closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boiler help needed - any thoughts

Boiler help needed - any thoughts

So
    Potterton F boiler
    Neverhad any probs other than it had a new board couple years ago

I’m not here much so have both water and heating perm off and just switch on when needed

Today is such a day and switched the water on at the timed thingy and left a while

No flame when turning hog tap on

Tried the heating - popped it in and turned it up - again no flame

I’ve had the panel off the front and a plastic knob has sheared where you can control the strength of the heat - I’ve turned it with pliers - still nothing

Any thoughts - or is t get a man out? Was find the other day and my shower is electric so no rush
    Last edited by Sweepinghand; 19th August 2018 at 16:05.

Blog Entries
    Man falling from sky sees man flying up towards him.

Shouts "Hey do you know anything about parachutes?"

Man flying upwards shouts back "No do you know anything about gas boilers?"............

Call British Gas.

Ian

You should be able to see if there is power getting to the boiler?
    Any power getting to the programmer? Do you get any LED lights to indicate programmer is working?
    Do you see any movement on heating/hot water zone valves? (Or is it combi?)
    Is it an old boiler with a permenant pilot light? Maybe the high winds have extinguished it?
    If it has a sequential pilot light - is that igniting? Can you hear/see the electrodes sparking to ignite the gas?
    Is the mains gas valve open?

The above are things which could help narrow down the problem and it may be a simple electrical supply problem.

If not - call a qualified gas engineer in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Which model is it exactly? Never heard of a potterton F.

Craftsman
    Combo boiler? Has it lost water pressure, usually about 1.5 on the scale?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks like it fixed itself.

I’ve actually done it!

Trial and error

Took the front off and found what I can only describe as a very well hidden button that seemed to click inwards

It fired it and more importantly on and off etc as it was before is working

Nice feeling as I’m rubbish at anything like this

Craftsman
    I think that’s the overheat safety button. My Potterton Profile 60e overheat button pops out occasionally but it’s underneath so there’s nothing to remove to gain access. It’s 26 years old, had a couple of replacement panels and it’s getting a bit noisey now so it’s being changed in the next month or so. I bet the new one doesn’t last half as long!

Master
    Thats just the relight button after the pilot has blown out by the sounds of it.

Press button and hold for 30 seconds - relase slowly pilot light should stay on and boiler shoud light.

If boiler does not light try again. Repeat procedure above once more time.

If boiler does not light call man and ask him to bring a honeywell trade thermocouple with him.

Do you mean Potterton Flamingo ??

B

Is there even a pilot light on modern boilers? Sounds old!

The house we sold after living there for nearly 20 years had a potterton boiler, I ended up taking out a cover plan as something needed replacing at every annual service - usually the main ircyit board which would have been hundreds of pounds without my ten pounds a month potterton gold star cover! Apparently they’re notoriously unreliable, why I didn’t get mine replaced I’ll never know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that after a certain age companies wouldn’t cover a very old boiler. Certainly was the case for me with an 8 year old boiler which BG refused to cover.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Which model is it exactly? Never heard of a potterton F.
    I know what the F stands for if it’s a potterton.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I thought that after a certain age companies wouldn’t cover a very old boiler. Certainly was the case for me with an 8 year old boiler which BG refused to cover.
    Could be if you’re taking out brand new cover , mine is 10 years old with BG. But has been covered with them for 18 months with me , and 5 years plus with previous owner .

Have to say the service has been a god send. so for used them 4 times so far . Two of them leaks !

The BG engineers are good but for leaks they send out dynorod who they own , I got unlucky and the guy can and couldn’t do the job as he didn’t have a tool “ it’s was a leaking end cap on a pipe just need a pipe cutter and new cap. He basically couldn’t be bothered as it was a Sunday afternoon.

I complained as my plumber did it in 15mins , they paid for cost of my plumber and some more on top for the inconvenience.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Could be if you’re taking out brand new cover , mine is 10 years old with BG. But has been covered with them for 18 months with me , and 5 years plus with previous owner .

Have to say the service has been a god send. so for used them 4 times so far . Two of them leaks !
    Agreed. Our boiler is the original one from when the house was built in 1998. It's like Trigger's broom now... every time the maintenance guy comes, he replaces something, and it would have cost us a fortune if we didn't have the maintenance plan.

Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post
    Agreed. Our boiler is the original one from when the house was built in 1998. It's like Trigger's broom now... every time the maintenance guy comes, he replaces something, and it would have cost us a fortune if we didn't have the maintenance plan.
    That was my situation - the boiler wasn’t new when we bought the house, and we lived there for more than 20 years! Must’ve had the boiler cover for nearly all that time, £10 a month to cover annual service and all parts needed for 20 years sounds crazy, but factor in the free service which was normally £80-£100 a year and it was an easy decision