closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple to kill off iTunes

Apple to kill off iTunes

18 years too late as far as I'm concerned, what a god awful program that was even on a Mac.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...d-kill-itunes/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    18 years too late as far as I'm concerned, what a god awful program that was even on a Mac.
    Agree. Ditto for PC.

How anyone could maintain such a poor interface for so long is beyond me. One reason why I have never really used an iPhone for music etc..

Master
    Hurrah, it's the reason I'm an Android person not an iOS one.

In the early days it was good, I remember using it a lot with my iMac and iPod mini. But when iPhone came out and it iTunes was the platform to back-up your phone and photos it all got a bit crap and didn't know what it was supposed to be any longer.

All a bit presumptive?

Text of the story is:

Apple is thought to be winding down its iTunes music programme as the company looks to rebrand its entertainment services

Last edited by robcuk; 3rd June 2019 at 18:30.

I’ve never had a problem with iTunes.

It is THE clunkiest program ever !

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Not have I.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Not have I.
    I’ll 3ʳᵈ that. Don’t mess about with synching though, manual back ups and manually drag and drop music on and off my 7+.
    F.T.F.A.

I used the iTunes programme many years ago, until I discovered MusicBee, which just does everything better. https://getmusicbee.com/

Apple are doing this to the iTunes service in order to separate their music, TV and podcast offerings, so it's entirely possible that the iTunes programme will continue on as a music-only application.

Master
    Its alright until you want to do something more than just buy music of itunes. Then its a big pile . And I think its deliberate.

iTunes is as old now, as CDs were when iTunes arrived. The writing was on the wall for iTunes in 2012 IMHO.

iTunes audio and video functionality will be split into 3 apps in MacOS Catalina when it is released in the Autumn. The apps are:

Music
    Podcasts
    TV

When you plug an iOS device into a Mac, no app will open. Instead it will appear as a device in the sidebar of Finder. When you click on it, the sync control window will be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Hurrah, it's the reason I'm an Android person not an iOS one.

Same, I bought an iPod shuffle back in the day and after iTunes took over my pc messing everything up it put me off apple completely.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I’ll 3ʳᵈ that. Don’t mess about with synching though, manual back ups and manually drag and drop music on and off my 7+.
    Agree. I am manually managing everything since my first iphone and never got any problems.

iTunes was the program that made me move to Linux about 15 years ago. I resented the way it tried to manage everything for me, and once when there was a problem with my account, I lost a paid for songs. Even Apple couldn't recover all of them. I'm back on Macs currently but my audio files go nowhere near iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    iTunes audio and video functionality will be split into 3 apps in MacOS Catalina when it is released in the Autumn. The apps are:

Music
    Podcasts
    TV

When you plug an iOS device into a Mac, no app will open. Instead it will appear as a device in the sidebar of Finder. When you click on it, the sync control window will be shown.
    I like the sound of it already.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Its alright until you want to do something more than just buy music of itunes. Then its a big pile . And I think its deliberate.
    Totally agree, if it’s junked it will be a step in the right direction.

B

Amazing how the iPhone is very easy to use - iMac not too bad - but the iTunes software is so annoying it virtually made me stop listening to music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I still use an ipod shuffle so I need iTunes to manage that. No complaints. I haven't bought from the store in years but it does have a good list of the new releases every week.

I read that they dont have any plans to change the windows version of iTunes yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I read that they dont have any plans to change the windows version of iTunes yet.
    Yep, the new apps are Mac only. Windows retains iTunes.

That was my experience too!

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Same, I bought an iPod shuffle back in the day and after iTunes took over my pc messing everything up it put me off apple completely.

Love Apple, hate iTunes, use Spotify.

Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with iTunes little bit annoying when making playlists but other than that for the few times I used it to backup my phone and change the music around it worked ok

Journeyman
    Alleluia. I can finally dump this off my PC without bothering my Apple-obsessed fiance. Garbage software.

iTunes will remain as it is on the PC. The changes are only being made to the MacOS version when Catalina is released.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    iTunes will remain as it is on the PC. The changes are only being made to the MacOS version when Catalina is released.
    Oh Phil, how you bear bad news. 😁

Master
    I'm so pleased to hear that others disliked iTunes - I thought I was alone ;-)

Should have been done years ago

Blog Entries
    Yep, the new apps are Mac only. Windows retains iTunes.
    Good i have never liked it as a music platform however i do use it to back up our pads and phones to the laptop just to old to trust the cloud alone.

Blog Entries
    More than iTunes itself I have always found irritating that all updates, syncing, backup to new phones etc had necessarily to be done on iTunes. Music and servicing should be through two different paths imho.

Happy to see it going

Franco (Apple user since 1989)

Finally! Glad to see it gone, let's hope the replacement apps are more friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Actually, that is a point to ponder - is apple to replace it with a viable product for manual backups.

I use the backup facility for "cloning" my three phones depending on which one I am using and for what trip etc.

I do Sync for some documents but have never encountered issues other than music library transfers which can be a bit iffy.

I also use copy trans for note archives and other stuff and I note that there is a facility for backup though I have never used it.

B

All sync options such as backup are being moved from iTunes to Finder in MacOS Catalina.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    More than iTunes itself I have always found irritating that all updates, syncing, backup to new phones etc had necessarily to be done on iTunes.
    Wasn't there some rule about only ever being able to register iTunes on so many devices? They wanted you to de-register before uninstalling.

I only use iTunes on my pc to load my own music to my iPhone,so is there another way to do this and I will drop it ?

iTunes works but it’s archaic - clunky - has a hideously non intuitive interface and others do it better. It won’t be missed. Always amazes me that the company that brought out the amazing iPhone also produced the iTunes mess.