closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you know how much you drink?

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine
    I have one Whiskey most nights, maybe 3 or 4 on a Friday and 3 or 4 on a Saturday.

I'm way beyond caring what an NHS graph tells me is too much these days. I'm a big lump of a lad at 6'5'' and 18 stone, i'm literally almose twice the mass of my girlfriend. I just dont see how my tolerances can be measured the same as hers?

Quote Originally Posted by TomRea View Post
    I totally agree
    I assume you each only have a single liver, and that liver processes all of the alcohol you consume. I don't believe your bones or muscles remove alcohol from your system? So does body mass or size make any difference to how much harm alcohol does to you?

Craftsman

some facts

Key facts

Worldwide, 3.3 million deaths every year result from harmful use of alcohol, this represent 5.9 % of all deaths.

The harmful use of alcohol is a causal factor in more than 200 disease and injury conditions.

Overall 5.1 % of the global burden of disease and injury is attributable to alcohol, as measured in disability- adjusted life years (DALYs).(3)

Alcohol consumption causes death and disability relatively early in life. In the age group 20 – 39 years approximately 25 % of the total deaths are alcohol-attributable.

There is a causal relationship between harmful use of alcohol and a range of mental and behavioural disorders, other noncommunicable conditions as well as injuries.

The latest causal relationships have been established between harmful drinking and incidence of infectious diseases such as tuberculosis as well as the course of HIV/AIDS.

Beyond health consequences, the harmful use of alcohol brings significant social and economic losses to individuals and society at large.

Source Key facts World Health Organisation

http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/alcohol

HMG protects tax income from duty raised. The cost of A&E, police, lost production, accidents and other related abuse costs would be reduced significantly if consumption lowered.

The downside might be that a completely sober population might not suit any government.

I watched the drinker like me with Adrian Chiles too, it was very interesting. I have about 5 drinks last year, being a pub landlord, it would be too easy to just help myself so 14 years ago I told myself not to drink unless it's very special occasion like Christmas etc etc.

Blog Entries
    I think it's a combination of a lot of things, looking at the average life expectancy in the EU, countries like France, Spain and Italy do even (a bit) better than countries in Northern Europe.

France (used to) be a country where wine was/is given to children and taken with the lunch, but I can't find anything about large numbers of people having liver problems.

If you are a big drinker with bad eating habits and are overweight you are probably more at risk than someone eating healthy, exercising and drinking a couple of glasses of wine every night.

I think.......
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I was drinking steadily more and more, probably 6 nights out of 7, generally a bottle of wine per evening, sometimes 1.5 or after the first bottle was done I’d have some large Brandy’s or Whiskey’s. Probably 70 units a week on a bad week (most weeks).

I decided last week to knock it on the head. Not a single drop has passed my lips for a week. Cannot say I’m missing it either. Determined to keep it going until my Chalet Ski holiday in January.

Do you know how much you drink?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I assume you each only have a single liver, and that liver processes all of the alcohol you consume. I don't believe your bones or muscles remove alcohol from your system? So does body mass or size make any difference to how much harm alcohol does to you?
    ‘Body weight determines the amount of space through which alcohol can diffuse in the body. In general, a person who weighs 180lbs will have a lower blood alcohol concentration than a 140lb person who drank the same amount.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had about 8 pints Saturday then same again Sunday. Felt ruff all day Monday
    Won’t drink now till sat And prob do the the same again.
    I’ll,knock it on the head when I don’t enjoy it

Master
    Reading an old thread and thought could be worth a bump as most of us are in lock down.

Did a quick unit count for the last week and I am definitely way over the NHS recommendations currently. 'Thinking about' cutting it slightly soon...anybody else finding an increased consumption in recent weeks!?

Craftsman
    My fuel costs have gone down but any savings do seem to be spent on wine. We normally only drink wine at weekends the problem is that at the moment every day seems to be a weekend.

Only for medicinal purposes, red wine might help alleviate some covid symptoms

https://www.worldpharmanews.com/rese...e-inflammation

A component of red wine and grapes can help control inflammation induced by a bacterial pathogen that is linked to upper respiratory tract inflammatory diseases such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD) and middle ear infection (otitis media), according to a study by researchers at Georgia State University. The findings, published in the online journal Scientific Reports, identify a novel mechanism that resveratrol, a compound found naturally in some plant foods such as grapes, uses to alleviate inflammation in airway disease. The results suggest this compound could offer health benefits and be used to develop new, effective anti-inflammatory therapeutic agents.
    "We showed that an important component in red wine and also grapes called resveratrol can suppress inflammation,

Lynn and I restrict our drinking to the weekends, with the occasional relapse if there's something to celebrate.

We'll be having pitta bread and dips for lunch with a glass of rose wine. Maybe a G&T around 5pm and a glass or two of red with dinner tonight, then nothing until Friday evening.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I'm probably 2 pints a week, Girlfriend managed half a bottle of red and half a bottle of Jack Daniels last night!

Blog Entries
    I haven’t touched / tasted alcohol in years. I’m not a teetotaler in the way that I’m against alcohol in general. But it’s not doing me any good when I drink.
    Last edited by thieuster; 19th April 2020 at 13:28.

Few sharpeners in the morning with breakfast, a couple at lunch, a few at 3pm with a snack, then a bottle of wine with dinner and then a night-cap - so very moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Few sharpeners in the morning with breakfast, a couple at lunch, a few at 3pm with a snack, then a bottle of wine with dinner and then a night-cap - so very moderate.
    Lightweight

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Been drinking whisk(e)y every night for the last week or so as I'm trying to get rid of the bottles before we move house...whenever that may be!

