closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another what to see thread - Lisbon?

Another what to see thread - Lisbon?

So I'm off to Lisbon for a week and although I have a couple of bits planned I've nothing much else on.. So, any recommendations?

I'm thinking..

Watch shops - just for a browse
    Record shops - I always end up buying (but I'll research these)
    Some places to eat?
    I do like a bit of culture so museums / galleries / architecture etc?
    Anything else?

Thanks in advance

Craftsman
    Lisbon is a cracking city!

Mercado da Riberia, albeit very touristy, is worth a visit. The pig cheeks and mash in Cozinha Da Felicidade is worth the trip alone!

We really enjoyed a small restaurant called Floresta das Escadinhas. It's just off one of the main thoroughfares, only opens for lunch and has very few tourists. We had the best grilled sardines of our trip there.

Lisbon has some excellent wine bars, our favourites were Grapes & Bites, Artis and BA Wine Bar.

The Oceanarium is very good too if you want to do something a bit different.

If you fancy a trip to the sea-side I highly recommend Cascais. We did two weeks there last year and it was lovely. It's only about 25mins on the train from Lisbon.

Sintra is a similar train ride from Lisbon but was completely overrun with Chinese tourists with selfie sticks, I didn't enjoy the place at all.

Master
    Too many great places and restaurants to list right now. If you have Netflix then suggest watching the Lisbon episode of "somebody please feed Phil".

Good stuff fellas, appreciate it. To be fair, it looks like the sort of place wandering and discovering places is the order of the day..

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    There’s a custard tart place in Belem which everybody goes to. They’re okay if you like custard. And tarts.

Master
    stopped there a couple of times when on a cruise ship,lots of great buildings,great place to just wander around.people are great ,very friendly,but we did meet an aggresive beggar once but he understood good old anglo saxon..

Been twice for short breaks to Lisbon, I think it’s great.

One of the world’s oldest cities, Europe’s westernmost capital & with unusually warm winters due to location & the gulf-stream.

From the Airport, get the Yellow Aerobus - 3 routes to city between 7am-11pm, journey time of 30 mins. Tickets can be bought from driver for €3/€4 & valid on all public transportation (but not metro), for one day.

Barrio Alto (upper town) & Chiado are where the best night life & restaurants are.

They will try and sell you sunglasses and weed there about 50 times a day, but they’re harmless. Just walk away, because some operate ‘Police’ scams in conjunction with a partner.

Bring comfy shoes – it’s a very hilly place, and the intricate calcada paved streets can be uneven.

Tourist tram No. 28 allows you to see all touristic attractions in a day or two.

The 100m tall Cristo-Rei (Christ the King) moment is like a cut-price version of Rio de Janeiro’s Christ statue, offering excellent views. The ferry over to it from Cais do Sodre to Cacilhas is also a good experience.

Elevador de Santa Justa is Lisbon’s only vertical street lift, 45m of wrought -iron monolith built by an apprentice of Gustave Eiffel in 1902.

Castelo de São Jorg (Castle) is where Lisbon was first occupied during Iron Age, then fortified by Romans, Goths & Moors. A nice wander through the Castle ruins, along the walls & towers, then the main square, with its old cannons & great views. A bit of a hike up to it though.

In nearby Belem, the Torre de Belém & Jerónimos Monastery (Vasco da Gama's resting place) are a must.

I concur that the Oceanarium is excellent – the biggest in Europe, I believe.

Cascais & Sintra are worth seeing if you have more time.

For food, anywhere in the Jose Avillez group is highly recommended. He apprenticed under legends like Ferran Adrià & Alain Ducasse. He has an upmarket pizza place and plenty of ‘spendy’ high-class options, but his Cantinho do Avillez offers terrific casual dining at prices that won’t hurt the wallet too much.

There’s plenty of excellent wine bars, lounges & nightclubs. Places playing Fado tend to charge more for the privilege.

One cool little drinking experience is Ginjinha - portugese liqueur made by infusing ginja (Morello cherries) in aguardente (portugese brandy) with sugar, cinnamon & other ingredients. Served as shots with cherry at the bottom. There’s a hole in the wall joint (literally, it’s slightly bigger than a telephone box) call ‘A Ginjinha’ at Rossio Square, beside the National Theatre, that sells the shots onto the street to passers-by. Great fun.

And yes, you’ll eat your body-weight in Belem custard tarts – fresh & warm from the oven, they’re hard to beat, still moist in the centre, caramelised on top, and with flaky pastry surround.

Oh great advice there, I'll digest fully tonight after work. Thanks

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

lots of museums all over the plave from classic cars to dolls... custard tarts at belem - you can buy them from any little shop but they always taste nicer in the belem area and from the original shop (prepare to queue)
    food wise never eaten badly in Lisbon - the foodie markets is my sort of thing but theres lots of high end places too

Cascais & Sintra quick bus / train ride away