closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The current collection

Threaded View

Master

The current collection

Having been into watches for about 11 years I’ve been through a lot of watches. The last 5 years have seen the collection thin down considerably to only one watch as a house move, baby, extension and loft conversion have a habit of requiring a ton of cash.

Fortunately I’ve now come out the other side and am now starting to build the collection back up. Having picked up a new piece earlier today I thought it would be fitting to do a “SOTC” the mark the occasion.

This Tag is the oldest watch in the collection. It was my very first nice watch and a gift from my grandparents nearly 25 years ago. It’s not one that gets much wrist time but brings back fond memories when looking at it. This isn’t going anywhere and was my only watch for a while when I was in the midst of various building work. Think it’s 34mm wide and has a lovely thin case.

Super comfy jubilee style bracelet.

The watch has been through thick and thin and has never missed a beat.

Next oldest in the collection is the Pam 392.

Having been through a few panerai (312, 233, 231 to name a few) I finally came to the conclusion that 44mm pams are just too big. The 392, at 42mm, may not be the traditional Pam size but is super comfy and is perfect for me. It’s the only one of my watches with a clear case back too.

Next to join was the Tudor Pelagos.

Now Tudor was never on my radar until about a year ago when I bought a black bay heritage 41mm ETA version. It really opened my eyes to the brand as for the money the quality is right up there. Such well built solid watches. The BB41 ended up with my brother and I bought a north flag but quickly moved that on as I couldn’t gel with it. Still wanting a tudor I had a look at the Pelagos and once I tried it on just knew it was for me. The titanium keeps the weight down and the blue just pops. I wear this on the rubber strap and it feels great on the wrist.

A helium escape valve is a nice touch and is a real show of the watches diving credentials.

Up next, the Rolex DJ41

Rolex has always been a staple in my watch collections over the years and I’ve pretty much been through every SS model, Subs, LV’s LVc, BLNR’s Milgauss, Daytonas. Early on also did dabble in an 18K GMT, obviously with hindsight I would have kept a lot of the models I’ve sold with prices the way they are now but hey ho, at the time needs must and all that. With having owned SS sports models in the past and paying a lot less than current pricing I wasn’t prepared to stump up the cash for them. I mentally couldn’t do it. This made me look to something new, hence my DJ41. I’ve owned the old DJII in the past but that only stayed with me for a month or so as it was just too chunky and I didn’t like the large dial indicies. With the DJ41 I was pleasantly surprised. The case profile is perfect and wraps around the wrist.

Oyster bracelet is lovely too, just feels so solid.

Next up needs no introduction...

Over my 11 watch buying/selling years not once had I considered an Omega. Not sure why really but I have been missing some great watches from them and now I have this new Speedy pro moonwatch I have a new appreciation for the brand. After trying in both the hesalite and sapphire version I went with hesalite as the domed crystal is just lovely and doesn’t have the milky white ring around the dial like the sapphire glass model. Bracelet and clasp feel solid and love winding the manual movement when I put it on. Overall really happy with the watch.

Last up and newly added today is the Tudor Black Bay 58

Having been a fan of the 41mm model but not keen on the slab like side profile and thickness Tudor answered my prayers when they announced this watch at Basel in March this year. Waiting for his watch has been agony but glad it is now finally on my wrist. As a few people have said in the flesh it was actually smaller than I was expecting, but I was not disappointed. The watch is a perfect fit in the wrist and is perfectly proportioned. Winner in my eyes!

So that wraps up the collection. A final group shot.

So although I may not have some of the big hitters I have owned in the past overall I am really happy with the collection.

Thanks for reading.

Mike
    Last edited by michael.jaye; 21st August 2018 at 17:59.