closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ANC wireless headphones shootout!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Undecided between the Sony Mk3 and the Bose now! I guess it will be much of a muchness in the end.
    I'm still deciding. But I don't think ^^^^ that's the case. Maybe in terms of noise cancelling, they're quite close, but in sound quality the Sonys are very bass heavy. It's that your thing then those are the pair to go for, with the Bose having a more neutral sound in comparison. The Sony app allows you to change the sound profile, but if you're planning on listening via the higher quality Bluetooth codecs then you're out of luck as changing the EQ on the Sonys means they revert to using the base quality codec, for some reason.

Bose are still meant to be the comfort kings, but the build quality has me hesitating, along with my liking for a replaceable battery. I'm leaning towards the B&O at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I'm still deciding. But I don't think ^^^^ that's the case. Maybe in terms of noise cancelling, they're quite close, but in sound quality the Sonys are very bass heavy. It's that your thing then those are the pair to go for, with the Bose having a more neutral sound in comparison. The Sony app allows you to change the sound profile, but if you're planning on listening via the higher quality Bluetooth codecs then you're out of luck as changing the EQ on the Sonys means they revert to using the base quality codec, for some reason.

Bose are still meant to be the comfort kings, but the build quality has me hesitating, along with my liking for a replaceable battery. I'm leaning towards the B&O at the moment.
    I am on way to JLP now! Let's see what happens. Seems not many deals around, so will probably just take some advice at JLP then pay RRP if I go for them.

Master
    Went to JLP, and great advice as usual. Was there for 30 mins, tried every brand on with nice demos. The Sony Mk3 were good, but noticeably heavier and just looked bulkier to me. I bought the Bose.
    Others which I liked were the B&O. Agree they are a nice set of headphones, simple design. But sound and noise cancelling, and comfort means Bose won!

Craftsman
    A per usual with this forum I’d never considered a set of anc wireless headphone until now. I’ve spent ages today looking at them as if it’s the only thing I’d ever desired.
    The sennheiser momentum Ivory ones are on offer at £229 at Richer Sounds which seems a bargain to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Went to JLP, and great advice as usual. Was there for 30 mins, tried every brand on with nice demos. The Sony Mk3 were good, but noticeably heavier and just looked bulkier to me. I bought the Bose.
    Others which I liked were the B&O. Agree they are a nice set of headphones, simple design. But sound and noise cancelling, and comfort means Bose won!
    Wish I could decide that quickly. Hope you enjoy them!

What did you prefer sound-wise on the Bose vs. the B&O?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    A per usual with this forum I’d never considered a set of anc wireless headphone until now. I’ve spent ages today looking at them as if it’s the only thing I’d ever desired.
    The sennheiser momentum Ivory ones are on offer at £229 at Richer Sounds which seems a bargain to me.
    Also available for £229 on amazon at the moment, absolute bargain on prime (try them, send them back if you don’t like them):

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless with Active Noise Cancellation- Ivory https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SOM7Y..._GAsRBbD5VJRMS

Master
    Wish I could decide that quickly. Hope you enjoy them!

What did you prefer sound-wise on the Bose vs. the B&O?
    Maybe just me. But just felt a more immersive sound. Felt my ears were more comfortable and nicely enclosed...not a massive audiophile so probably wouldn't be able to answer this much more technically than just how my ears felt and the sound projected.

I will mainly only use for Netflix and radio. So already these are probably overkill if I am honest.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    I am exactly the same. And was thinking on my way home now did that just happen!! I need to show more restraint in future. But if they are used then why not. Guy in shop told me he has a set and been using then three years. Still going strong. So clearly built to last.

Master

John Lewis special offer on Sennheisers

£199, bargain, I'm tempted t buy a second pair.

https://www.johnlewis.com/sennheiser...cream/p1869349

Journeyman
    I've also been trying to decide on a pair of wireless headphones. To me ANC is not a must and would take sound quality over it. My biggest issue has been noticeable lag with any of the in ear wireless models I've tried. I've since decided to get a set of headphones and just use a cable when watching movies on flights.

I was quite sure the 1000xm3 was the one for me, but John Lewis selling the sennheieser at £199 has really got me thinking if the Sony is going to be worth the extra £130!

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    £199, bargain, I'm tempted t buy a second pair.

https://www.johnlewis.com/sennheiser...cream/p1869349

Master
    Just FYI, I get no lag on my iPad or iPhone with the Sennheisers.

Journeyman
    My phone is android but will be watching mostly on my iPad. Think I'll go pick these up today :)

Any idea if there’s a lag on PC?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Any idea if there’s a lag on PC?
    Sorry, no idea. However, in my experience lag is headphone dependent rather than device dependent, so I have some that suffer lag and others that don't, on the same device. In which case I'd venture to say they'd be safe for the PC as well.

I just pulled the trigger on bought the Sennheisers. The price was too good to turn down on the pair that I enjoyed the most when testing a bunch of headphones a few weeks ago. Their SQ was the best for me, by far.

My concern about the ear pads and battery not being replaceable (the reason why the B&O H9is were front runners for a time) goes out of the window for £199, and on reflection, I'd rather great SQ with modest ANC vs. top of the line ANC with compromised SQ. The great build quality is the cherry on top!

Thanks for the heads up, MadeOfCheese!

