closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Samurai - advice please

Seiko Samurai - advice please

I'm enjoying my new found love of watches and especially a little dabble with the less costly brands, almost to the point that I'm thinking off selling off some of my more costly pieces.
    I've bought 4 Steinharts in the last couple of weeks and they give me as much pleasure as some watches costing ten times as much.

One brand that I've no real experience of is Seiko, though I think I've a couple of fussy looking chrono's that do nothing for me gathering dust somewhere. I've spotted a Seiko Samurai that looks quite nice...uncluttered and easy to read. My only concern is size, they're around 43-44mm case width and my sweet spot is 42mm with a lug to lug length of around 48-50mm max' and as much as I'd like to go and buy one (or place a WTB) I don't want to end up with something that feels uncomfortably big.
    I've read that they don't wear "large" but if anyone would like to offer an opinion, I'd like to hear it please. I'm around 6 7/8" wrist size.

I've seen a Save the Ocean version which "looks" quite nice but I'm not sure about this graduated colouring of the dial...sounds a little odd and no-one around here has one or even a bog standard Samurai or I'd go an view myself. For now, unless persuaded otherwise, a black faced SS bracelet version is likely to tick my needs provided it doesn't seem oversized!

Pictures and thoughts appreciated:)

David
    Last edited by jacinabox; 28th August 2018 at 14:14.

Are you referring to the early Samurai Stainless Steel model or the new prospex models.
    Early model as per the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zGOiOK3C0Y

I think you're referring to the Save the Ocean Samurai. If you're not sure, you could always try the Blue Lagoon which is a little simpler?

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Are you referring to the early Samurai Stainless Steel model or the new prospex models.
    Early model as per the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zGOiOK3C0Y
    Should've been clearer and done my homework properly! I'm looking for the latest Prospex model...though the early versions in your link look good but I expect they're not easy to find and probably sell for a fair chunk of cash?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I think you're referring to the Save the Ocean Samurai. If you're not sure, you could always try the Blue Lagoon which is a little simpler?
    Have done a little more ferreting around and the Save the Ocean version is not for me, but I've looked at the Blue Lagoon and that could work and make a nice change from all my black dialled watches; though I don't think a bog standard black dial model would leave me unhappy ...it's the size and wearability that concerns me a little!

David

Craftsman
    I would try one or someting of a similar size.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    Have done a little more ferreting around and the Save the Ocean version is not for me, but I've looked at the Blue Lagoon and that could work and make a nice change from all my black dialled watches; though I don't think a bog standard black dial model would leave me unhappy ...it's the size and wearability that concerns me a little!

David

The waffle dial on the black should provide some visual interest, I'd imagine.
    I just sold my Save the Ocean (never actually wore it, still stickered up!) and the bracelet was so large I could slip my hand through with no trouble and see what it looked like. It didn't seem too large at all - certainly chunkier than the SKX007 it replaced, but nothing too huge. I guess it's just about what you're used to.

Certainly worth a try out.

I have the black dial on bracelet and imho it wears quite small - lug to lug is shorter than you’d imagine making it sit very square on the wrist - not a big watch by any means imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a “Save the Ocean” last month and I find it wears quite small - surprisingly so given the dimensions. It’s square-ish, which helps, and the lugs drop down so it hugs the wrist well. I usually wear watches around 40mm and it doesn’t feel over large at all.

Incidentally, I honestly think that the Save the Ocean dial is one of the nicest-executed at this price point, full stop. Seiko’s dials on the Prospex specials and the Presage “cocktail” watches are gorgeous IMO.

Thanks for chipping in with your thoughts...seems that despite the case size it won't be wearing too big, I've got a WTB posted, so with a little luck something will appear looking for a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    I bought a “Save the Ocean” last month and I find it wears quite small - surprisingly so given the dimensions. It’s square-ish, which helps, and the lugs drop down so it hugs the wrist well. I usually wear watches around 40mm and it doesn’t feel over large at all.

Incidentally, I honestly think that the Save the Ocean dial is one of the nicest-executed at this price point, full stop. Seiko’s dials on the Prospex specials and the Presage “cocktail” watches are gorgeous IMO.
    Without actually seeing in the metal a Save the Ocean version I'm not sure I'm going to like it. If I've got it right, and from what I've seen in pictures, the dial goes from a mid blue at 12 o'clock to a progressively darker blue at the 6 o'clock position - just seems odd to me and lacks any symmetry, could be wrong though.
    For now, I think the Blue Lagoon (if I go for a blue which on any watch in the past I've shied away from) or a black version will be most favoured. May all change though!

David
    Last edited by jacinabox; 28th August 2018 at 22:38. Reason: quoting all wrong!

One of mine on my 7.25" wrist

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I bought the black version for my son last month for his 18th Birthday, He was either going to get the Black or the Blue, he tried the save the ocean version, which is nice but he thought is was too blue. I liked it.

I have a Blue Lagoon version, which is why my son liked the samurai and wanted to get one, I offered him the blue lagoon but sensibly he wanted his own and he will have the blue lagoon one day.

Great watches.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    I bought the black version for my son last month for his 18th Birthday, He was either going to get the Black or the Blue, he tried the save the ocean version, which is nice but he thought is was too blue. I liked it.

I have a Blue Lagoon version, which is why my son liked the samurai and wanted to get one, I offered him the blue lagoon but sensibly he wanted his own and he will have the blue lagoon one day.

Great watches.
    Great photo's chaps and I especially like the look of the Blue Lagoon; compared the photo's I've seen of the Save the Ocean version the BL beats it hands down, personal choice I know.

I've managed to get a used Samurai Padi and I rather like the look of the dial, reminds me of the Omega Seamaster I once had (and shouldn't have sold) with the wavy effect dial it'll add some interest to the face. It comes with a pepsi blue/red bezel insert which is a bit meh, planning to change it for one of the after market black ceramic lumed inserts and a domed saphire crystal - assuming I like the watch when it arrives!

Thanks for all the response's :)

David

They are big, but nothing bigger than a whole raft of other divers, and it's not like there is anything else like the samurai in a smaller size anyway, so if you like it get it.

IMG_6013.JPG
    Save the Ocean beautiful dial forever changes.
    Doesn't wear big but has some heft

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I really need one of these in my collection :) they look lovely

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Wore mine today (regular black dial) and really like it. I think it wears pretty small, no bigger than a ‘monster’ and the square angles of the case actually make it visually shrink imho. Love the hobnail dial, quite fancy the blue dial but the regular as opposed to the padi - don’t like the red highlights. Bracelet very comfy too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My Blue Lagoon LE. Great watch and does not wear to large. The lume is crazy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk