closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Piano - can I learn at home?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Piano - can I learn at home?

I’m close to buying a digital piano with the intention of learning, initially at home via one of the myriad of online tutorials or apps that are available.

Has anyone else done this and if so which methods did you use and how successful did you find it.

I have watched a few YouTube piano lesson from different people and they tend to vary grately in the style used and content offered. Starting from scratch I would need a back to basics approach.

Having time on my hands I can easily set aside a few hours a days for practise so time is not an isssue for me, just maybe the lack of the required skills. Lol .

Any pointers would be more than welcome.

If if it helps, I’m nearly 50 and my interest would be slow, relaxing classical stuff and not pop music, maybe a little jazz!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My daughter passed her grade 7 when she was 12 using her electric piano at home & taking lessons from her grandmother over facetime

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    My daughter passed her grade 7 when she was 12 using her electric piano at home & taking lessons from her grandmother over facetime
    Brilliant.

Yes, I've done it. Was extremely keen and it's certainly possible IF you have the interest and want to do it. I did it on my own (I'm musical anyway having learnt flute/guitar) and teacher not necessary if you want to go it alone. There are even more resources today than when I started (2006).

Bought a Yamaha digital piano (full size keyboard), then upgraded to a proper Yamaha upright. Sadly, I now have arthritis in my wrists/fingers so it's been sadly neglected.

Go for it!

(Incidentally, I still have my digital in excellent nick, boxed, complete with stand in the loft. Let me know if you'd be interested).

Master
    I would think it is possible but would suggest it is a false economy to invest all those hours and not have someone that can help. It is easy, particularly in the early stages, to develop bad habits that are difficult to get rid of. A good teacher will keep you on the straight and narrow and will make the process much more enjoyable.

Blog Entries
    have a look here: https://www.klavarskribo.eu/en/

Dutch electro engineer/CEO of a company for industrial electric components/millionaire Cornelis Pot came up with the 'Esperanto for Music'. When I was a little boy, we used to live near his house. A stately mansion on top of a levee, overlooking the Dutch river Merwede.

One disadvantage of Klavar is the fact that the music sheets are mainly focussed on religious music
    Last edited by thieuster; 28th August 2018 at 18:33.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I should add that grandma is a professional piano teacher

Learning at home shouldnt be any problem ,have a look at this site .
    https://pianonanny.com/

Master
    Which of the self teaching apps look at your hand position and make sure it is correct? Which of the apps make sure your fingering is appropriate for your hand size and that you are applying it correctly in your playing? I'm not a luddite (indeed work in technology leadership) but there is a limit to what apps can do in this respect

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Steadily working my way through this and really enjoying it, I dont even have a keyboard yet but have learnt so much about how music is written and how to read it.

Excellent.

Take a look at the Yamaha EZ-220 keyboard - it lights up the keys for you (for a number of pre programmed tunes) and will wait for you to press the notes.

They also do a number of other EZ (EEEZEEE) instruments if you are so inclined.

Rob.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That at all sounds a bit ‘disco’ to me.

I have already narrowed down my choices to 3, needless to the most expensive is swaying at present.

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Take a look at the Yamaha EZ-220 keyboard - it lights up the keys for you (for a number of pre programmed tunes) and will wait for you to press the notes.

They also do a number of other EZ (EEEZEEE) instruments if you are so inclined.

Rob.

Craftsman

Learning piano

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I would think it is possible but would suggest it is a false economy to invest all those hours and not have someone that can help. It is easy, particularly in the early stages, to develop bad habits that are difficult to get rid of. A good teacher will keep you on the straight and narrow and will make the process much more enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Which of the self teaching apps look at your hand position and make sure it is correct? Which of the apps make sure your fingering is appropriate for your hand size and that you are applying it correctly in your playing? I'm not a luddite (indeed work in technology leadership) but there is a limit to what apps can do in this respect
    Totally agree with this and cannot emphasise enough the benefits of a good teacher to supplement what you learn on your own. Bad habits picked up early are really difficult to shake off. I've been playing since age 6, had excellent teachers. My daughter (also 6) has an excellent teacher and I supplement her lessons with further coaching by me at home. I focus a lot on correct hand posture and fingering. It dictates the touch and tone produced. I personally don't have a teacher myself currently but I visit an excellent online resource for more advanced players - Graham Fitch broadcasting from Steinway Hall on YouTube.

Journeyman
    Take a few lessons with a teacher, to see if you're actually interested.

I contemplated buying a digital piano with weighted keys. I didn't in the end. Turns out I like the idea of playing piano more than actually doing it.

But you, don't give up. Follow your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Thanks very much for this.

Can anyone suggest free online lessons for primary school children? Many thanks in advance.

Master
    Yes, it can be done.

When I was 11 I taught myself to play piano and keyboard (different disciplines) on an unused instrument owned by my sister, using little more than books on ‘how to play’.

In 1996 I starting writing professionally. By 2003 I was doing remixes and arrangments for other musicians. By the time I ‘hung up’ my keys in 2010, I’d done remixes for some mainstream acts that had, and continue to ride the charts.

All from a home keyboard and a few books.

If the desire and natural musical talent/appreciation are there, then a keyboard is all you need to get started.

I still do occasional compositions and audio editing/remixing, but for my own pleasure. I will resume very shortly though having begun the process of kitting out a home studio and retuning my ears and fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Yes, it can be done.

When I was 11 I taught myself to play piano and keyboard (different disciplines) on an unused instrument owned by my sister, using little more than books on ‘how to play’.

In 1996 I starting writing professionally. By 2003 I was doing remixes and arrangments for other musicians. By the time I ‘hung up’ my keys in 2010, I’d done remixes for some mainstream acts that had, and continue to ride the charts.

All from a home keyboard and a few books.

If the desire and natural musical talent/appreciation are there, then a keyboard is all you need to get started.

I still do occasional compositions and audio editing/remixing, but for my own pleasure. I will resume very shortly though having begun the process of kitting out a home studio and retuning my ears and fingers.
    Were you in dance music production? Interested to know more!

Master
    Not dance music specifically, really any style that came along. All pretty much electro-based though (except for one piece). Met some great people and became friends with a well-known keyboard player; can’t really mention names on a public forum.

I received some great advice early on from those who know music; and I incorporated that advice into my own compositions. It pays to listen. 👍🏻

I’ve never learned to read music I must add - played from the heart.