120 (1200cc) and I think I am hooked on the Bonneville but wanted some real world insight before jumping in.

Has anyone owned one? Specifically the latest water cooled 1200 T120? Any insight or tips would be welcome.

Cheers - Simon

Grand Master
    Simon,

Im on a Thruxton R having previously owned numerous HD’s plus the usual splattering of sports bikes over the last couple of decades. I accidentally test rode the Thruxton which has the water-cooled HP Engine in and I was absolutely blown away and ordered one on the spot. Admittedly the handling on the R is alot sharper and truly worth the premium.
    I have confidence in the range but found the 900 Scrambler gutless, and the Bobber is just wrong all round but they have plenty of fans.
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you like the BSA but want a more modern take, consider the CCM R30 (or indeed the Spitfire) I had an old oil in frame B50 which I remember with great fondness. recently I tried a friend's CCM R30 and was delighted to get a very similar feel to the B50 but in a modern motorcycle with splendid suspension, lights and brakes. It's very tall and has a hooligan reputation, but not only does it have that old BSA feel, it also has the heritage. When BSA folded one of their works riders, Alan Clews, bought their competition department and rather a lot of their 500 single engines - he then spent the next decade producing big single dirtbikes with the b50 engine, when he ran out of BSA engines he moved on to Rotax and finally Suzuki lumps. To celebrate thirty years, he made his first roadbike, the R30 Supermotard However the philosophy remained the same - no weight and a sodding great single.

It's still a winning combination.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/2716532/The-super-supermoto.html

I forgot to mention, I went out and bought one shortly after and it's a cracking bike - not remotely suitable for really long distances, but utterly competent in every other way
    Last edited by M4tt; 1st September 2018 at 22:41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Buying an old thumper as a first bike,I salute you sir.

I would just love to ride that up one of the French cols.

Imho it all comes down to how you feel on a test ride there are very few really bad bikes nowadays.
    I expect the older non water cooled to increase in value as the hipsters/brat style love that sort of bike.

I’ve had a Bonneville Scrambler for about 8 yrs
    Great summer ride , lots of mods to make it a bit sharper in terms of handling and performance
    Had a T100 before but I’m quite tall and the extra seat height and uprated shocks make the Scrambler much comfier
    Had virtually every other type of bike over the years- big BMW’s, fireblades, Harley, all sorts really.
    Bonneville are nice but vastly better when fettled up a bit!

I've owned a T120 for the last two years, but I'm not sure what insight or tips you're after? IMO it's one of the best Triumphs of recent years, well designed and put together. For A road and motorway use I'd say you should add a screen and for a better sound I've removed the cat, other than that it's pretty much a fine package 'as is' but nevertheless there's a stack of accessories available. Stock seat is fine, you'll get about 60mpg from it and it's not given me a single reliability issue. The only limitation it has for me is it's not too good for 2-up touring, the suspension needed to be upgraded to progressive springs front and rear for this.

Happy to chat it over by phone if you wish.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and have a look at the Kawasaki W650, which is probably a little closer to the original Bonnie in weight and delivery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've owned a T120 for the last two years, but I'm not sure what insight or tips you're after? IMO it's one of the best Triumphs of recent years, well designed and put together. For A road and motorway use I'd say you should add a screen and for a better sound I've removed the cat, other than that it's pretty much a fine package 'as is' but nevertheless there's a stack of accessories available. Stock seat is fine, you'll get about 60mpg from it and it's not given me a single reliability issue. The only limitation it has for me is it's not too good for 2-up touring, the suspension needed to be upgraded to progressive springs front and rear for this.

Happy to chat it over by phone if you wish.

R
    I’m not sure either Ralph, hence the open question :) I feel somewhat out of touch when it comes to new bikes but snippets such as your comment on two-up riding are useful insight and help me build some background awareness of the things to consider.

The T120 was almost silent compared with the stupidly loud America I also rode today. Is de-catting common practice and does it not create issues with mot?

All good insight.

Simon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Oh, and have a look at the Kawasaki W650, which is probably a little closer to the original Bonnie in weight and delivery.
    Will do, but I am somewhat set on buying an old British brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Is de-catting common practice and does it not create issues with mot?
    It's fairly common, there's a number of manufacturers who supply the replacement box needed and they're busy (I know one of them). No MOT issue as there's no emissions test on motorbikes, nor a dB limit - hence the stupidly loud bikes you see hear on the streets.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Jet black Bonneville T120 now on order from the factory and should be with me in the next couple of weeks. I just hope the weather holds out!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It's fairly common, there's a number of manufacturers who supply the replacement box needed and they're busy (I know one of them). No MOT issue as there's no emissions test on motorbikes, nor a dB limit - hence the stupidly loud bikes you see hear on the streets.

R
    Do you know if they check for the BSAU mark at MOT, I often fancied getting a low level exhaust for my Street Triple as the high rise system weights a ton and is a bit dated now, but most low level systems don't have the mark.

R

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Do you know if they check for the BSAU mark at MOT, I often fancied getting a low level exhaust for my Street Triple as the high rise system weights a ton and is a bit dated now, but most low level systems don't have the mark.
    Never had that checked, numerous bikes gone through without the mark on the exhausts.

R

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Motd mine couple of weeks ago and they didn’t.
    No comment on noise either.
    It’s a Harley and quite loud with Vance and Hines pipes.

ook

Master
    Thanks guys, appreciated

Master
    A brief update to say I have had my new Bonnie for just under a couple of weeks and I absolutely love it. No pictures yet (it’s a bog standard jet black T120) but I will try to get some uploaded once it stops raining.

Very happy with my choice, I just wish I had sorted out my license earlier in the year!

Master
    Here she is