closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speed detectors.

Master

Speed detectors.

Following on re the Speed Awareness Course .

My Mazda MX5 Mk4 Sat Nav had a really good warning system, both visual and audible. The Sat Nav fitted to my Mercedes SLC250d has no such facility. Is there anyway of adding some software etc ? If no, can anyone recommend a decent system?

Can I be first to suggest you just don’t break the speed limit :)

Many TomTom systems have warnings based on the locationservices. They are quite decent.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Have a look at Waze. Its an app you can download for free on to you phone and it can warn of speed traps, hazards, road closures etc. When I say can, it relies on real time user updates. You can add hidden radar traps very simply. The more folk using and updating the more accurate it becomes. As a sat nav, I use it in conjunction with the one fitted in my Merc, but its way way more accurate and up to date with unexpected road closures.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I use this in my merc https://www.scdb.info or try pocket gps website.

If you have the Garmin SD card you need to convert the file and add it onto the Garmin SD card, not sure how well it works. On the 2016 Command Online you just put file on a standard SD and away you go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by collector2018 View Post
    I use this in my merc https://www.scdb.info or try pocket gps website.

If you have the Garmin SD card you need to convert the file and add it onto the Garmin SD card, not sure how well it works. On the 2016 Command Online you just put file on a standard SD and away you go.
    Sorry Stuart Im an odd ball, don't have a mobile phone. :(

Collector, that sounds interesting, but being a numpty I don't understand the mechanics, Are you saying that I can download, or rather get one of the kids to download the data and then feed it into my Sat Nav ( dealer installed)

Ally, I don't habitually speed. However an audible warning means more time watching the road instead of a speedo. Look upon it as an aid to help keep within the law.
    Last edited by BrianT; 19th August 2018 at 14:16.

Master
    My Thinkware Dashcam has audible speed cam warnings both mobile and fixed, which can be updated from the Thinkware website.

It’s actually quite good in that it gives you a ding dong warning and says you’re in a mobile speed camera area, and then it reminds you what the speed limit is...

Not 100% accurate, as I’ve been passed a few camera vans and not had a warning, but it is helpful most of the time...

You can add speed cameras to your Mercedes nav with this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113191639972

Master
    Cyclops app is great for those with a phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Waze satnav app on my mobile has an alert feature to tell you when you are exceeding the speed limit and also tells you of speed cameras.

The other thing that it sometimes announces is "police reported ahead" - which I was sceptical of at first but its invariably right. I'm not sure how it collects this data.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    The Waze satnav app on my mobile has an alert feature to tell you when you are exceeding the speed limit and also tells you of speed cameras.

The other thing that it sometimes announces is "police reported ahead" - which I was sceptical of at first but its invariably right. I'm not sure how it collects this data.
    Its down to ‘wazers’ posting a report where a point of interest is, such as a mobile speed camera, broken down vehicle etc. On the app there is a sort of orange balloon type button, when you see a reportable incident, simply press the button, choose the type of incident you wish to report and thats it really.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If mobile app isn't an option, the pocket gps world database can be added to a tomtom I think. It's the best database out there, the mobile app is invaluable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Waze is excellent for being informed of all kinds of hazards not to mention a great sat nav. I drove from Poole to Darlington the other day and Waze was spot on all the way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    Following on re the Speed Awareness Course .

My Mazda MX5 Mk4 Sat Nav had a really good warning system, both visual and audible. The Sat Nav fitted to my Mercedes SLC250d has no such facility. Is there anyway of adding some software etc ? If no, can anyone recommend a decent system?
    Brian just bought a Mk4 ND MX5 I love the way it says “speed camera ahead” BUT if you are over the limit it then adds “ Slow Down!” Brilliant.

Slight problem if you ever go to France where as you know speed camera detectors are not legal. Mazda sorts this out effortlessly, it turns all warnings off automatically. Then when you pop out into Spain or Germany it pipes up in the first 100m “ Speed camera ahead”

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Waze is excellent for being informed of all kinds of hazards not to mention a great sat nav. I drove from Poole to Darlington the other day and Waze was spot on all the way.
    Right thanks all. I shall investigate the add on suggested by Alex or invest in a phone and try Wazz..

Thanks everyone who contributed.

Got a SAC on Tuesday first in 60 years, hope it's the last.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Good advice. But..easier said than done.
    Human nature dictates you'll lose concentration every now and again.

Right thanks all. I shall investigate the add on suggested by Alex or invest in a phone and try Wazz..

Thanks everyone who contributed.

Got a SAC on Tuesday first in 60 years, hope it's the last.
    The chap who sells the add on POIs on eBay advertises on Instagram under the name Vagclubuk and seems to get very good feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Good advice. But..easier said than done.
    Human nature dictates you'll lose concentration every now and again.
    How about an audible warning on the satnav when speeding then, rather than only indicating where cameras might be?

On my Android phone, for speed cameras I use the CamerAlert application with the PocketGPSWorld camera database, which is about the most comprehensive available.

I also use Velociraptor to show my actual (GPS derived) speed and the speed limit on each road - it can also provide alerts when you are a specific level over the limit (I have mine set to 10% + 1mph, which is 1 mph below the old ACPO guidelines for enforcement).

They both work alongside any navigation app (personally, I've found Google Maps to be consistently the best).

Journeyman
    The easy answer is just install Waze on your phone as somebody else suggested ,save the hassle of trying to install it onto the Garmin sat nav sd Card.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Scots are amongst the least likely to be caught speeding...

Because speeding burns too much fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Scots are amongst the least likely to be caught speeding...

Because speeding burns too much fuel
    But on the other hand, you will get there more quickly so the engine won't be running for so long............

Apprentice
    Sorry Stuart Im an odd ball, don't have a mobile phone. :(
    I’d get an older smartphone, a £5/m GiffGaff sim and install Waze on it. Just leave it in the glovebox for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Many TomTom systems have warnings based on the locationservices. They are quite decent.
    Ditto for my Garmin.