closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smoke alarms/Building Regs

Journeyman

Smoke alarms/Building Regs

I had a two story side extension constructed in 2006. On completion, we never had building regs signed off( due to threat of council tax rebanding etc).
    Fast forward to 2018, and now looking to sell property so requiring signingoff. Building inspector has now said that we require seals around fire doors(not too much of an issue), but also require interlinked hard wired smoke detectors. This is gonna be a bit of a nightmare, so instead, installed battery power (sealed) detectors. This was turned down.
    The fit hard wired sensors is going to mean chasing plaster etc, and a lot of redecoration.
    Does anybody have any knowledge of current regs, and if the building inspector is correct in his demands?

We had to have them - informed during the build, so not the same issue.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Might be wrong but can't you take power off a light & use radio linked bases for interlinking

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonbed View Post
    the building inspector is correct in his demands?
    The Building Inspector is correct in his demands because he's the Building Inspector. No amount of ar$ing about otherwise is going to get you your completion certificate.
    Do what he has asked you to do and Bob's your Uncle. I can't understand why you didn't get the cert years ago.
    Surely, you can use some of the money you saved on council tax re-banding to sort it out ?
    Reminds me of that thing in Greece where all the buildings have re-bar sticking out of the concrete on the roofs of buildings to gain a tax concession as an "unfinished, incomplete building".
    Maybe if the Greek government had said "Yeah, right", their economy wouldn't have had the guts fallen out of it.

Master
    I always spec mains linked alarms when submitting building regs apps. If I don’t, Building Control always pick up on it and condition it on the approval notice. As mentioned above, they can be on separate circuits and radio linked. See section 1....

https://www.labc.co.uk/sites/default....v1.200417.pdf
    Last edited by benny.c; 21st August 2018 at 00:26.

Just had a 2 storey side extension and had to have two hard-wired smoke alarms fitted. They also had to have their own switch at the consumer unit, which also had to be replaced with a metal one to meet current regs.
    Luckily, as all the carpets were up, all the wiring was concealed in existing voids, so I couldn't tell they'd been done.
    The windows also had to be a certain spec, as the regs for those change quite often too. TBH, it's always best to get the cert at the time of the build because if there's anything wrong, it would be the builder's problem, not mine.

Master
    What about the mains powered Nest alarms? This is what we had put in for our 2nd floor extension recently. We have 4 of them throughout the house that are linked together wirelessly

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Yes, he is correct as others have said.

A word to the wise. BCOs do not like retrospective applications one little bit as they are effectively an admission of ignoring the law and attempting to sidestep their authority; think 'Contempt of Court' and you are on the right lines.

Your BCO would be well within their rights to insist that all concealed elements of structure (including foundations) are exposed for inspection, cavities opened up and floor slabs broken out locally to prove the inclusion of insulation etc etc. They could then start considering the rest of the house and the need for consequential improvements. If they are not being brutal and taking that approach then don't antagonise them by challenging their 'simple to rectify' observations - they have the power to make life very challenging indeed if provoked.

The 'cheapest' option is likely a set of wired nest alarms.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    Yes, he is correct as others have said.

A word to the wise. BCOs do not like retrospective applications one little bit as they are effectively an admission of ignoring the law and attempting to sidestep their authority; think 'Contempt of Court' and you are on the right lines.

Your BCO would be well within their rights to insist that all concealed elements of structure (including foundations) are exposed for inspection, cavities opened up and floor slabs broken out locally to prove the inclusion of insulation etc etc. They could then start considering the rest of the house and the need for consequential improvements. If they are not being brutal and taking that approach then don't antagonise them by challenging their 'simple to rectify' observations - they have the power to make life very challenging indeed if provoked.
    Gulp!!
    Thank you very much to all.
    Looks like I shall be running some cables!

Master
    If it was oringally constructed under building regs but just not signed off there’ll be no need for a retrospective app or opening up of existing works. Don’t panic ;-)

Will they know when it was constructed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    The 'cheapest' option is likely a set of wired nest alarms.
    This what we did & Building Inspector has accepted this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Smoke alarms/Building Regs

Your buyer can buy an indemnity policy that covers the cost of having to put this right should anything happen i the future for £70ish. Just offer to pay that. Not having final sign off is very , very common. I’ve bought properties with extensions made decades ago without BC sign off . All lenders bar one were happy with this. Indemnity polices are used when certain sign off /paperwork etc is missing .

I would offer to do this . Their conveyancer will be very familiar with this.

May be a bit late now BC have already been to sight though....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    May be a bit late now BC have already been to sight though....
    Ahh , apologies I misunderstood I didn’t know they had been. I thought that was the left over work to do from construction .

Craftsman