closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A tale of two Citizens,

A tale of two Citizens,

Here we have a pair of long lost cousins I think you could say…

The red perlon strap watch being the recent re-edition of the Ray Mears option now called the Citizen BN0118-04E and the other, bracelet option, a few years older is the Citizen BM6401-58E.

At first glance they look, for all intents and purposes, identical. On closer inspection, there is quite a lot of differences between them.

Both Eco-Drive quartz, E-168 and E-111 movements (which means not a lot to me anyway….)

The first has a monocoque case, all gubbins fed in from the dial face and a sapphire crystal and is sized at 40mm diameter, 12mm thickness with a head length of 46mm.
    This case is made from Titanium with it’s typically Ti greyed brushed finish with a 300m water resistance rating with the added bonus of antimagnetism to 4800 gauss.
    The indices are all printed onto the matt black dial and the branding and logo are also printed.
    Very much a tool watch with excellent legibility and a no fuss appearance and blue coloured lume like a torch which lasts through the night.
    A nicely machined 6mm guarded crown is also present.
I believe this is also available on a bracelet at added purchase cost, obviously.

The differing details to the chapter rings sets them apart. Additionally, as there is only about 1mm between the dial sizes, the bracelet watch, with slightly less print on, appears to be less cluttered and more easily read probably due to the less busy chapter ring.

The bracelet watch has a screw down case back, is 41mm in diameter, 11mm thick with a head length of 49mm. Made from stainless steel and brush finished to a very good standard.
    It’s also water resistant to 200m or 20 bar.
    The indices on this model are edged in a silver material giving a slight applied appearance.
    The branding and logo on the dial are also silvered for a better look.
    The silver edged dial work and the bracelet move this watch away from being quite so “toolish” (Is that a real word ?)
    Once again, a guarded crown of 5.5mm, with machined finish help the feel of it when necessary.
    As above, the blue shaded torch like lime is very strong for many hours.

My personal preference is for a bracelet on my watches so the 2nd piece does tend to get more wear from me.

All in all, both watches offer great build quality commensurate to what I feel to be very reasonable prices although the 2nd one is no longer available new, only pre-owned.

Last edited by reggie747; 30th August 2018 at 13:04.

*sigh*

I miss my BM6400, or at least I do whenever I see pics. About as near as it gets to "beater" (Christ, I hate that word) perfection... until it's sitting next to the New Mears. Goddammit, I want one of those.

Well, I think I want one but I know it'd go unworn, I have others that fill that void for significantly less cash.

Master
    Very nice. I prefer the one on the red band personally, as I find the absence of a surround on the numerals a bit more in tune with the robust, functional aesthetic. I'd like it even more without a date.

I just bought the BN0118. Could have preferred the other one but it’s too big for me and not available.