closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The current collection

Master

The current collection

Having been into watches for about 11 years I’ve been through a lot of watches. The last 5 years have seen the collection thin down considerably to only one watch as a house move, baby, extension and loft conversion have a habit of requiring a ton of cash.

Fortunately I’ve now come out the other side and am now starting to build the collection back up. Having picked up a new piece earlier today I thought it would be fitting to do a “SOTC” the mark the occasion.

This Tag is the oldest watch in the collection. It was my very first nice watch and a gift from my grandparents nearly 25 years ago. It’s not one that gets much wrist time but brings back fond memories when looking at it. This isn’t going anywhere and was my only watch for a while when I was in the midst of various building work. Think it’s 34mm wide and has a lovely thin case.

Super comfy jubilee style bracelet.

The watch has been through thick and thin and has never missed a beat.

Next oldest in the collection is the Pam 392.

Having been through a few panerai (312, 233, 231 to name a few) I finally came to the conclusion that 44mm pams are just too big. The 392, at 42mm, may not be the traditional Pam size but is super comfy and is perfect for me. It’s the only one of my watches with a clear case back too.

Next to join was the Tudor Pelagos.

Now Tudor was never on my radar until about a year ago when I bought a black bay heritage 41mm ETA version. It really opened my eyes to the brand as for the money the quality is right up there. Such well built solid watches. The BB41 ended up with my brother and I bought a north flag but quickly moved that on as I couldn’t gel with it. Still wanting a tudor I had a look at the Pelagos and once I tried it on just knew it was for me. The titanium keeps the weight down and the blue just pops. I wear this on the rubber strap and it feels great on the wrist.

A helium escape valve is a nice touch and is a real show of the watches diving credentials.

Up next, the Rolex DJ41

Rolex has always been a staple in my watch collections over the years and I’ve pretty much been through every SS model, Subs, LV’s LVc, BLNR’s Milgauss, Daytonas. Early on also did dabble in an 18K GMT, obviously with hindsight I would have kept a lot of the models I’ve sold with prices the way they are now but hey ho, at the time needs must and all that. With having owned SS sports models in the past and paying a lot less than current pricing I wasn’t prepared to stump up the cash for them. I mentally couldn’t do it. This made me look to something new, hence my DJ41. I’ve owned the old DJII in the past but that only stayed with me for a month or so as it was just too chunky and I didn’t like the large dial indicies. With the DJ41 I was pleasantly surprised. The case profile is perfect and wraps around the wrist.

Oyster bracelet is lovely too, just feels so solid.

Next up needs no introduction...

Over my 11 watch buying/selling years not once had I considered an Omega. Not sure why really but I have been missing some great watches from them and now I have this new Speedy pro moonwatch I have a new appreciation for the brand. After trying in both the hesalite and sapphire version I went with hesalite as the domed crystal is just lovely and doesn’t have the milky white ring around the dial like the sapphire glass model. Bracelet and clasp feel solid and love winding the manual movement when I put it on. Overall really happy with the watch.

Last up and newly added today is the Tudor Black Bay 58

Having been a fan of the 41mm model but not keen on the slab like side profile and thickness Tudor answered my prayers when they announced this watch at Basel in March this year. Waiting for his watch has been agony but glad it is now finally on my wrist. As a few people have said in the flesh it was actually smaller than I was expecting, but I was not disappointed. The watch is a perfect fit in the wrist and is perfectly proportioned. Winner in my eyes!

So that wraps up the collection. A final group shot.

So although I may not have some of the big hitters I have owned in the past overall I am really happy with the collection.

Thanks for reading.

Mike
    Last edited by michael.jaye; 21st August 2018 at 17:59.

Journeyman
    A really well rounded collection with a nice variation on brands and styles. Congrats on the new black bay OP!

Some super pieces there. The speedy and DJ 41, I particularly like.

Master
    Lovely collection, and nice mix. That speedy looks spot on!

Lovely all round collection.
    Especially liked to seeing the TAG with all its battle scars

Craftsman
    Great mix, thanks for the write up and sharing. How does the BB58 size compare to the speedy?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Great mix, thanks for the write up and sharing. How does the BB58 size compare to the speedy?
    Here a quick and dirty side by side shot.

The BB58 wears a lot smaller, is lighter and has a bracelet that tapers to a narrower clasp. (Not surprising as the BB58 is 39mm and the speedy 42mm). To me the BB58 fits better, but that’s probably due to the BB58 having more micro adjustments positions in the clasp. The speedy is still a comfy watch on the wrist though, but relative to the 58 feels like it has more presence.
    Last edited by michael.jaye; 21st August 2018 at 17:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Lovely all round collection.
    Especially liked to seeing the TAG with all its battle scars
    Thanks. Most of those were picked up when I was a teenager wearing the watch pretty much anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Here a quick and dirty side by side shot.
    Hmm, that looks a perfect size compared to my speedy, I can definitely feel a new hankering taking shape. Thanks (I think)!!

Craftsman
    Great collection, thanks for sharing. Is the TAG mechanical or quartz?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kosumi View Post
    Great collection, thanks for sharing. Is the TAG mechanical or quartz?
    Quartz

Apprentice
    Great collection. The blue on the Pelagos looks fantastic.

Journeyman
    Nice write up. Lovely collection. Like the DJ and Speedmaster especially

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Love the diversity created within a small number of pieces. Very well selected - any future plans ?

Nice rounded collection.

I’m still undecided on BB58, grrr.

nice and doesn't the speedy always seem to draw you in - in any group of watches...they really are good value to in comparison with say a daytona...damb

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Love the diversity created within a small number of pieces. Very well selected - any future plans ?
    Thanks. I’ve had a heavy 6 months with all bar the tag and Pam being bought in that period so I need to have a break. I think I may see what Rolex model is announced at Basel 2019 and take it from there. At the moment I’m quite content with what I have. What I need to do is stopping looking here and getting tempted by other watches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Nice rounded collection.

I’m still undecided on BB58, grrr.
    Undecided on whether you like it or want to buy one? If thinking about buying what I would say is definitely try it on as it looks nicer in the flesh. Also the more I wear it the more how small I think it wears. Not a bad thing, just an observation. Of course it also depends on what size watch you are used to wearing.

Journeyman
    yeah really nice collection there. a couple of classics. the speedie seems like the watch everyone would like. my fave out of them all is the pelagos.

Lovely collection there OP. Something for every occasion. I do like the pelagos in blue flavour. What’s it like on rubber?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Lovely collection there OP. Something for every occasion. I do like the pelagos in blue flavour. What’s it like on rubber?
    The Pelagos is very comfortable with the rubber strap. For me I get the perfect fit with it and makes the whole watch wear very light on the wrist. Plus it just goes so well with the blue dial and just makes the whole watch feel/look a bit different. Obviously not something I can wear to the office with a suit but perfect for the weekend at the park or swimming pool with my daughter.

I have that Tag too. They’re amazingly well put together for the money, with a lovey profile too. Make sure you keep a little wrist time for it every now and then 👍

Blog Entries
    I am loving that DJ, Michael. Similar profile to my YM I think.

Great collection. Martyn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I am loving that DJ, Michael. Similar profile to my YM I think.

Great collection. Martyn
    Thanks Martyn, would love to see a profile shot of your YM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a well balanced and tasteful collection you have there. Really nice. The Pelagos looks smashing on that blue rubber.
    J

Craftsman
    Very nice SOTC. Nice photo's too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Great collection, loving the Pegalos

Really nicely balanced collection. I usually see collections that for me are almost perfect but for the omission of a dress watch however you have nailed it with the DJ.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk