closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boardgames, anyone?

Boardgames, anyone?

There seems to be a bit of a resurgence of boardgames in the UK, with boardgame cafes popping up everywhere and a host of recently released games on Kickstarter and through the usual mainstream producers.

I’ve been playing for a number of years with a core group of friends but have recently convinced the wife and son into playing.

My wife loves Trambahn, Patchwork and Roll For It, my son (7) is enjoying Kingdomino, Exploding Kittens and Incan Gold.

I’m desperate to try X-Wing Miniatures but am waiting for the second edition release in a few weeks.

Have we any other board game geeks on here? Any recommendations?

Master
    Carcassonne has had spousal approval in the past :)

Boardgames, anyone?

For total sci-fi geekdom can I suggest Firefly? It will take about an hour to figure out the rules well enough to play one round. But it’s pretty involving. And it is Firefly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/09922516..._tedGBb96MMBRC

I like Carcasson as well

Not a 'hobby' as such but have discovered the re-edition of 'Escape From Colditz' by Osprey Games a few months ago. Played every other month with grown up sons and we all have thoroughly enjoyed each game. Brilliant game and gets better the more you play. Much thought and care has gone into the artwork, presentation, game components and historical accuracy. Lots of nice touches making it a joy to play. The time goes nowhere.

Have watched a few board game vids on YT for other games and there certainly seems to be lots more to go at... Need like minded people though and lots of time...

Carcass one is a great suggestion, all three of us have played it on console, should be an easy transition to its roots on the board.

I’ve heard good things about Escape From Colditz, I’ll look into it.

Scythe, Root and Gloomhaven look good, for recent ones but all look a bit ‘heavy’ I don’t want to alienate the wife when I’m on a winning streak, we’re on holiday at the moment and she made me head to a boardgame store, we’ve bought Jaipur, Codenames Marvel and Imploding Kittens!

Me and my son play Warhammer 40k, age of Sigmar and Bloodbowl.

We also have a rather expansive set of X-wing but it doesn’t see the light of day very often.

He recently got betrayal at house on the hill which is really interesting to play and easy to pick up.

We also have a very large amount of older more traditional games and picked up a decent Backgammon set here in holiday in North Cyprus which is proving very popular.

Ticket to Ride is a favourite in our house.

I also got Pandemic for Christmas, but to my shame, haven't had the chance/inclination to get it out.

Master
    Catan is brilliant, we all play at home

My BIL is a board games designer and a massive board games geek (self-admitted). His latest is Gloom of Kilforth funded by Kickstarter and it won numerous awards.

Don’t get it myself but horses for courses and all that. Try www.boardgamegeek.com which I believe is very popular.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Me and my son play Warhammer 40k, age of Sigmar and Bloodbowl.
    I think they're technically table top games!?!?

I can't wait until May boys are old enough so I can get back into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I think they're technically table top games!?!?

I can't wait until May boys are old enough so I can get back into it.
    They are indeed but I just mentally keep thinking of the 6x4 table as being a big board. ;)

Backgammon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by racingclub View Post
    Ticket to Ride is a favourite in our house.

I also got Pandemic for Christmas, but to my shame, haven't had the chance/inclination to get it out.
    Pandemic is brilliant and something a little different as it’s cooperative which helps if someone is liable to tip the board over if they’re losing...

Craftsman
    I'm trying to get the family on board.

The ball and chain has been nagging for an 8 foot kitchen table so I built her one. But I also managed to sneak a gaming board underneath the removable top.

The lad playing with a bit of Warhammer:
    IMG_20180808_123613_320x240.jpeg

Sent from my VFD 710 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    I'm trying to get the family on board.

The ball and chain has been nagging for an 8 foot kitchen table so I built her one. But I also managed to sneak a gaming board underneath the removable top.

The lad playing with a bit of Warhammer:
    IMG_20180808_123613_320x240.jpeg

Sent from my VFD 710 using TZ-UK mobile app
    If you aren’t miles away I would suggest a trip to Warhammer World if you like that sort of thing.

Craftsman
    Totally agree that board games seem to be back in a big way. I think they are great value and wholesome fun, with lots on offer for around £30 picking up a new game every month or 2 is a great way to drag the family away from screens.