Before lockdown I had a pint a week, that's it! Never drink spirits, hate whiskey too.🍺

My very matter-of-fact old-school GP couldn't bring himself to disagree with me when I suggested the NHS wants us all to live utterly joyless, if longer, lives. He thinks the official guidance is "a bit stiff" and gave me his own in one sentence: Enjoy a few drinks when you want to, but don't go crackers, and not on a school night — the last bit being particularly important. He told me the worst effects of drinking he sees are from folk who drink something every single day and therefore never give their liver ("a surprisingly resilient organ") a chance to recover.

Before lockdown I would drink two bottles of red max over the Fri to Sun weekend and nothing in between. When Covid kicked in I was drinking every night so around 1/2 bottle per night. I've managed to stop drinking in the week so I'm back to my pre lockdown consumption pattern of 1.5 ish bottles of red Fri to Sun.

Do you know how much you drink?

Having started off lockdown on a bottle of wine a night between us, we decided that this was too much and have moderated that to a bottle between us every other night, with the odd stubby bottle of french beer in between days.
    We reckon we're looking at around 20-25 units a week each depending on the strength of the booze.

This is definitely actually less than I might have been drinking pre-lockdown, as I was partial to at least a couple of pints of real ale down the pub most evenings, which I thoroughly enjoyed, with a glass or two of wine with a meal on occasion, alongside dinner or the odd pub lunch. Madam usually drank considerably less pre-lockdown, but I think her uptake has actually increased since.

So all in all, I don't feel we're particularly over the top at this point given our usual lifestyle, and the fact that we are now positively monitoring our consumption, however... I can't wait for to stand at the bar once more, supping my pint!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's been reported today that pubs may be the last places to reopen, possibly not until Christmas.

There won't be any pubs left to reopen if that's the case.

Master
    Gone from drinking not a lot 2-3 times a week to almost every night now, but normally only one glass or beer or wine (or a G&T). Still have the odd night I don’t drink, and the odd night where I will have a couple, but seems to average out.

Strange how this happens, as never considered this as one of the side effects of lockdown for me

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic;[URL="[URL
    tel:4861856[/URL]"]4861856[/URL]]More or less knocked it on the head since Jan. Like everyone else, never considered myself a big drinker, more of a big hangover sufferer.
    It's saved me a fortune in paracetamol too.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Me from 2018. In that time I lost over 20lbs just going teetotal, since then we moved to W.Sussex 6 months ago nearer the coast and around us we have some lovely pubs within walking distance and many more in town. Whilst exploring the local area it’s been too easy for the missus and I to just pop in for a pint and a G+T maybe once a week, it’s almost rude not to.
    I still haven’t drunk at home but it’s not taken long for the my belt to go back up a notch and for me to just blame it on the odd bag of crisps I’d have with a pint.

Funny thing I noticed when I knocked booze on the head is how normal and apparently humorous the excessive consumption of alcohol is accepted, pop into Clinton’s (whenever they open again) and take a look at the “funny” cards and about 50% of them are jokes about excessive drinking or if I ever have the need to go onto Facebook someone’s posting a pic of an enormous glass of Prosecco. I don’t see the difference between that or if there were greeting cards and FB posts about excessive gambling or drug taking. Just my take and how I’ve probably changed in the last 2 years.

Craftsman
    Very little, as the 70's and 80's weekend's are a blank :)

Craftsman
    Too much. I need to cut down.

Journeyman
    I've always been a big drinker. My parents were publicans for 30 years so it's sort of part of my DNA however we never had booze in the private accomodation.
    When my kids were born I stopped with going out every night and only went out on a Friday night and Sunday lunch. This carried on until they became self sufficient and me and Mrs D started going out more regularly at the weekend. Still never drank at home.
    The lock down, however, has seen me drinking every night. At least 5 beers and normally a bottle of wine. Piled on the weight that I'd started to shift after Christmas due to holidays booked. 21stone at the moment. Found an old picture of me on holiday in 2012 and I could've cried as it's like looking at a different person.
    Anyway, roll on normality so I can get back to work and get in a bit of a routine again and look forward to a more healthy existance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post
    The lock down, however, has seen me drinking every night ...
    The best advice for anyone anxious about cumulative drinking is to keep a drinks diary, an honest daily account of the intake. To do it properly one does need to be clued up about units - too many people say, "oh, one glass of red, so one unit", when it was a third of a bottle of 14% wine and therefore at least three units. It takes seconds to do at the end of the day. That way there's no hiding, thinking "oh, it's Friday, I haven't had too much this week", when you look in the book and it shows you've already had 40 units. It also allows you to set targets: 2 days off a week, then 3 etc, which makes a moderate weekly total dramatically easier to attain. And it can actually enable you to enjoy a drink more, i.e. instead of thinking, guiltily, "oh god, here we go again, I really shouldn't", you might be able to think "I've had two nights off, so am going to relish this glass of" etc.

I have always been a beer drinker since about 16, I really enjoy a good pint of beer (not lager) but I have noticed my intake creep up during lock down
    I usually have a few nights off during the week with beers (5/6 pints) on Friday, Saturday Sunday (I also have a couple on a Wednesday when I meet my father) however since lock down I am having 1/2 pints every night with only the odd night off. On the plus side the weekend beers are now only 2/3 pints a night so not on the lash.
    I am very fortunate that I do not like spirits of any type so don’t touch them or wine.
    Beer only for me and I prefer lower alcohol craft beer. However I need to go running as opposed to cracking a bottle open.

A lot

My consumption has gone down since the lockdown.

While I'll have a beer with dinner or a whisky in the evening now and then, most of my drinking is truly 'social', so not having anyone to shoot the breeze with in a pub or at our weekly dive club meeting means I'm drinking far less now.

I am, though, eating far more rubbish...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    I think a lot of it is boredom after a day doing the same thing as the day before knowing you will be doing the same thing again tomorrow.