Journeyman
    I just pulled the trigger on bought the Sennheisers. The price was too good to turn down on the pair that I enjoyed the most when testing a bunch of headphones a few weeks ago. Their SQ was the best for me, by far.

My concern about the ear pads and battery not being replaceable (the reason why the B&O H9is were front runners for a time) goes out of the window for £199, and on reflection, I'd rather great SQ with modest ANC vs. top of the line ANC with compromised SQ. The great build quality is the cherry on top!

Not to mention if you have issues in the first 2 years John Lewis customer service is top notch!

Sorry, no idea. However, in my experience lag is headphone dependent rather than device dependent, so I have some that suffer lag and others that don't, on the same device. In which case I'd venture to say they'd be safe for the PC as well.
    Thanks, might try pair of these. Never got on with my Bose because of the lag (and range) on PC.

Master

ANC wireless headphones shootout!

No probs.

Also, the pads are changeable. In fact I’ve just received a replacement set for my 3 year old pair. Sennheiser oem replacements, £26.

They’re a bit fiddly apparently, but doable.

And in terms of battery life, I’ve been using mine for ~2hrs per day, every weekday except high summer (when they’re just too hot) for the last 3 years, and the battery is still going strong.
    Last edited by MadeOfCheese; 1st October 2018 at 22:10.

Master
    They must be being replaced soon at that type of discount? Good value nonetheless.

Great news about the replaceable ear pads, I had no idea.

I too expect Sennheiser will update/replace these soon; they were released in 2015 I think. However, they won't sound worse just because something newer has been released, and waiting just in case something better comes along can be a mug's game.

Still really chuffed! :)

Master
    ...and they’ll be considerably more expensive. And they won’t come out until late next year at the earliest, I suspect.

They announced their fully wireless earbuds at IFA this year, and they’re not out yet.
    And they’re $300 (so £300).

Two things the inevitable new version will have are Bluetooth v5 and AAC support.

Updated Bluetooth will merely improve the connection stability, which is good, but could always be better.
    AAC support will be good though. Given that that they sound so good without it makes me really excited about how good they’ll sound when updated.

While I haven't delved deeply into the various codecs, I don't think AAC offers better quality than aptX, which the current Sennheisers support. Of course, if one is listening to an apple device then it's a great addition. I'd expect USB C charging too, as a lot of the new headphones are getting this upgrade.

Where do people find the best place to try most of the top headphones out? Richer Sounds?

^^^ John Lewis is pretty good for that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Where do people find the best place to try most of the top headphones out? Richer Sounds?
    Richer sounds for me.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Apple store: return for a full refund within 14 days if you don’t like them.

Amazon prime: return for a full refund within 30 days if you don’t like them.

Journeyman
    So I went to John Lewis to purchase the momentums today, however while I was there I also tried on the Sony 1000xm3 and they really blow the sennheiesers away in terms of comfort.

So I kind of convinced that the extra money on the sonys was not that much and was worth the comfort but when I told the salesman I would like a pair it turns out they're completely out of stock. Currys are out of stock too! So I guess I'm going to have to wait a bit longer for a new set of cans

Craftsman
    Richer Sounds had em last time I looked

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Would be interested to know if anyone with IEMs feels that any ANC headphones sounds good? And if the drop is sound quality is that bad why bother with them?

I know that bose sound terrible (ditched using bose over 14 years ago) in comparison IEMs & when I used the new Sony 1000xM3 on a flight last week I changed mid way and put in my Shure 846 due to the sound quality. (I really did want to like them but will be returning the Sony's this week)

I used the ibasso DX150 as the source for both.

Craftsman
    Microsoft have also just launched their noise cancelling Surface Headphones

Master

ANC wireless headphones shootout!

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Would be interested to know if anyone with IEMs feels that any ANC headphones sounds good? And if the drop is sound quality is that bad why bother with them?

I know that bose sound terrible (ditched using bose over 14 years ago) in comparison IEMs & when I used the new Sony 1000xM3 on a flight last week I changed mid way and put in my Shure 846 due to the sound quality. (I really did want to like them but will be returning the Sony's this week)

I used the ibasso DX150 as the source for both.

I’m not sure you’d refer to any of them as IEMs, but I have had a LOT of earphones over the years, including but not limited to: klipsch x10, RHA 750, B&W C5, etymotic something-or-other, sennheiser momentum (wired and wireless), and various high-end Chi-fi earphones. All of them have been very rewarding in their own way.

I would say that the Sennheiser momentum over-ears are superior to all of them however, both in terms of soundstage and sound quality. They’re not as “pure” as IEMs, and I certainly wouldn’t call them monitors, but in terms of rewarding sound I think they’re second to none.

Wireless, you have to use ANC. Wired, you can turn it off or on. I’d say they sound marginally better wired, without ANC, assuming of course you have no outside noise.

I also have open backed headphones for desk use, AKG 712 Pro, Sennheiser HD650 with Schiit Magni2/Modi2 source. These are a step above the Momentums in terms of soundstage, SQ and clarity, but clearly are no use for anything other than quiet environments.

I hope that somewhat rambling summary gives you an idea of where I think the Sennheisers sit.

Ultimately of course, the only way to know is to try them for yourself.

Master

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 currently GBP 193 on Amazon

Good shout. That's the price I paid when I ended up getting them from John Lewis a few weeks ago. Great price, I think.

Master
    Many thanks also - I have gone for a pair. I also managed to get a further £5 discount but using the new Amazon top up.