We are lucky to have had a new store open up just down the road, very welcoming with loads of taster events for new games and for younger players during the holidays and weekends (unfortunately they don't do mailorder, but if you are in or passing through Exeter, these are the guys: https://en-gb.facebook.com/swordandboardexeter/)

A couple of games to look at:

Potion Explosion: Based around collecting marbles to create reactions and potions, this is very accessible, and some great tactics once you get into the game, great for the whole family and my 7 year old finds this great to play despite the suggested age of 14+

Ticket to Ride: The object of this game is to secure rail routes by placing your counters across a map of the US, same as the above, great accessible game, good for younger players.

Also thoroughly enjoyed Pandemic, as a cooperative game it is often a good antidote to me and the wife getting too competitive!

My 10yo daughter got Catan Junior this week and loves it. It is so much better than the standard kids boardgames.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd indulge in a little old school 'Off to the Tower' action.

Or Ludo.

Ticket to ride and Pandemic are now on my ‘to buy’ list.

I heartily recommend www.boardgamegeek.com as mentioned earlier, it is a fantastic resource.

Concept (especially good)

Pandemic

Exploding kittens

Colourbrain

Thanks I will get a couple of these for their birthdays.

Master
    Had a bit of a game week with friend and his wife and just me and the Mrs a couple of times (there has to be a snigger in there somewhere).

Sushi Go Party to get them warmed up - went down well with a few beers

Carcassonne - Think they've only played Risk and Catan but they finished 1-2 with us 3-4

Pandemic - I'd only played this once before and we ran out of cards/time just before completing it. With 4 players we completed it with lots to spare. You can get one person trying to take control though.

And just with the Mrs:

Viticulture - Now my wife has never shown any tactical aptitude in her life ;) but we've now played this 3 times and I've been soundly beaten on each occasion. Didn't think it would appeal to her as its a bit of worker placement, card collecting and resource building but she loves it.

Splendor - I think she fell asleep as I was explaining the rules but it plays really fast once you start. Although I'm 4 up after 4 games its been really close and again she loves this one.

From only playing Monopoly and Cluedo (and Carcassonne a couple of times a year) she's enjoyed them all and is becoming a bit of a fan - ordered Spirit Island which will take a good chunk out of the weekend. Living the dream.

Master
    My girls love Monopoly and Cludo, as they get older (they're 8 and 11) I'm hoping to introduce some more involving games. If anybody has any suggestions for good starter ones, that are a slight step up from the two they play now, please let.me know.

Master
    My regulars are Scythe, Viticulture, Catan (+ expansions), Power Grid and Pandemic.

Smaller games and 2 player stuff - The Resistance, Lost Cities, Kahuna.

Anything by Jamey Stegmaier (includes Scythe and Viticulture above) is normally well balanced, well themed and generally excellent.

Master
    Scythe has been on the list for a while.
    I love the concept and art but I've yet to find a decent play through video online that doesnt plod too much.

Can you recommend it for family play?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got a bag of Games Workshop games from the 1980s - before they focussed on Warhammer Fantasy/40k - waiting for my son to be old enough to play them. Car Wars and Illuminati are also “golden oldies”

Journeyman
    talk of board games and no mention of monopoly - GOAT!

We really enjoy Dixit.

Uckers.

The wife and I have a decent enough collection ranging from quick and very easy games like Zombie Dice to more in depth games like Dark Souls and X-Wing.

For friendly easy to pick up games that are quick and fun;

Zombie Dice
    Carsaconne (of which there is a great Android app)
    King of Tokyo

For games a bit more in depth, challenging and requiring more time.

Mice & Mystics
    X-Wing
    Star Wars: Imperial Assault.

Imperial Assault is our favourite. The core game isn't cheap, and you can get carried away with the many expansions. It's a fun game with a lot of replay value. The game can be played as a 1v1 single mission skirmish, a 1v1, 2 or 3 multi-mission campaign or as 1, 2, 3 or 4 player co-operative multi-mission campaign utilising a free app that acts as the opponent.

We are currently in the middle of a skirmish as set out on the dining room table...

Last edited by SeanST150; 15th September 2018 at 11:14.

Chess? hahaha

Craftsman

The greatest board game

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Backgammon.
    One of the Ten Commandments of Backgammon is 'Thou shalt have no other games before me'

I suspect Go maybe a notch above it intellectually and is certainly more esoteric here in the UK.

We have a backgammon club running at the Rising Sun Abbey Lane Sheffield every Tuesday Night (in its 4th year). We are looked upon as freaks (correctly as it happens) as we do not come out to the pub to piss about on our phones for a few hours like the rest.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    Uckers.
    Up blob, never waste a double!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

I recently pre-ordered the reissue of Dune which I played at school 30 years ago.

There can be only one.

RISK.